Searching for Roanokes lost colony

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Searching for Roanoak's lost colony

"Concerned about their own future and plagued by a lack of food, the colonists persuaded White to return to England for help. He agreed, leaving behind 116 colonists and his newborn granddaughter Virginia Dare - the first English child born in the New World."

I wonder if this Virginia Dare is who the state of Virginia was named after.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D 8) Alright!!! ANOTHER one of my interest areas!!! Read LOTS of theories on this one, and have LOTS of family history/oral traditions about what happened to these folks... GEEEZE, oughta write a book... on "Indians" known as Croatoan BUT! were REALLY a tribe founded by Croatians (NOT Serbs) bought over by the Spanish earlier... Virginia Dare was adopted by that tribe, becoming White Dove... part of the tribe went north to Virginia via Dismal Swamp, settling in with the Chesapeake Tribal Nation, where Pocahontas as a young girl, saw White Dove (a few years older), a white "Indian" speaking her tribal language, as well as "broken English"; Pocahontas'(my "granny" several times over...) father, "King" Powhatan (ALSO my "gramp"...) ;D and his CONFEDERACY wiped 'em out, later... NOT sure what happened to White Dove/Virginia Dare. Meanwhile. PART of the N.C. Tribe moved west to Robeson County area of N.C., to be assimilated into the Lumbee Nation... (blue-eyed "Indians"), some of who even LATER, moved north into NW N.C./SW VA, to become the MELUNGEON Nation... HA! Mountain People... VERY independent... etc. THAT is why Pocahontas was so "fascinated" by the Brit. John Smith... thought HE was a white "Indian"... I can only imagine how PO'ed Powhatan was, thinking he wiped 'em ALL out in Chesapeake area of Virginia, years earlier. John Smith was adopted into the Powhatan Tribe when Pocahontas "saved his life", John Smith FOREVER becoming HER property, according to "rituals" then... THAT is how ALL tribal nations became part of the CONFEDERACY, through the "adoption ritual". BTW, Commonwealth of Virginia was named after the "Virgin Queen" of England, Elizabeth... NOT Virginia Dare...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good post. I read about this yesterday on my aol mailpage and almost posted it myself. Interesting stuff.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

Absolutely fascinating. Would love to hear more but I guess we'll have to wait. ;)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D Gonna "post" a wee bit more and then gotta run up to the WONDERFUL Shenandoah Valley of Virginia to see my folks.. MAYBE, ask for MORE info about this stuff. White Dove is NOT to be confused with the GHOSTLY legend of WHITE DEER, from the Roanoke Island/Lost Colony drama (which I have seen - GREAT!!!). If you ever get a chance to go to the Outter Banks of N.C., do so!!! ANYWAY... the ghostly legend of WHITE DEER on Roanoke Island can be "googled" on the Internet... BUT! briefly shared here. There have been sightings of a "white deer" on Roanoke Island, which the "locals" say is the ghost of Virginia Dare... why "WHITE DEER"? She is white... and fast & fleeting like a deer... deer hunters know about that sort of thing. White Dove did love to run fast, as did Pocahontas (when they were young 'uns)... they even outran the boys of the tribes (guess I would too, if BOYS were after me... LOL). Last names of Melungeons connected with BOTH White Dove/Virginia Dare & Pocahontas are Bowling, Allen, Stratton... TOO many to "list". Pay attention to YOUR family history & "oral traditions"... share what you "know" here. ;)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Searching for Roanoak's lost colony...

Yo! ;D Back from Shenandoah Valley... that is all I can get on WHITE DOVE/Virginia Dare/Lost Colony Descendants; I know beale have 20 + years research info, and I like what I read from him, as it "ties" in with the general info I have. Gonna go to North Carolina "thread" and "alert" them of THIS "thread". Some things I CAN add are: pictures of Chief Sequoia of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation indicate influence from Turkey (nation, not bird...) in that he is wearing arab-looking headband, smoking what appears to be "Brit" type long-stem pipe; influence from BOTH Turkey and England. ALSO... the Cherokee-English alphabet that Sequoia created is on the internet... I have MY copy in my Cherokee file and beale is correct about the Cherokee Bible. Chief's English is probably from his family. With people from N.C. "on the ground" (ECU, ect.) looking into "folk-lore", family history, Native People (AKA "Indians") oral traditions, "tracking" the original "Trail of Tears" (being lost...), this "mystery" can be "solved", MAYBE... DUNNO. ???

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D Looks like we are gonna have to do some "back-tracking" re. this MYSTERY... Melungeons, Cherokee Nation, Lumbee Nation, ORIGINAL story of the Roanoke Colonists... WAR with Spain (reason why John White was late, getting back to the original Brits. - including his granddaughter, Virginia Dare)... LATER, to be known as WHITE DOVE. :) GOTTA be tribal legends in N.C. on this stuff... Chief of Eastern Band of Cherokee Nation (AKA) SEQUOYAH was born in Tennessee @ 1770; his mother was a Cherokee, & his father was a "white" trader... on page 19 of THE CHEROKEE by Emilie U. Lepthien. there is the "pic" of SEQUOYAH wearing "Turk Headband" & with a "Brit." long-stemmed pipe in his mouth... MUCH like my family's clay pipe from Williamsburg, Va. ;) At the "removal" of 1830, MANY of the Eastern Band of Cherokee avoided it by "escaping" to the GREAT SMOKIES Mountain in N.C./Tennessee, and LATER, the MELUNGEONS did the same, to "secure" THEIR traditions, "way of life". etc. MORE names of Melungeons are Mullins, Gibson, see Cindy's List of Melungeon surnames... and READ/RESEARCH the stories of Melungeons from Wythe County, Va. :o :-\ :-X

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D THANKS! kenb... you started this "thread"; family history? The reason why I am so interested is because I heard about part of the survivors of the "lost colony" living BRIEFLY in the Great Dismal, on a MOUND or HILL, that MAY be "seen" as a "boat", BEFORE getting with the Chesapeake Nation (later to be MOSTLY wiped out by the Powhatan Confederacy BEFORE the Brits came to Jamestown). If I was Ray, I would look again at the "image"... go to THAT point in the Great Dismal, and do some archeological excavation... BUT! Like I said, they were only there BRIEFLY. Further "up" in time, from the Native tribes in N.C. to Melungeons in NW N.C./SW Va. crossing over into Tennessee/Kentucky... you have the SWIFT SILVER MINES... YES! I think there is a "connection" between the Lost Colony and Swift's Silver Mines... and "beale" can tell you about what he has seen re. Swift's Silver Mines... ANYWAY... for MORE "sleepless nights". :o ;) :D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

That is cool....

Dr. Ewen is the one who took over for Dr David Phelps (who did the digs on my hubby's property back in 1998, where the 10K gold signet ring was found and traced back to Abraham Kendall, which PRE-DATED the Lost Colony)....proof interaction with the Indians did occur prior to the Lost Colony. Hubby's property was also the center of the Croatain Indian Village.

Fred Willard is the one who contacted my hubby first about doing digs on his property. At the time, Fred and his then-girlfriend, Barbara Midgette, were walking along the beach (on the sound side) of Buxton, when they started finding items of interest. That's when they made phone calls and how they were hooked up with Dr. Phelps. And that was the beginning of the digs started on hubby's property.

Well, Dr. Phelps retired years later to Florida and Fred has been with the Lost Colony organization since then. We went to a symposium some years back. It was interesting to say the least.

Last we talked to Fred, a few months back, they were still trying to work on doing DNA on a town, about 50 or so miles west of Buxton. There's a grave there for a Samuel Elk (his English name)...an Indian....who they believe many of these townfolks are descended from him and possibly the Lost Colony.

As one story has it...when the ship came back and the colony was gone, they went looking and found a village with blonde hair/blue eyed indians...whether they were descendents of the Lost Colonists, I guess it will always remain one of those UNSOLVED MYSTERIES!!!

They were even trying to connect the Lost Colonists to Jamestown. Dr. Kelso is heading the digs at Jamestown. They even found a signet ring there, but the signet ring found on hubby's property, they, last time we talked, could not find a connection to Jamestown.

It would be interesting though, when and if this mystery is ever solved. I am intrigued by it.....

Here's Fred Willard (on the left) with hubby 31 March 2001 when we went to the symposioum at the College of Albemarle (NC)....also a pic of some indian descendants whose tribe move to upstate NY long time ago with some folks from this village who they want to do DNA testing on. They could be descendents of Virginia Dare....but only time will tell.

Attachments

• Img_0636.jpg
    Img_0636.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,561
  • Img_0629.jpg
    Img_0629.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,409

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D Glad to see people responding... I meant to "say" Melungeons of WISE County... not Wythe County. ANYWAY... as I drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway with my wife... I see all the other ridges and Indian Silver Mines just SCREAM out to me; then going to SW Virginia... HA! GOTTA be Silver Mines in those hills!!! GEEEZE!!! ;)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D (Drinking my "High-Test"- Regular Coffee... NOT STARBUCKS... that is "ZINGERS"...); Ron & Ann... THANKS! for the "pics"... the last "pic'' is VERY interesting. I do know the Tuscarara Nation has two "bands", one from N.C. and one in New York. I have a "buddy" who is from Tuscarara Nation, and when he speaks... sounds like he is from New Yawk. R & A, the LAST "pic" of tribal descendants has a interesting "ghostly" image (to me)... behind the fellow on the left, is what appears to be a fellow (shy?)... LAWD GAWD A'MIGHTY! (playing TWILIGHT ZONE THEME...). :o

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

You are most welcomed (for the pics).

I would have to say, I would almost agree with you on the ghostly figure...but that's that man's shadow...you can see it slightly on the others....his just stands out more :)...being we have a spirit in our home, I believe!!! :)

The man on the far right (I wish I could remember everyone's name :()....he told me how his tribe moved to NY many many years ago...I can't remember the entire story (I'm not old yet...but they do say the memory goes first LOL)...

Anyways, they were all super nice folks and I enjoyed my time with them.

I knew the tribe name started with a "T"...but just could not remember the name...thank you for stating so!!

Haven't heard or been to another symposium since....like I said, been a few months since we spoke with Fred last. They (the Lost Colony Center) were trying to get hubby to sign his artifacts over to them (atleast when you read the small print in the document, that is what it boiled down too)...thank goodness hubby reads the FINE PRINT FIRST!!!

I have a thread on here somewhere where I posted items of some of the finds on his property...just look at my postings....it's there :)...even have one of the ring.

As we speak, hubby's items, the ring mainly and a few other artifacts, should be on display at the museum in Raleigh, NC about now...they were going to be placed on display with the paintings of (oh sugar, brain fart again)...John Smith?? Since the paintings and these artifacts all seem to tie into one another, the museum requested a loan of the items...they will be on display, I believe until February.

Anyways, we hope to get down there to check it out!

I love the history of people...don't you?

Have a wonderful day,
Annmarie

PS: Here's my website for my hubby's family history: http://familiesfound.tripod.com/Midgette/midgette.html

I haven't updated in such a long time and have so much data to enter...hopefully I'll be able to get back to it soon :)

If you scroll down to NEWS ARTICLES, there you will see two from the digs. OUR VISIT TO THE DIGS and BUXTON CREW DIGS UP POSSIBLE LOST COLONY LINK

And for the ring posted on the blog where you can see it in 3D...last time I saw that ring, it was not broken as I have a pic of hubby holding it...I wonder if he knows....we haven't seen that ring since I took a pic of him with it...it was a fight to get Dr Phelps to return the ring and a few other items to ECU under the care of Dr Ewen. All have been returned and we will head back there soon to take pics of the collection AGAIN. Hubby was mad last time we went when all we saw were broken shells and pottery!!!

We know the ring has been cleaned and we know Dr Phelps was trying to get copies of it made...whether he did or not, we are not sure. They wanted to sell them in the museum...hubby said NO!!!! They did however, make a cast of it...so the cast could be sent to England for verification on Abraham Kendall. That seal is from the Kendall family as per records in England.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D ;) ("High-Test" smile...): No "ghost", eh? Ah well... (turning off TWILIGHT ZONE theme...); Yeah, Tuscarora Tribal Nation started in North Carolina, until Brits. "wiped most of 'em out" (such VIOLENCE!!!); survivors of Tribe went NORTH to New York to join rest of 'em. See this web-site... Southern-band-tuscarora.com :) There was a Tuscarora War, too... when & where, NOT sure, BUT! some descendants of "Lost Colony" survivors MAY be living in New York, today... as we "speak"... gotta do MORE DNA "testing"... :o ::)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Rebel - KGC said:
Yo! ;D ;) ("High-Test" smile...): No "ghost", eh? Ah well... (turning off TWILIGHT ZONE theme...); Yeah, Tuscarora Tribal Nation started in North Carolina, until Brits. "wiped most of 'em out" (such VIOLENCE!!!); survivors of Tribe went NORTH to New York to join rest of 'em. See this web-site... Southern-band-tuscarora.com :) There was a Tuscarora War, too... when & where, NOT sure, BUT! some descendants of "Lost Colony" survivors MAY be living in New York, today... as we "speak"... gotta do MORE DNA "testing"... :o ::)

I so agree that some LOST COLONIST Descendents could be living in New York and not even know it....I love genealogy and the history of people and it really saddens me when I hear folks say, "I don't care where I came from" or "Why do I need to know who my ancestors were" or "There dead, what can they do for me now"...just some responses I have heard.

My goal is getting together the LARGEST FAMILY TREE of one city(ies)...HAMPTON ROADS area...and so far, I have a great collection started. I research obits, courthouses, newspapers, libraries, cemeteries, where ever I can get input (like JOHNNY 5! :)). Someday I plan to put it into book form and someday, many generations down the road, someone (if only one person) will be happy I did it!!!!

Not only is metal detecting and digs great in perserving our history, the research of people is where we need to start...remembering those who walked this Blue Planet and the ones who made it what it is today. I don't care if they were sharecroppers, farmers, business men/women, housewifes, thieves, robbers, whatever they did in life, they are people too and a part of our history....

I look at people like a book. Some are ADVENTURE STORIES, others SCIFI, still others are COMEDIES, while yet others are MYSTERIES....the Introduction would be about introducing the person you are about to read about...each chapter is a year of that persons life. Describing their joys and loves, their dreams and desires, etc and the Epiloque should be their obituary and sum it up to whom this person was. I don't like 6 line obits that so and so died on such a such day and will be buried at this place....that's not an obit!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread