New Article about Hoard of Gold Coins Found in Nevada

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned long ago that "Gold is where you find it". In other words, you're liable to find it anywhere but there are ways to increase your chances significantly. Searching in and around old houses, with the landowner's permission of course, is one of those ways. Many people didn't trust banks, some still don't, so they buried or hid their savings around their homes for easy access when it was needed. Also, long ago, banks were few and far between and sometimes were hundreds of miles away from a person's home. That's another reason they hid their money.
My primary New Year's Resolution for 2019 will be the same as it was for this year - focus my metal detecting on areas that are most likely to produce gold coins or jewelry. My hope for 2019, in case I don't find it this month, is to find my first gold coin with a metal detector. As far as I know, no one has ever detected one in Brown County, Texas. I want to be the first to do it. Earlier this year, my friend John F., who I was detecting with that day, dug a nearly slick but readable silver 1805 Draped Bust quarter! It was the oldest coin ever found with a detector in Brown County. He found it with his Garrett Ace 250 metal detector.
I have a theory as to why gold coins are so difficult to find here but it would take a book to explain it all and I have no desire nor time to write a book. I'm too busy looking for one.
1f642.png
:)

~Texas Jay

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/o...rd-of-gold-coins-found-at-lovelock-chinatown/

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip on the viewing of that collection...!
I will give it a shot, next time I'm in the town!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay, thank you for attaching the article as it certainly shows the intent of humans to "keep their valuables safe" and close by. Now "close by" is something subjective and established by the person that 'hides' what they consider to be valuable.

Quite a bit of information has been published on what type of thinking goes into a hiding spot, so the spots are wide open based on who did the hiding and just what was a significant marker in their mind.

Research has been helpful in many cases to establish a starting point for locations to detect though chance finds continue to be among the typical way caches are located. The hunt is exciting!..............63bkpkr

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I also am happy about the attached cache article. They are inspiring.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I sent this to my brother who lived in Lovelock, NV for several years. He did a lot of detecting around there but managed to miss this one. He did find quite a bit of gold though.

-- Prospector

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't read it. There was also an article about stuff found at the Carson City Mint when they were doing landscaping, but they say I've reached my limits... My limit must be 0.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread