California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How it got there, is one thing, but I have seen a coin tree in the UK, on one YouTube video,
from sone of my favorite detectorists, I assume....
Cool Find...! :icon_thumright:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
People do things for a variety of reasons. Coin trees can be found throughout Great Britain and Ireland. More isolated cases can be found in nearly every northern european country I’ve been to.

Why? Who cares? Pull a few coins from your pocket, grab a hammer, and drive those pence, euros, or krona into that wood. Again with “Why?”. For the same reason you pulled off your sneaks, tied the laces together, and tossed them into the shoe tree when you were on that road trip. Because it was both fun, meaningless and harmless when it happened.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Organicseekers

Organicseekers

Dec 26, 2018
Wales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to beliefs that date back to the beginning of the 18th century, one could rid herself of an illness by sticking a coin into a wishing tree so that the tree would assume the illness. If a person pulled one of the wishing tree’s coins out, he would become ill. Others thought that they would be granted a wish once the coin was driven past the bark and into the tree’s wood.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/great-britain-wishing-trees

wishing-tree-coins.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Healing trees. Medicine trees. Wishing trees. Just a few of the many reasons to put a coin in a tree. All reasons I have heard have some validity. I have also heard of offerings to gods, trolls, elves, angels, demons, and a host of others, depending on local legend, lore, history, and religion.

The historians and archeologists can put what labels they wish on these actions.

Time for more coffee.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Start one somewhere and see how long it takes to make the news

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions: