kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Archaeologists stumble on sensational find
4 October 2007 | 14:17 | Source: Beta
Prokuplje -- Serbian archaeologists found evidence of the what could be the oldest metal workshop in all of Europe.

According to National Museum archaeologist Dušan Šljivar, experts found a “copper chisel and stone ax at a location near Prokuplje in which the foundation has proven to be 7,500 years old, leading us to believe that it was one of the first places in which metal weapons and tools were made in prehistory.”

Archaeologists hope that this find in southern Serbia will prove the theory that the metal age began a lot earlier than it was believed to have, Šljivar told Beta news agency. He leads the team of archaeologists that have been investigating the site over the past decade.

Šljivar said that this finding, along with 40 similarly valuable ones before it, among which there were more parts of metal tools and weapons, as well as a smelter and furnace, prove that man on this territory began working with metal more than 5,000 years before the new era.

Prokuplje Museum archaeologist Julka Kuzmanović-Cvetković said that the site “shows that the people living on our territory started a civilization that presented the basics of the technological revolution.”

“We want to prove that the site was a metal works centre in the central part of the Balkans,” she said.

The Ministry of Culture has set aside some EUR 12,500 for this year's excavation at the site near Prokuplje, called Pločnik.

Šljivar said that these funds have enabled experts to investigate with more detail the 25 square meters and find new specimens.

Pločnik was uncovered accidentally in 1927 while the Niš-Priština railway was being built and has been actively investigated with great interest since 1996 by Serbian and international experts.

kenb

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thanks vicki, I used to check 6 or 7 web sites a day for archy news and treasure stuff. I sighned up to the best three and now I get daily E-mails of the articles that most intrest me. I dont post half the ones read.

kenb

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A good site that I check a couple of times a week is Treasure Center, look under latest headlines. They have stuff from all over the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread