James Gang gold found at Mystery Cave

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Interesting article, I enjoyed it. He did give 3 clues: "Isaacson realizes others may also head to the park to search, and he welcomes them but suggested, with a wink, “Anybody looking for gold there needs to keep three things in mind… Number One: Obey all park rules. B: Keep safety in mind; there are a lots of thorny bushes and stuff, and snakes in the summer. And on the third hand, it’s worthwhile to give careful consideration to the date of this publication.” Publication date: April 1st, 2019....and No pics of the gold
Good Luck, Ron

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- "It was three small, heavy chunks of corroded metal or something. I brought them home and power-washed them, and found out they are small gold bars."

Call me cynical but gold doesn't corrode or oxidize, so to me this smacks of one those stories to get people to visit a certain place or area to spend their money.

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also dated APRIL 1st.

maybe, just maybe a fools joke?

Someone finds 16 pounds of gold, and nothing in the news?

tim

Last edited:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
16 pounds, which at current gold prices (roughly $1,300 an ounce) equates to a value of around $331,000. - Date: 1 April 2019.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to call BS on this one. Icewing is correct, gold, especially any in bars, coins, or bullion will not rust or corrode at all even after thousands of years in the ground or water.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to call BS on this one. Icewing is correct, gold, especially any in bars, coins, or bullion will not rust or corrode at all even after thousands of years in the ground or water.
Look at the 2 Twenty Dollar Gold coins on my avatar. They were dirty and looked pinkish. I wasn't positive they were gold until I washed them and put on my glasses.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been to the cave, and yes, the tour HAD TO mention the James Gang, in the cave guides' spiel...!
Good to see someone found the treasure...! :icon_thumright:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... gold does discolor / tarnish IF in correct circumstance... the whole theory gold never does only exists in a perfect world.

"Theory must never contradict empirical fact" - A. Einstein

Just a few pics I had offhand.

unnamed.jpg The-SS-Gairsoppa-Treasure.jpg gold_bar_spoon_and_pewter_shaker_box.jpg SOP-AP-SPANA-SPAN-CA-_Ramí.jpg 9321456_1 (2).jpg article-2410051-1B993D1A000005DC-552_306x423.jpg

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you read the hole artical youll find that its a April fools joke....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread