tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A chess piece purchased for a few pounds (dollars) by an antiques dealer in Scotland in 1964 has been identified as one of the 900-year-old Lewis Chessmen, among the greatest artifacts of the Viking era.

Sotheby's auction house said Monday that the chess piece is expected to bring between 600,000 pounds ($670,000) and 1 million pounds ($1.26 million) at an auction next month.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...-chessmen-piece-found-auctioned-july-63446730

Attachments

• britain-lewis-chessmen.jpg
    britain-lewis-chessmen.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 130

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Lost Lewis Chessman piece bought for £5 sells for £735,000 at auction

A medieval chess piece kept in a drawer of an Edinburgh home has been sold at auction for £735,000.

Its previous owners had no idea that the object was one of the long-lost Lewis Chessmen.

The chessmen were found buried in a sand dune on the Isle of Lewis in 1831 but the whereabouts of five pieces have remained a mystery.

The Edinburgh family's grandfather, an antiques dealer, had bought the chess piece for £5 in 1964.

The new owner of the piece has not been named. Sotheby's said the price set a new record for a medieval chess piece at auction.

chessman.jpg

More at the link:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotlan..._kznsbuv0LNMxNaeIXNllKvAmIfa8xboHDUVH9OE0MMQ8

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article mentions it's the first to be found of the missing pieces. Where in the heck are the others???

Damn... that's those things I sold at my yard sale last year for $1 dollar each.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn... that's those things I sold at my yard sale last year for $1 dollar each.
Don't feel bad, apparently anyone who has any of these don't know what they are. So did you have all five of the missing ones or just a couple?.. I think I had one I got at a thrift store, but son of a gun if my dog didn't take it for a chew-bone. It was after all ivory and a lot like the short pieces of deer antler he's got to gnaw on when he's bored. Maybe I'll go look in the yard or under the furniture and seat cushions to see if I can find what's left of that old chess piece. Even if it's all chewed to heck, it's still gotta be worth something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Lewis Chessman piece bought for £5 sells for £735,000 at auction

A medieval chess piece kept in a drawer of an Edinburgh home has been sold at auction for £735,000.

Its previous owners had no idea that the object was one of the long-lost Lewis Chessmen.

The chessmen were found buried in a sand dune on the Isle of Lewis in 1831 but the whereabouts of five pieces have remained a mystery.

The Edinburgh family's grandfather, an antiques dealer, had bought the chess piece for £5 in 1964.

The new owner of the piece has not been named. Sotheby's said the price set a new record for a medieval chess piece at auction.

View attachment 1728850

More at the link:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotlan..._kznsbuv0LNMxNaeIXNllKvAmIfa8xboHDUVH9OE0MMQ8
Boy they were close on that auction estimate. $925,438.50 ain't to shappy for some old knick knack sitting around in a drawer.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill keep my eye out fot em lol then my hand out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread