Metal detector enthusiast uncovers amazing trove of coins on ancient, bloody battlesi

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/science/met...-trove-of-coins-on-ancient-bloody-battle-site

By Chris Ciaccia | Fox News

(Video on site)

A metal detector enthusiast has found a treasure trove of silver coins that may have been used during a bloody battle in the early 14th century.

Jaroslaw Musialkowski, 45, and his brother Marcin discovered 200 coins underneath a tree at an undisclosed location on the site of the Battle of Roslin, an epic battle during the First War of Scottish Independence, SWNS reported.

"We had found some silver at the site before, but nothing of this level," Jaroslaw said in comments obtained by SWNS. "We had some archaeological experts come down and excavate the site. They picked up some items but not many."

Jaroslaw-Musialkowski-coins-2-SWNS.jpg
Amateur historian Jaroslaw Musialkowski who discovered over 200 14th century coins from a former military camp near the site of the Battle of Roslin, where Scottish forces led by John Comyn decimated their English counterparts in 1303. (Credit: SWNS)

He added: "It was only after we went back and found 44 more coins that we realized we were really on to something."

The Battle of Roslin saw more than 20,000 people lose their lives when Scottish soldiers defeated English troops. It is widely believed that of the 30,000 English soldiers who entered the battlefield, approximately only 2,000 survived.

Jaroslaw-Musialkowski-coins-1-SWNS.jpg
Some of the currency appears to bear a resemblance to English monarch King Edward I, who reigned from 1271 until 1307. Other coins appear to be from an Irish mint. (Credit: SWNS)

The coins, which are being analyzed by experts at the National Museum of Scotland, resemble English monarch King Edward I, whose reign lasted from 1271 to 1307.

Jaroslaw-Musialkowski-coins-5-SWNS.jpg
The 200 coins were discovered by Jaroslaw Musialkowski and his brother Marcin hidden beneath a tree, and archaeologists are examining whether there is a connection with the bloody battle, in 1303. (Credit: SWNS)

Some of the other coins may be from an Irish mint. It's also possible that the silver coins could have belonged to local people, known as "working women's silver."

“There were thousands of men in the camp, so it is possible," Jaroslaw said. "But I think it is more likely to have been payment for mercenaries who took part in the battle.

Jaroslaw-Musialkowski-coins-3-SWNS.jpg
Amateur historian Jaroslaw Musialkowski discovered over 200 14th century coins from a former military camp near the site of the Battle of Roslin where Scottish forces led by John Comyn decimated their English counterparts in 1303. (SWNS)<br> ​​​​​

“Those hiring them would not have wanted to pay out before they were killed - it is much cheaper to just pay who is left," Jaroslaw continued. “So I think it is possible it was buried with the intention of digging it up later, but we have to wait and see what the museum says."

The coins, which were found in March, were discovered alongside pottery. The Scottish Treasure Trove unit has confirmed it was analyzing the find, but a spokesman said they would not offer additional comment after the items were appraised.

Jaroslaw-Musialkowski-coins-4-SWNS.jpg
"It was only after we went back and found 44 more coins that we realized we were really on to something." (SWNS)

Here's a comment or two I need to insert here - which matter!

The laws regarding antiquities in the British Isles are pretty strict. All finds like this are considered to be property of the government. He will probably get a commission, but he had to turn them over.

Really disappointing....

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes my recent Zincoln spill look like chump change!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be so awesome! I see he used a Garrett ACE 400 and what looks like a huge coil. The stuff is still out there, waiting for us to get off the computer and go for it.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be so awesome! I see he used a Garrett ACE 400 and what looks like a huge coil. The stuff is still out there, waiting for us to get off the computer and go for it.

My special 'UNIT' looks that large too from the right camera angle...:laughing7: Perspective is everything :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread