tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's a much better update. I keep a recording of the NatGeo episode on that find, just to watch again sometimes. Probably the greatest metal detecting find of all time so far. The workmanship of those artifacts are just unbelievable.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly unbelievable!

I have heard that the finder and land owner had a falling out about the treasure, and the owner doesnt like the publicity. I heard it took quite a doing to get him to go on camera for that show.

I used to have it saved on my DVR, but then it died and I lost that and many other saved treasure shows.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"We notice you are using an ad blocker. Please give us money to view this article"
Ya, sure....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"We notice you are using an ad blocker. Please give us money to view this article"
Ya, sure....

interesting, I'm not using an ad blocker (yet) so I didnt get a message like that. heres a cliff's notes version.

Its believed that the items are a mix of the gold and silver bits from martial and religious items. Its believed that all the items came from a series of battles during the christianization period of England, and that likely a tribal army defeated the Romans. Its believed the religious items were carried into battle as good luck charms / protective devices. Sort of a literal "If God goes before us, we cant lose" situation. One of the major parts of the hoard was from a religious headpeice unlike any known, and it may re-write some of the early religious regalia concepts. They may even have an ID on the religious leader who wore it, and the faction leaders of the battle.

Still undecided if the items were buried as a source of war loot that someone intended to retrieve or if they were buried as a religious offering/thanks for winning the battles.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my dream he stole it him and Mel Fisher cant imagine finding that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread