Huge blue gree opal found in Nevada

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
From and more photos at https://www.geologyin.com/2017/06/r..._fUUoXYaPo5ROg7g4l6VfE6Sw#s2qfo7OgBPJSy1kf.99
That rock is worth a heap of $$$$$

The Roebling Opal is an extraordinary 2,585-carat piece of opal rough and is also the largest unpolished black Opal.

It came out of the tunneled portion of the Rainbow Ridge Mine in 1917 from
Virgin Valley, Nevada
. The opal was deposited from silica-rich water in voids that remained after buried tree limbs had rotted away, in some cases resulting in opal casts of the original tree parts.

Although extremely beautiful, opal from this locality is not commonly used in jewelry because it tends to craize, or crack. Opals with a vivid play-of-color and a black or other dark body color are called black opals. The Roebling Opal is a black opal with flashes of blue and green play-of-color.

The Roebling Opal was donated by John A. Roebling in 1926 and now rests with the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.

The%2BRoebling%2BOpal%2B%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Roebling%2Bopal.jpg

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
apparently found in many places, my grandfather had a ranch in Calaveras County that had "Opal Hill" with a chalk seam where we would dig out small opals with a pocket knife

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that would be awesome

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apparently found in many places, my grandfather had a ranch in Calaveras County that had "Opal Hill" with a chalk seam where we would dig out small opals with a pocket knife

I remember Opal Hill. I went there with my Lapidary class in 1964.

Wow that was a long time ago. Thanks for the reminder.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner for mr. Roebling....that thing is incredible. Maybe I saw it at the Smithsonian many years ago as a kid !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread