🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was received from AP

"Piles of Old Money Found in Pa. Home
Published: 10/27/07, 3:46 PM EDT

WINDBER, Pa. (AP) - Talk about throwing away money. Piles of old coins worth as much as $200,000 were found in a long-abandoned home, including scores that the owner had apparently thrown down a hole in the wall.

Jeff Bidelman, owner of Rare Collectibles near Johnstown, said he was helping the family clean out the house after the death of the owners, who had not lived there for two decades.

He was dragging a bag of old coins down the steps when he noticed the hole in an upstairs wall.

"The woman said when she was a kid, there were always rumors that that's where they threw their money," Bidelman told the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat.

Within minutes of tearing down the first-floor wall below the hole, Bidelman was wading in piles of old coins.

"They think they are going to get $100,000," Bidelman said. "I think they will probably get $200,000."

After sorting through the coins, Bidelman found some minted as early as 1793. Some are worth about $8,500 and have already been posted on the Web for purchase, Bidelman said.

The family's name and the exact location of the home in Windber, about 10 miles southeast of Johnstown, has not been disclosed."

TE

SAME STORY DIFFERENT SOURCE:
Treasure trove of rare coins found in dilapidated home

BY RANDY GRIFFITH
The Tribune-Democrat

Jeff Bidelman already was dragging a huge bag of old coins when he noticed a hole in the wall of a dilapidated Windber home.

“The woman said when she was a kid, there were always rumors that that’s where they threw money,” Bidelman said at his business, Rare Collectibles, in The Galleria in Richland Township.

Within minutes, Bidelman and the former residents’ daughter discovered that the rumors were true. Bidelman found himself literally wading in old, valuable coins.

“They think they are going to get (at least) $100,000,” Bidelman said. “I think they will probably get $200,000.”

The home had been unoccupied for almost 20 years, and the former family members who were living there have died, Bidelman explained. Their children asked Bidelman to look through the home for items of value.

“I was upstairs digging around,” Bidelman said. “I found a whole pile of coins.”

Scooping them into a plastic bag, he had to drag the heavy load and was starting downstairs when he noticed a hole in the wall.

“You don’t just have a hole in the wall,” he said.

He asked the late owners’ daughter to explain the hole, and she recalled the family rumors from her youth.

Bidelman quickly found the first-floor wall below the hole and began tapping near the floor. It sounded solid.

“When I got to about teeth level, I heard, ‘chink, chink,’” he said.

Bidelman opened the wall and the coins rushed out, “ballooning” under pressure.

Coins that have been sorted so far date from 1826 through 1964 and include large cents and seated Liberty dimes.

The coins have been removed from the old house and placed in secure locations.

So far, Bidelman has sorted and cataloged coins with a face value of about $8,500. Value to collectors will be much more, Bidelman said, adding he is already putting some items on the popular Internet auction site eBay.

There were several “large cent” coins, which were minted from 1793 to 1857. The face value is one cent, but Bidelman expects to get at least $20 each.

The family asked Bidelman not to identify them or the location of the home, especially after reading recent news reports of a woman who allegedly tried to burglarize a Windber home while the family was attending a funeral.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
That's pretty incredible. The house we moved into as a kid had a slot cut into a pipe that was used as a diagonal to hold up a post by the ront gate. Apparently, a previous owner had droped his change into the slot every day when coming home from work and the pipe was full of change when my father was tearing down the old fence. Nothing really old or valuable though.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
hsjrev said:
That's pretty incredible. The house we moved into as a kid had a slot cut into a pipe that was used as a diagonal to hold up a post by the ront gate. Apparently, a previous owner had droped his change into the slot every day when coming home from work and the pipe was full of change when my father was tearing down the old fence. Nothing really old or valuable though.

It's our duty to create a stash for future 'th'ers ! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions