garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=3]A 3,000-year-old Bronze Age chisel and knife blade found by two amateur metal detectorists have been formally declared as treasure.
[/h]Matthew Hepworth and David Kierzek unearthed the tanged chisel, knife blade, and two fragments of bronze slag during a find at Bolton-le-Sands, near Lancaster, in February 2013.

416436b5-4856-4778-a2a6-26f74a571567.png

Read more: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/people/3...-lancaster-is-declared-as-treasure-1-10181892

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
treasure ? (desirable artifact, for sure)
ok, but we have posters here from other countries who sell this stuff where it is legal

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Huge +1 in the UK anything they want to take, they call it "Treasure Trove" and the finder get a % of the real value....

treasure ? (desirable artifact, for sure)
ok, but we have posters here from other countries who sell this stuff where it is legal

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
its all about 'legal', and we don't get to define that
here in Costa Rica it all belongs to the state, is that better ?
(better than what/where ?)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if archaeologists go out to where this was found and dig around looking for spider jaws, cockroach shells, and mouse toenails?

If not, we could donate some of ours, if the Brits would have them.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link didn't really work for me, pics of the other finds can be found here: https://digventures.com/barrowed-time/virtual-museum/morecambe-hoard/

Honestly, aside from the simple tanged chisel everything was basically junk from a collector's standpoint. The chisel is nice enough but a common style for the Isle and would go for less than 100 bucks even on a good day if the examples I've seen sell are used as a reference.

It's an interesting find and hopefully the Archies actually do their job and squeeze some additional prehistorical context from the site, but seriously it's gotta be the most pitiful "treasure hoard" I've ever seen from the UK.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just cool lucky people

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread