garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of the summer of 2017, Einar Åmbakk and two of his friends were hunting reindeer high in the mountains of Oppland County, Norway. At one point, Åmbakk happened to look down and spotted something amazing–lying in between the rocks was a 1,200-year-old Viking sword in remarkably good condition.

img_4545_rev-2-1-768x1024-480x640.jpg

Read more: Hunters find a 1,200-year-old Viking sword in remarkably good condition

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes that would be sweet. I bet thats worth a fortune

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, for posting this !!
What-a-Discovery, huh?

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
mondo cool but this does not inspire one to report anything they may find....

In Norway, the Cultural Heritage Act requires that any archaeological finds dated before 1537 AD must be reported and the artifacts belong to the state. Landowners must pay for any recovery work done at the site, which could run into hundreds of thousands of dollars. For this reason, many valuable and historically important finds are believed to be lost. Contractors will keep findings quiet because of the time required for archaeologists to set up a team and harvest the relics....

Farmers often leave artifacts in the ground or hide them in fear that their farms will be dug up and crops destroyed with the influx of geologists, metal detectorists, and archaeologists coming in–and then having to pay for it all.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s absolutely wrong that they should have to pay for it. It should be that the land owner gets paid for the damage done to the land and the hassle while it’s being excavated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread