WWII Mauser handgun found off Australia coast

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wartime pistol found off WA coastline

A pistol found off the WA coast has been identified as one of just a handful of artefacts recovered from Australia's worst maritime disaster, the 1941 sinking of the cruiser HMAS Sydney with all hands by the German raider Kormoran.

The loaded Mauser handgun was found by 19-year-old Geraldton electrician Tom Goddard, who was diving for fishing lures less than 50m from the shoreline.

It is thought the weapon was used by a German officer to keep survivors in check as they drifted in lifeboats towards the barren WA coastline north of Carnarvon.

"I was diving on the reefs when I spotted a row of brass bullets glittering in the water," Mr Goddard has told The Australian newspaper.

"They were all lined up, I went down and cleaned away the rocks and sand and there was a whole pistol, I couldn't believe it."

The find has been authenticated by a team of archaeologists from the WA Maritime Museum.

An official search for the HMAS Sydney is expected to begin early next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...ff-WA-coastline/2007/11/02/1193619092214.html

kenb

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Thank for sharing this Ken, this is an important part of Aussie history. I'm wondering how the pistol got so close to shore when the battle was at sea. I've seen the bullet riddled life raft at the Australian War Memorial and it sure makes you wonder what really happened. I hope they can track her down next year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread