Jeweler buries $1M of treasure around Michigan

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
So you didn't have any luck finding the Forest Fenn treasure? No worries! Just head up to Michigan and find your share of $1,000,000 before it's gone!

Jeweler buries $1M of treasure around Michigan and is selling tickets for a quest

Johnny Perri has been a jeweler his whole life and learned the business from his dad. He decided to wipe the shelves clean at his Macomb County shop J&M Jewelers.

"I said Amy, we can take everything out and retire or we can bury it across the state of Michigan," he said.

He and his wife Amy picked option two - burying a million dollars’ worth of treasure in dozens of spots from metro Detroit, north throughout the Upper Peninsula.

Buried treasure - a thing of the movies or pirate tales, right?

"We went through waterfalls, streams, we kayaked everywhere," he said.

"As soon as I release the clues the race is on," he said.

More at the links... https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/jeweler-buries-1m-of-treasure-around-michigan-and-is-selling-tickets-for-a-quest?utm_campaign=trueAnthem_manual&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0x23Uac6PGTJe4BFOPzvOyntf7fHEX4tkl8Sv-c2sSRk7KiPVnGnmUHaA

https://www.johnnystreasurequest.com/

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me...

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm relieved it's not closer to me. Too stressful :unhappysmiley:

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be a multiple hunt format in different counties in Michigan.
The 1st begins at 10 a.m. on Aug. 1 in Oakland County.(NW Detroit)
The prize is two 100-ounce bars of .999 pure silver, which is worth about $4,200. The winner will have to option to keep the bars or to sell them back to the former jeweler.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first three hunts were sold out. I registered for the 9/13 hunt (Macomb County) and it was $59.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so its a seeded hunt for profit, not a treasure hunt......kinda ruins the spirit of things

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it seems to be. I have a long background in outdoor simulated treasure hunting and puzzle hunts (letterboxing, co founder and author), so this is right up my alley and appeals to me. I would describe it as an outdoor puzzle hunt for profit, based on what I have seen on the website.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so its a seeded hunt for profit, not a treasure hunt......kinda ruins the spirit of things
Yea and no one but him knows how many tix were sold. And who knows who may have seen him lurking around or followed him.
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what if no one finds his seeded treasure? He reclaims it for another hunt?

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what if no one finds his seeded treasure? He reclaims it for another hunt?

I think there is a chance they will be found before the hunt. We are treasure hunters, after all.

As for the question on number of tix sold per hunt, this is disclosed if you register, but there is this really long NDA as part of the registration process, which I only skimmed, so I am uncomfortable giving the number lest I run afoul of the NDA.

I've written these things myself. I just do it as a hobby cuz I just enjoy writing them. My largest prize was only $70 in silver, but I don't charge anyone; its on the cloud, and if you find it you find it, if you don't you don't. As I said before, assuming it is legit, it is puzzle hunting, not treasure hunting. Sort of what they called "Armchair Treasure Hunting" back in the day. It could be fun, and I hope that it is.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in MI, don't see the attraction and am not even remotely interested.
Sounds like a publicity stunt more than anything. "Getting out of the business !" yet he'll buy it back from you if you want, sheesh.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sure he stands to make a lot of money from this hunt.

Indeed he does. If you take the price X number of entrants per hunt vs the claimed treasure per hunt, it is staggering. Yes, there is some overhead such as technical, travel, and admin costs, but take them out, it is still staggering.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in MI, don't see the attraction and am not even remotely interested.
Sounds like a publicity stunt more than anything. "Getting out of the business !" yet he'll buy it back from you if you want, sheesh.

Same here Xraywolf I to am from MI and this event is not appealing to me at all, we had a local church that would do a egg drop from a helicopter they dont do it any more because it turned into adults slugging it out for plastic eggs to give to there kids and 3/4 of the crowd didnt belong to the church..

Ill be out looking for real treasure, I do hope people who cant get out find enjoyment in this....

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a chance they will be found before the hunt. We are treasure hunters, after all.

As for the question on number of tix sold per hunt, this is disclosed if you register, but there is this really long NDA as part of the registration process, which I only skimmed, so I am uncomfortable giving the number lest I run afoul of the NDA.

I've written these things myself. I just do it as a hobby cuz I just enjoy writing them. My largest prize was only $70 in silver, but I don't charge anyone; its on the cloud, and if you find it you find it, if you don't you don't. As I said before, assuming it is legit, it is puzzle hunting, not treasure hunting. Sort of what they called "Armchair Treasure Hunting" back in the day. It could be fun, and I hope that it is.
Reminds me of that book from the 1980's, "The Secret".
Verse and Artwork are clues for treasure in 12 cities across the USA. Most of the gemstones 💎 for that treasure hunt have yet to be claimed 🔎. Great marketing idea for that book though.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed he does. If you take the price X number of entrants per hunt vs the claimed treasure per hunt, it is staggering. Yes, there is some overhead such as technical, travel, and admin costs, but take them out, it is still staggering.

Malenkai, do you know if the August 1st treasure was found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread