gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detectorist was arrested in Spain for possession of antiquities he dug. Guy posted his finds on social media and the authorities traced him and searched his place where they found multiple gold and other items from Roman and other ancient eras. I don't know what the Spanish laws are regarding his hunting but it was stupid to post his finds on social media if they were illegally obtained. Here's the link to the story, looks like he found some great stuff in the photos.

https://apple.news/ALSOxVdUZSNi6i1imEuDDOg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is there to say?
Illegal activity, is just wrong to brag about it..., PUBLICLY...!
Nice haul, however...!

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood "why" authorities choose the option to "leave" antiquities buried, never to be discovered rather than recovered and appreciated by those who cherish them. Is it "jealously" of those who can/will go to the trouble, or simply inflated ego for "position" and perceived "power" over others? Just DUMB! "NEVER" recovered = "FOREVER" loss.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's because power is exercised by saying "NO". For people who enjoy power, the ultimate high is being able to tell other people that they can't do what they want to do.
It has nothing to do with logic, or antiquities...those are just excuses.
Jim

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do the people like this seem to be the ones to find it. Might as well go to the PD and show off your finds jeeeze

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never understood "why" authorities choose the option to "leave" antiquities buried, never to be discovered rather than recovered and appreciated by those who cherish them. Is it "jealously" of those who can/will go to the trouble, or simply inflated ego for "position" and perceived "power" over others? Just DUMB! "NEVER" recovered = "FOREVER" loss.

I don't think you understand. This guy dug up items possibly made by Phonecians thousands of years ago. They were one of the first seafaring nations and traces of them are rare. When this guy found stuff like that he should have notified the archies like they do in England and Scandinavia. Just digging random holes and recovering things from different depths results in loss of important information as to age of settlement. We in this country don't have a chance to find an ancient possibly Phonecian settlement or trading area, and when a site like that is discovered the archies should be allowed to excavate the area properly and be able to learn the site's ancient history to share with all of us, and their discoveries placed in a museum for all people to see. Quite possibly as the discoverer of the site he may have even been allowed to help the archies which often happens in Europe. This ain't diggin' dimes and pulltabs or even class rings!!

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you understand. This guy dug up items possibly made by Phonecians thousands of years ago. They were one of the first seafaring nations and traces of them are rare. When this guy found stuff like that he should have notified the archies like they do in England and Scandinavia. Just digging random holes and recovering things from different depths results in loss of important information as to age of settlement. We in this country don't have a chance to find an ancient possibly Phonecian settlement or trading area, and when a site like that is discovered the archies should be allowed to excavate the area properly and be able to learn the site's ancient history to share with all of us, and their discoveries placed in a museum for all people to see. Quite possibly as the discoverer of the site he may have even been allowed to help the archies which often happens in Europe. This ain't diggin' dimes and pulltabs or even class rings!!

Absolutely right!

It' also worth pointing out that most places in Europe don't have the concept of 'finders keepers' for items of value but of non-archaeological significance. There was a guy arrested and charged with 'theft by finding' in Spain a few years ago for selling relatively modern rings, bracelets, earrings and such that he had found by metal-detecting on beaches and in parkland. As is the case in the UK you have to report such items if they are of value and/or make a reasonable effort to give the original owners or their heirs a chance to reclaim the items. The exception is for items regarded as 'abandoned' rather than 'lost', or if it is clear there is no realistic prospect of the original owner being located. Otherwise, the items only become yours after a period of time has elapsed without the owner coming forward or being traced. The time period varies according to country, but in Spain I think its two years.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding posting valuable finds on social media or forums like this, it has been reported that in the US the IRS has come after people for posting big dollar finds. Don't know if the reports are true or not.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding posting valuable finds on social media or forums like this, it has been reported that in the US the IRS has come after people for posting big dollar finds. Don't know if the reports are true or not.

Happens here sometimes too, although (unlike the US) the proceeds of casual sales are not regarded as income unless you are effectively creating an income stream by making regular sales over longer periods of time.

Such sales here however are regarded as ‘Capital Gains’ since you make a profit by selling finds. The personal limit is currently £12,300 per annum, above which you are liable for CG tax at 10% if you’re a basic-rate taxpayer, or 20% if you’re above the basic rate. You can deduct legitimate expenses from your profit (eg if you paid for the items to be professionally cleaned or restored before sale).

I know someone who was threatened with prosecution unless he coughed up HMRC’s estimate of how much profit he had been making (which was much higher than what he had actually made, but lower than his fine would have been if he had gone to court).

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I think the planet-wide policy should be modeled after the UK Treasure Act. It is so unbelievable that ANY government could have their act together so well as to create the perfect law for this, but Britain surely succeeded.

Sure would be nice if such a law was instituted here in the States, but as it is, the current hodge-podge of non-uniform laws (mostly designed to steal the finds from the finder) cause a lot of detectorists to never report their finds.

Surely if I found some hoard worth a lot, I would not mind having the income from it taxed, as this is the country I live in, and I want to help pay my fair share of the overhead for the society I live in.

But not everyone thinks that way, and the current laws only encourage lawlessness.

Those Phoenician items are priceless.

And the guy who found them is a bloody idiot, and should be flogged for being so stupid.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most antiquities do not end up on public display in Museums. Most get cataloged and get stored away to be seldom seen again even by scholars or scientists and over time get pilfered by their supposed caretakers. The US National Park Service alone has over 45 million natural, historic and prehistoric objects !

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most antiquities do not end up on public display in Museums. Most get cataloged and get stored away to be seldom seen again even by scholars or scientists and over time get pilfered by their supposed caretakers. The US National Park Service alone has over 45 million natural, historic and prehistoric objects !

I guess you just don't get it either. Any major museum in the world would be honored to display Phoenecian gold objects, they are that rare. This guy hit a possibly truly important site in world history. If, when archies do dig professionally there and more Phoenecian objects are found, especially gold or silver ones they will bee displayed in a major museum without a doubt. Yes, I agree about some museums and the park service. Nobody needs thousands and thousands of arrowheads, many museums have stuff nobody sees, and museums also sell donated items to make money for operating costs. BUT, Phoenician gold does not fall in the category of arrowheads or CW bullets which are quite common, but is in a class of it's own and if owned by a government will be on public display.

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Valid argument...BUT, most sites (incl. state parks) NEVER had Phoenician or ANY other ancient settlements! Native Americans??? I'm certain they are unlikely to have dropped/lost old coins or gold jewelery. Sorry...but I STILL fail to see why so-called US authorities adamantly refuse detectorist. Worse...I've personally been instructed that I cannot "pick up an arrowhead or ANY artifact" I might find lying on the ground in plain sight. "Belongs to the State" but my point is "who is going to enjoy it, if no one else ever sees it???????????????" Again...NEVER discovered = FOREVER lost!

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Valid argument...BUT, most sites (incl. state parks) NEVER had Phoenician or ANY other ancient settlements! Native Americans ??? I'm certain they are unlikely to have dropped/lost old coins or gold jewelery. Sorry...but I STILL fail to see why so-called US authorities adamantly refuse detectorist. Worse...I've personally been instructed that I cannot "pick up an arrowhead or ANY artifact" I might find lying on the ground in plain sight. "Belongs to the State" but my point is "who is going to enjoy it, if no one else ever sees it ???????????????" Again...NEVER discovered = FOREVER lost!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread