Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
As Lake Lanier Recedes, History Gets Uncovered

Last Edited: Monday, 19 Nov 2007, 12:20 AM EST
Created: Sunday, 18 Nov 2007, 11:24 PM EST

Reported By: George Franco

GAINESVILLE, Ga. (FOX 5) – Within days, Lake Lanier could reach its all-time record low and the lowest water level in years brought out the treasure hunters Sunday.

With the water levels at a near historic low, Lake Lanier has become a treasure hunt of sorts.

In Gainesville, the bounty recovered from the parched reservoir included bottles, an old metal sink, and part of an old gas station that was buried by water long ago.

"I think this like an old gas station and back there, I'm pretty sure that's the old Cleveland Highway," said Lake Lanier resident Jameson Hembree.

Old Georgia Highway 129, between Gainesville and Cleveland, has also been revealed by the receding waters.

"It’s the mystery of the unknown, finding out about our past and looking it up," said Theresa Dyer.

Dyer and her family spent Sunday exploring the areas of Lake Lanier that have been revealed by the severe drought.

"We used to come out here and tube and ride our jet skis out there. We didn't even know this road was here when we did it," said Dyer.

Families can now walk safely where there was once water and the lake levels have continued to drop.

According to the United States Geological Service, Lake Lanier was 1052.78 feet above sea level, just short of the record low of 1052.66 set in 1981.

The USGS said because Lake Lanier has been dropping about two-tenths of a foot per day, the lake may reach a new record low in the upcoming week, possibly exposing even more history that once hidden by the lake's waters.

"I've heard stories of houses under water they didn't tear down. Bridges, still there are all kinds of stuff. I know I'd like to see them," said Lake Lanier explorer Paul Massie.

FOX 5's George Franco can be reached at [email protected].

kenb

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I wish I lived near GAINESVILLE
I wonder if the Pumps are still Standing :o

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Live nearby, have detected beaches around Lanier, Is owned by US Corp of Engineers Do not get caught detecting anywhere but the beaches!!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gametalman52 said:
Live nearby, have detected beaches around Lanier, Is owned by US Corp of Engineers Do not get caught detecting anywhere but the beaches!!!
Captain Buzzkill to the rescue

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
They have specific, designated areas where they have hauled in sand and have buoys in what used to be water to mark the swimming areas. It is basically federal land. Most of the bottom that has been exposed is rock and clay and is a good area to bust your butt. Most of the boat ramps are exposed and areas where they have piers to walk out on are exposed. Have tried a couple of those areas but full of nails from constuction of those piers. Still was looking behind me as I was doing this. The rules for metal detecting are prettty cleeeaar for the US Corp of Engineers !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread