Thoughts on swift and geology of ky

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! New here but I've found a lot of interesting things. I have some questions though. Has anyone searched the kimberlite region of elliott county? That's igneous, in karst country and produces numerous gemstones. Wouldn't this be an obvious choice? Also, ive found a large meteorite impact crater near the lewis carter line. Could this be a potential mineral source as well. Thoughts and experience with these would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting, all!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the site...:hello:

If you've found what you believe is a meter crater, it might
be a good area to look for meteorite fragments.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Florida meters are worth alot of money be fun to find some

OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site...:hello:

If you've found what you believe is a meter crater, it might
be a good area to look for meteorite fragments.
It's a significant crater with a string of smaller ones in a line and more than 50 throughout the surrounding area. About a mile south of that are more in a rocky ridge. I do no hold back any info I find I just want to solve this thing! The impact is on walnut grove rd near old trace hill road. You can see it on google earth quite easily.

OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These roads are on the lewis county/ carter county line too

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the number of "craters"(50+) in a Karst region such as KY, it would all but eliminate it being a meteor. It would be sinkholes and your holes would look like this on LIDAR:

Click to enlarge:
sinkhole.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, it doesnt look like that at all. It's a massive hole with many smaller hole strewn about the hilltop. Its possibly sink holes. Its possibly a meteorite impact crater. You could go look yourself if you like. I mean, I dont see anybody finding anything made of silver aside from a coin or two. I read about this mine and that mine but again no silver. And since there are no more "craters" as i called them anywhere else near this area I decided that sinkhole was probably not the case. I even gave directions to find it. Look at it yourself before you jump to conclusions. You know what? Just forget it. Rule it out and search elsewhere. Oh and please send pictures if you find anything. I know I will

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The occurrence of millerite near Halls Gap, KY is believed to have come from meteorites.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, it doesnt look like that at all. It's a massive hole with many smaller hole strewn about the hilltop. Its possibly sink holes. Its possibly a meteorite impact crater. You could go look yourself if you like. I mean, I dont see anybody finding anything made of silver aside from a coin or two. I read about this mine and that mine but again no silver. And since there are no more "craters" as i called them anywhere else near this area I decided that sinkhole was probably not the case. I even gave directions to find it. Look at it yourself before you jump to conclusions. You know what? Just forget it. Rule it out and search elsewhere. Oh and please send pictures if you find anything. I know I will

Could you look at this lidar map of old trace hill road and point out where it is and then i can zoom in for more detail. I see a lot of holding ponds and water filled depressions and sink holes.

Click to enlarge:

lidar.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it's very possible, even probable, that these are in fact sink holes. It also happens to be a geographical disturbance on the dividing ridge between triplett creek and kinnikinick. Didnt a mr Beatty speak of minerals in this area? We have searched for centuries using old vague and downright phony maps with no avail. I am trying a different angle. I'm using known geological evidence like the igneous kimberlite region to search for answers. We KNOW silver and gold form in igneous protrusions. We KNOW elliott county has that. This ridge has puts us close to Josiah sprinkle, john swift, indian histories and igneous rock. Why on earth would anybody try to shut the down without so much as one foot being placed on the said ground? That's idiocy. When discussing theory, as we are, one simply must entertain ALL ideas. Because the thing that is certain is this: ain't nobody opened up a silver mine that pays in ky for at least 200 years. Let's try to be a lil less scruffy shall we?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you point on the LIDAR map above where you said the crater was so we can zoom in on it for more detail?

OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry godeep I cant make sense of what you're showing me. I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. It's only an hour from me. If it is a sinkhole, hopefully it was created by a mine collapse. Maybe it's important. The only real way to know is to beat feet.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry godeep I cant make sense of what you're showing me.

No problem, i can help. You said it's near the Lewis Carter line on Walnut Grove Road and Trace Line Road and can be seen on Google Earth even, here is the same area pictured above on Lidar, only on Google Earth, sometimes Lidar can be hard to orientate to:

Click to Enlarge:
meteor2.jpg
Click to Enlarge:
lidar.jpg

In case its South of Walnut Grove Rd and Trace Line Road heres both the Lidar and Google Earth to orientate yourself:

Click to Enlarge:
lidargoogle.jpg
Click to Enlarge
lidarsouth.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. That is not the correct quadrant. Should be south west or due west. It's actually halfway between 1068 and old trace hill rd.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This needs moved to a more appropriate category...I won’t venture any guesses as which one would fit the best.

OP
OP
N

Notsoswift

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that last picture holds the area in the top left corner. Theres two more holes almost a mile south of that in the woods. Looks like a rock cliff comes up under the right one in the woods.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that last picture holds the area in the top left corner. Theres two more holes almost a mile south of that in the woods. Looks like a rock cliff comes up under the right one in the woods.

Not “Treasure in the News”.

Catlettsburg

May 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ell.JPG
Im not a Geologist but does the article in this photo add to, or take away from the chances of there being Silver in this area? From the Elliott County 100 year anniversary booklet.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet...!