Woman finds money in a chair she bought at a yardsale

K

Kentucky Kache

Imagine finding money stuffed into the chair you bought at a garage sale. That is exactly what happened to Linda Strafford of Omaha, who has been shopping garage sales for 30 years.
Strafford was rearranging the garage when her daughter, Mandy Rath, heard something rattling in one of the chairs that she was moving.

The chair was purchased by Strafford a few years ago at a garage sale then it was stored in her garage (sounds familiar).

When the pair heard the rattle they decided to investigate and they removed the bottom of the chair. Inside they discovered a compartment with a package containing ten dollars in coins and a second package with $3,060 in bills.

Strafford told AP reporters, “When we found the money, they could probably hear us screaming all over the neighborhood."

Strafford’s family has teased her throughout the years that she has been going to garage sales. Finding the money will allow Strafford to do a little teasing back.

When asked where she planned on spending the money, she answered like any dedicated garage-sale shopper would answer, ""Who knows?" she said. "I might spend it all at garage sales."

http://couponing.about.com/b/2005/05/31/a-real-trash-to-treasure-tale.htm

L

LandStar

Man I want one of those chairs...is the Money standard equipment???

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
My parents were in the upholstrey bussiness for many years. My siblings and I had a taste of the bussiness as we were all expected to help. It is not uncommon to find change in old chairs and sofa's, but we never found that much. Mostly just a few cents to a couple of dollars. There was always some old stuff found as well.

Another interesting cache or hoarde story. About 20 years ago, I went to a small steam up (antique tractors, farm stuff) in a nieghboring state at a friends farm. I wont mention names, as some involved are dead, and I dont want to be the one to inform the public about all the events here. Back to story; A collector from another state delivered a very early large tractor to the person who was haveing the steam up. The person delivering the tractor sold it after haveing owned it since the late 50's. After unloading the tractor, an inspection was in order. One thing that soon came to be looked at, was a large metal box, bolted to the fender of the tractor. It had a lid, with a padlock. The new owner asked the seller, what was in the box, and why the padlock. The seller replied that he had no idea what was in box, as it was there when he got tractor, and so was the lock. After some conversation, and decideing it was time to investigate such an overlooked item, it was decided to cut the lock off. After cutting the lock, and opening the lid...............the contents was a shock to all. Full of money. All I will tell you, is that it was in the thousands, and more than the price the buyer paid for the tractor. The hard part was decideing who the money belonged to. The seller said to buyer, its yours, it was in toolbox. Buyer..........No its yours I only bought tractor. ( you need to know that both men were wealthy and neither really needed the money, hence the offer on both parts to give the other the money) In the end, they decided fair thing to do, was to split it, which they did. Since the seller owned the tractor for many years, and had no clue as to whereabouts as to any relation of family he bought tractor from, it was the only real solution.

Have I had this kind of luck?.........I wish! Most of us dont, but the stories make for good read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread