CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why on earth would anyone finding money like that publicize it?

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am reminded of my wife's aunt and uncle, Honey and Arthur. They were odd birds. They slept in separate rooms. They had money but lived very frugally.

Back in the early '80s Arthur and Honey were in a car accident. Arthur drove off the road into a ditch and the car ended up on its side. Honey broke her hip and never really did the therapy so she did not get around well. When she did have to move around, she did so with the aid of a walker, very painfully and very loudly. After the accident Arthur had his license revoked and we started doing their weekly grocery shopping.

When Arthur eventually passed, I think it was 1985, Honey asked us to go through his room and his things in order to donate his clothing and some of his furniture to Goodwill.

We found over $58,000 dollars squirreled away in jacket pockets, pants pockets, under the mattress, in drawers. Almost everywhere. When we gave her the stash, I have to say that old Aunt Honey was shocked and more than a little pissed that Arthur had been hiding money from her. I assume she deposited it but I really don't know what happened after we turned it over to her.

When Honey died I told my wife that we should have bought the house. (we didn't) Lord knows what else may have been hidden there.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very interesting. A friend of ours Dad died about 3 years ago. They found close to $80,000 in cash in his house. They found packets of up to $3,000 wrapped in aluminum foil "hid" all over the house. Apparently he thought the aluminum foil was fire proof. Same as Doubter in MD, they found these packets of bills in drawers, under cushions, in pockets, behind the carpet on the stair risers, in the broken stove, even in the refrigerator and the freezer. My buddy is convinced he threw some money away that was in the freezer before he realized what was in the aluminum foil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread