garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A metal detectorist who found a rare early-medieval silver brooch has said it was his most "incredible" find ever.

The Trewhiddle-style brooch found on farmland at Cheddar in Somerset features detailed interlace decorations with animals thought to be peacocks.

Detectorist Iain Sansome said it was "incredible" to think the treasure used as a symbol of wealth and high status was last held 1,000 years ago.

attachment.php

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-58552915

Attachments

• _120546191_mypost-33.jpg
    _120546191_mypost-33.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 137

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly a unique brooch...! Wow!
Thanks for the post...!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. They don't get to keep that stuff, right?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. They don't get to keep that stuff, right?

I think, depending on value, it may be bought by a museum and the proceeds split between the land owner and the detectorist, in England. I have the info in my cobwebbed noggin for some reason.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, depending on value, it may be bought by a museum and the proceeds split between the land owner and the detectorist, in England. I have the info in my cobwebbed noggin for some reason.

Hola Amigos

It tattooed on your noggin because its such a brilliant arrangement.

1. The museums get their artifacts for their national collection by paying the finder and landholder a price deemed by an independent panel of valuers.

2. The detectorists get access to landholders land for 50% anything discovered of value

3. The land holder gets 50% anything discovered of value for letting the detectorist search their land.

So there is an incentive for all to get some thing out of it.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Amigos

It tattooed on your noggin because its such a brilliant arrangement.

1. The museums get their artifacts for their national collection by paying the finder and landholder a price deemed by an independent panel of valuers.

2. The detectorists get access to landholders land for 50% anything discovered of value

3. The land holder gets 50% anything discovered of value for letting the detectorist search their land.

So there is an incentive for all to get some thing out of it.

Kanacki

Gidday Kanacki

You can imagine a farmer or landholders benefits of allowing a detectorist to search his property for treasure. One the property or owner may not have the time or physical ability or inclination to search themselves.

And in most many cases there is nothing to be found. Yet time spent searching is time wasted making money elsewhere. As any farmer knows there is always jobs to do on a farm. So to have a detectorist spending their time searching for free is not a bad idea.

Because in the off chance that the detectorist actually finds a treasure trove they will get half for doing absolutely nothing. It is a win win for the landholder and a powerful incentive to allow metal detectorists to detect private property.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread