Contractor, Owner Feud Over Hidden Cash

Timbers

Greenie
Aug 23, 2006
Texas
Contractor, Owner Feud Over Hidden Cash

Dec 12 10:42 PM US/Eastern
Write a Comment

CLEVELAND (AP) - A contractor who helped discover bundles of Depression-era U.S. currency totaling $182,000 hidden behind bathroom walls said the homeowner should turn the money over to him or at least share it.
Bob Kitts said his feud with the owner of the 83-year house, a former high school classmate, has deteriorated to the point where they speak to each other only through lawyers.

Kitts said his lawyer has drafted a lawsuit that he hopes will force Amanda Reece to turn over the money she has kept.

Most of the currency, issued in 1927 and 1929, is in good condition, and some of the bills are so rare that one currency appraiser valued the treasure at up to $500,000, Kitts said.

Reece accuses Kitts of extortion.

The fight began in May 2006 when Kitts was gutting Reece's bathroom and found a box below the medicine cabinet that contained $25,200.

"I almost passed out," Kitts recalled. "It was the ultimate contractor fantasy."

He called Reece, who rushed home. Together they found another steel box tied to the end of a wire nailed to a stud. Inside was more than $100,000, Kitts said. Two more boxes were filled with a mix of money and religious memorabilia.

"It was insane," Kitts said. "She was in shock—she was a wreck."

The bundles had "P. Dunne" written on them, a likely reference to Peter Dunne, a businessman who owned the home during the Depression.

Kitts said he took some of the currency for an appraisal and learned that many of the $10 bills were rare 1929-series Cleveland Federal Reserve bank notes, worth about $85 each. There also were $500 bills and one $1,000 bill.

John Chambers, an attorney for Reece, said Kitts rejected his client's offer of a 10 percent finder's fee and demanded 40 percent of the small fortune.

Reece has no intention of backing down in the face of what she considers a shakedown, Chambers said.

Kitts asserts he found lost money, and court rulings in Ohio establish that a "finders keepers" law applies if there's no reason to believe any owner will reappear to claim it.

It may be up to a judge to decide, said Heidi Robertson, a professor who teaches property law at Cleveland State University.

Kitts said it would be unfair for him to take everything.

"For such a happy, exciting adventure, I can't believe it just went to heck like this," he said.

___

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL We both posted this one at the Same Time :P
I just deleted mine.

Intresting Story.

I would be happy with the 10% now instead of getting Lawyers involved.

Now till everyone takes their Cut, He'll be lucky if 40% of what's left
is as much as 10% at the beginning :P

I would have said Sure 10% & Shhhhhh ! ;)

Greed Will Get ya

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Don't be suprised if someone claiming to be Dunne's nephew's 2nd cousin 2x removed sashayes in and says it's his (hers). ;)

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Then contracter here is gonna lose. There's a part in the Law called a production clause it simply says whatever you produce while under contract to another person becomes the sole property of that person. It's like when you work for Microsoft and produce a program, you don't get royalties and you can't take that program with you when you leave. The program becomes the property of Microsoft Inc. Unlike the terms of use agreement here where no compensation has been agreed upon for work produced herein, which can thus be challenged within a court.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah now they both get to pay the "blood suckers" plus , the courts, the state of ohio's taxes
and uncle sam's cut now (these folks spoecialize in getting the "bulk" of the stuff ---they will wind up with scraps if anything --wait till "long lost" kinfolk to the dunne fellow step forward to "claim" it and they both lose our for their greed )--- see what a big mouth and greed will do for you --- you find stuff like that ---follow the THers code --- keep your trap shut , tell no one about yer find and enjoy yer bit o booty in peace "tax free" --- the contractor could have easily just kept it -- BUT HE CALLED THE HOMEOWNER -- the HOME OWNER COULD GONE HALVES -- THAT BIG MOUTH / GREED COMBO will cost them both in the end --- Ivan

K

Kentucky Kache

If someone finds something in YOUR house, how does that make them 40% owner? When you buy a property you become owner of everything in/on that property.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I tend to agree with that statement. It seems to me if you buy the land, you own what is on it. I WISH!

Unfortunately, treasure trove laws have become quite convoluted. >:(

We should open up some discussion about Texas laws for example - there are huge differences between lost, abandoned, and discarded!

But of course, attorneys get to fight over THAT! >:(

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ah this fool has no "Salvage agreement" and therefore no right to anything he finds in someone's house. This is going down in flames but not until the lawyers shake a pretty penny out of the money found. he should have taken the 10% - now he'll probably get nothing!

as they say in investing...
"pigs get slaughtered"

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you find it and don't run off at the mouth to others about it --you get it tax free and hassle free --- by shooting of their mouths about the find (the contractor felt "stiffed" so he blabbed about it guess what the home owner now will have to pay ohio state tax income tax, fed income tax, lawyers and court fees --- guess what by the time all is said and done at least 50% will most likely be "gone" better of to have given a 60 - 40 split with the contractor (hell the contractor had to call the home owner ---he could have just pocketed it (many would have) so a home owner 60 - contractor 40 would have been a good deal and they would have still been freinds afterwards --- now it all the press its getting --- the mans "long lost kin" might just crawl out of the wood work ---show up and put in a claim in and walk off with all of it ---leaving them with atty bills and court cost to pay with nothing for their efforts (greed will get ya)--- for the home owner at best now that the state and federal govts know about it *** income tax will be collected on it *** so thats a big chunk gone plus lawyer fees , court fees ect ect ect --- they will nickle and dime you to death and wind up with more of it than you will in the end --mark my words --- Ivan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Marc said:
I tend to agree with that statement. It seems to me if you buy the land, you own what is on it. I WISH!

Unfortunately, treasure trove laws have become quite convoluted. >:(

We should open up some discussion about Texas laws for example - there are huge differences between lost, abandoned, and discarded!

But of course, attorneys get to fight over THAT! >:(

and the more they can fight about it, the more they will get.
They will end up with far more than the original two parties I'd bet.
What a shame.

;)
BDoo

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Yammy Elf said:
ivan salis said:
ah now they both get to pay the "blood suckers" plus , the courts, the state of ohio's taxes
and uncle sam's cut now (these folks spoecialize in getting the "bulk" of the stuff ---they will wind up with scraps if anything --wait till "long lost" kinfolk to the dunne fellow step forward to "claim" it and they both lose our for their greed )--- see what a big mouth and greed will do for you --- you find stuff like that ---follow the THers code --- keep your trap shut , tell no one about yer find and enjoy yer bit o booty in peace "tax free" --- the contractor could have easily just kept it -- BUT HE CALLED THE HOMEOWNER -- the HOME OWNER COULD GONE HALVES -- THAT BIG MOUTH / GREED COMBO will cost them both in the end --- Ivan

No, this is not true. The Government will only benefit from the taxes generated from the income or personal gains when the items are sold. Just like any business or personal transaction that generates a profit. How or why do you people makeup this crap that the Government is going to take something. We all give "Uncle Sam" a cut of our income or profit, that's what this country was built on. The THers code is not keep your trap shut, tell no one....that is just plain BS. Just pay the dang taxes like everyone else and move on >:(

Question---Would not the Fed Gov tax the money at face value ($182,000) since it is legal tender thus considered capital gains income and then if sold for real value ($500, 000) less the face vale difference $318,000? However, also allowing for capital expenditure deductions of atty fees and court costs. Normally it would be taxable for the year found, but since ownership is in limbo until the case is settled they would have to wait.
Just some scattered thoughts at 2AM.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think because it is Cash that can be spent it would get Taxed.
(Windfall Tax or something ?)

and if you turn around and make a Mint off it
the Gains would be Taxed also.

But I'm not IRS so that is just a guess.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
money from work should be taxed --the govts got to run on something -- but found money and lotto winnings --gambling winnings --- iecwindfall of this type should not be taxed --- it is unfair that they are ---in the bussiness world you spend money you can deduct it -- if you make profit its taxed fair enough ---but in gambling / treasure hunting (personal small time that is) ---you lose tough you can not deduct anything -- but if you win cough up the "taxes" --- oh if you win you can deduct your loses but only up to the win amount --thus the sucker can only can break even -- but gain a cent --its taxible income --- now if you had a buddy that came to the horse or dog track in your car --put nothing toward the gas ---when there he did not assist you in anyway to pick the winner or aid you fiscally in anyway --- but once you won demanded that you give him 1/5th of your winnings --would you ? ---(if so we need to start hanging out together more often--- your my kinda guy --- ) -- but that just what the govt does ---- Ivan

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
ivan salis said:
---you lose tough you can not deduct anything -- but if you win cough up the "taxes" --- oh if you win you can deduct your loses but only up to the win amount

but if you are a professional gambler you can deduct your expenses, but the record keeping has to very very detailed. a professional poker player for example can deduct entry fees for tournaments, hotel, travel expenses, etc. etc., but any good pro poker player will make more than they lose and , ahem, not necessarily claim all their winnings

but this guys lawyer is gonna make money and her lawyer will too

I wonder if anyone has taken a look and figured out how the houses previous owner could have so much money to hide, that was an incredible amount of cash to have in the 30's, as the video said over 2 million in todays money how many people can stash that much cash and never touch it??? wow!!!!

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
They will not get anything but negative PRESS,they screwed up big time. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread