Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Brothers stake claim to 'Lost Dutchman'

By J. CRAIG ANDERSON TRIBUNE
East Valley Tribune
updated 3:51 a.m. ET, Fri., Dec. 7, 2007
William and Michael Johnson have found their own personal Lost Dutchman's Mine. Whether or not the legendary mine exists in objective reality is almost secondary to the indisputable power it has exerted on the course of their lives. Their version of "Lost Dutchman" Jacob Waltz's fabled legacy - explained in a self-published book the Apache Junction brothers released in November - differs from other accounts in its geographic details.

But as by-products of an enduring cultural phenomenon, all those stories point to the same location for the gold mine - a place inside each of us where dreams, passion and inspiration dwell.

The Johnsons, like so many before them, truly believe their Lost Dutchman's Mine - on the east side of Tortoise Mountain near Apache Junction - is the Lost Dutchman's Mine.

Too many pieces of the puzzle fell into place too perfectly along the way, they insist. The location that found them, as the Johnson brothers like to put it, corresponds perfectly with clues contained in a set of etched stone tablets said to hold the keys to Waltz' treasure.

"We solved them all," William Johnson said.

In their 112-page book, "Spirits in the Mountain," the brothers explain how a childhood fascination with stories of long-lost riches eventually carried them from their home town of Gloucester, Mass., to Apache Junction, where a fateful meeting with one of the area's infamous treasure hunters spurred them to action. The two brothers will host a book-signing 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Bookman's used bookstore, Southern Avenue and Country Club Drive in Mesa.

The Johnsons made local headlines in March 2006 when they claimed to have found a wafer-shaped bone fragment matching the hole in Depression-era treasure hunter Adolph Ruth's skull. Ruth disappeared in 1931 while searching for the mine, and his skull was found months later in the same area where the Johnsons say they found the fragment, now sitting in a Pinal County Sheriff's Office evidence room awaiting authentication.

The Johnsons believe Ruth was killed by a jealous rival who feared Ruth would beat him to the prize.

The stone tablets themselves, named the Peralta Stones after a prominent Colonial-era Spanish family, are of questionable origin. The date "1847" is carved into one of the stones, but they were not discovered until a century later.

Most noteworthy among them is a stone with a heart shape carved in relief, accompanied by a stone heart the same size and shape that fits into it perfectly. When placed together, the stones form a map in which "X" marks a spot at the heart's center.

One of Arizona's most famous Spanish history scholars, the late Rev. Charles Polzer of the Arizona State Museum's Southwestern Mission Research Center, had rejected all notions of their authenticity, in part because 19th-century Spaniards did not represent hearts with the valentine shape used today.

Still, the Johnsons say they have found every landmark depicted in the Peralta map and its surrounding lore, exactly where they should be.

Their book includes a photo of a rock shadow perfectly resembling a lion poised for attack, overlooking a massive heart shape naturally carved by erosion into a cliff face. At its center, they say, is a square stone covering a cave that the Johnsons have no legal right to disturb.

That cave is their mine.

George Johnston, president emeritus of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society, said the problem with the Johnson brothers' evidence is that the mountain's cliffs are akin to a geologic Rorschach test in which believers who look hard enough can find anything they seek.

"It's the same as seeing the Madonna on a rock," Johnston said.

kenb

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
No- don't. It sounds familiar to a few posts in the LDM thread. Who was it that was saying they were gonna write a book about it? And their brother was in it with him? Was that BB?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw this in the paper the other day. They wrote a book. It's pretty funny actually. They claim they found the missing piece of Ruth's skull, even though it's not bone.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Someone who claims to have found the missing part of Ruth's Skull, but it wasn't made of bone? That sounds just whacky enough to be BB!

Mike

wajohnson

Dec 25, 2007
hello this is William Johnson the Author of Spirits in the Mountain. It was said that what we turned in was not bone but yet they will not give the fragment back. Why is that?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"now sitting in a Pinal County Sheriff's Office evidence room awaiting authentication" ::)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT ELF NAME said:
"now sitting in a Pinal County Sheriff's Office evidence room awaiting authentication" ::)

How long have they had it? I would think that if it weren't bone (and also not something like a potsherd), it would be VERY easy to tell, and returned to the Johnsons.

If they have had it for quite a while, then a Certified Letter of intent from an attorney would either get it returned or at least a good reason why not. All I can say is that if the Police have had it any length of time, and the Johnsons have not sued to get it returned, then "something smelly this way comes." ;D ;D ;D

Merry Christmas-Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Dave
hows that gun and weapons charge going for you ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT ELF NAME said:
thanks Dave
hows that gun and weapons charge going for you ?

I SMELL GOSSIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, who's Dave, and tell us more about this weapons charge??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Merry Christmas-Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I just noticed. Were you talking about my old avatar of David Crosby? ;D ;D ;D

Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chikatilo i mean AKA Citizen X

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to take the thread off-topic, but every once-in-awhile, the Russians get something right:

After he was found guilty of 52 counts of murder, he got six months of appeals, then was taken to the jail basement, and a bullet was put in the base of his skull.

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread