Hunting Hitlers Gold

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hunting Hitler's Gold

That is pretty cool...
I definitely want to know if they find something down there, even if it's not what they're expecting!!

Bran <><

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

More.
Treasure Hunters Go Deeper for Nazi Loot
By JOCHEN WIESIGEL – 2 hours ago

DEUTSCHKATHARINENBERG, Germany (AP) — German treasure hunters dug deeper Wednesday into a hillside near the Czech border in search of what they claim to be a man-made cavern laden with Nazi loot.

While a second day of drilling for the suspected cavern brought no immediate results, Mayor Hans-Peter Haustein said he continued to be "100 percent (certain) that treasures from the Nazi time are buried here."

"We just don't know exactly where they are," he said.

Haustein has been working with Christian Hanisch, who found a notebook among the belongings of his father, a former Luftwaffe radio operator who died last year. Hanisch came to Haustein after discovering that the book indicated treasure might be buried near the area.

Haustein suggested Wednesday that a cavern the treasure hunters are looking for might hold objects brought from the hunting lodge of Hermann Goering, the head of the Luftwaffe, the Nazi regime's air force.

Hanisch said he believed his father helped move "small but heavy boxes" from Schorfheide, north of Berlin, where Goering's lodge was located, to an airstrip near Deutschneudorf, the area where the search is being conducted.

Haustein says that the coordinates from the notebook are corroborated by eyewitnesses who reported seeing forced laborers building a bunker-like depot near the hillside.

He claims that a sophisticated scan for precious metals indicated that the hillside contained a large quantity of gold or silver.

Haustein said last week that he was convinced the hunters had found the storied Amber Room treasure but later acknowledged that, while there could be "cultural treasures" in the cavern, such as paintings or amber paneling, they are not things that show up with a metal detector. Experts have been skeptical of Haustein's claim.

The Amber Room — named for magnificent wall panels of golden-brown amber — was stolen by the Nazis from a palace outside St. Petersburg during World War II and has never been recovered in its entirety

And a little more.

As puffs of white dust are thrown into the air the frontline spectators cough and retreat a little, brushing the powder from their coats, before returning to catch more of the action as the huge drill penetrates the ground.

"This is a historical moment," said Hans-Peter Haustein, his eyes glued to the birch-covered incline beneath which he believes two tons of wartime booty is hidden.

Mr Haustein, the local mayor, has set his reputation on his claim that 20m below ground are crates containing fragments of the long-lost Amber Room, the intricate chamber of honey, linseed and cognac-infused amber panels, once called the eighth wonder of the world, which were looted from the Soviet Union during the second world war.

"People may laugh at me, but I tell you it took Columbus a long time to be taken seriously enough to be given a new ship to head to the new world," Mr Haustein told the Guardian.

But the 53-year old, who is also an MP for the liberal democrats in the German parliament, usually concentrating on reform of the country's accident insurance laws rather than treasure hunts, says there is reason to believe he may have the key to unlock one of the most tantalising mysteries of the war - what happened to the Amber Room?

Two months ago the mayor was approached by a part-time treasure hunter, Christian Hanisch, who had heard of his 12-year quest to find the "Bernstein Zimmer" and handed him some documents which gave new impetus to the search.

Notebooks and maps Mr Hanisch found amid the possessions of his late father, Paul, a signaller with the Luftwaffe, contained a set of coordinates which both men believe pinpoint the precise location of the treasure.

Caskets
The notebooks support local historical reports of how, as part of "Operation Sundown", German military convoys delivered heavy sealed caskets and hid them in a network of copper and silver mines in the Ore mountains on the Czech-German border on April 9 1945, in the final weeks of the war.

"My father talked reluctantly about his involvement in the operation and what he did in the war," said Mr Hanisch, dangling a sophisticated metal detector over the entrance to the cavern, which shows up red and orange, seeming to indicate the presence of precious metals. "So when he died I went straight to his papers with great curiosity."

Monika Pach concentrates intently on the scene. "My Siegfried always said there was treasure to be found here," said the pensioner. Siegfried, a history professor and the local historian until his recent death, also possessed documents supporting the claim that diamonds and gold lay in the manmade cave.

"We used to receive death threats from people wanting to know where the treasure was," she said, "so the documents are now kept in the safe in the town hall so that I can sleep at night."

It would indeed be nothing short of a sensation if fragments of, or evidence leading to, the remains of the Amber Room were to be found in this tiny and economically-downtrodden eastern German village. Not least because the search for the 18th century chamber of Baltic amber resin, a gift from Prussia's Friedrich Wilhelm I to Tsar Peter the Great in 1716 at a time when amber was 12 times as valuable as gold, has continued unabated for more than 60 years, fuelling endless conspiracy theories, diplomatic rows and expensive searches in everything from lakes to sea beds.

The chamber was stolen by the Nazis from Catherine Palace in St Petersburg in 1941, and taken to Königsberg, now the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad, where it disappeared in 1945.

Theories abound as to what happened to it - everything from its destruction in an RAF bombing raid, or a fire, to a claim that it was sunk in the Baltic Sea. A Russian-German reconstruction of the chamber in 2003 has done nothing to quell the interest in its fate.

Mr Haustein is one of thousands of treasure hunters who refuse to believe the Amber Room - which experts say would be worth around €350m (£263m) today - is no more. He has pumped tens of thousands of euros into the search for it. What if he does indeed find it?

"It's not a case of finders keepers," he said. "It would belong to the state but the resulting tourism would be a gift.

"I would love to see it handed back to the Russian people and maybe in return they would give the village just enough reward money to build a new school."

As puffs of white dust are thrown into the air the frontline spectators cough and retreat a little, brushing the powder from their coats, before returning to catch more of the action as the huge drill penetrates the ground.

"This is a historical moment," said Hans-Peter Haustein, his eyes glued to the birch-covered incline beneath which he believes two tons of wartime booty is hidden.

Mr Haustein, the local mayor, has set his reputation on his claim that 20m below ground are crates containing fragments of the long-lost Amber Room, the intricate chamber of honey, linseed and cognac-infused amber panels, once called the eighth wonder of the world, which were looted from the Soviet Union during the second world war.

"People may laugh at me, but I tell you it took Columbus a long time to be taken seriously enough to be given a new ship to head to the new world," Mr Haustein told the Guardian.

But the 53-year old, who is also an MP for the liberal democrats in the German parliament, usually concentrating on reform of the country's accident insurance laws rather than treasure hunts, says there is reason to believe he may have the key to unlock one of the most tantalising mysteries of the war - what happened to the Amber Room?

Two months ago the mayor was approached by a part-time treasure hunter, Christian Hanisch, who had heard of his 12-year quest to find the "Bernstein Zimmer" and handed him some documents which gave new impetus to the search.

Notebooks and maps Mr Hanisch found amid the possessions of his late father, Paul, a signaller with the Luftwaffe, contained a set of coordinates which both men believe pinpoint the precise location of the treasure.

Caskets
The notebooks support local historical reports of how, as part of "Operation Sundown", German military convoys delivered heavy sealed caskets and hid them in a network of copper and silver mines in the Ore mountains on the Czech-German border on April 9 1945, in the final weeks of the war.

"My father talked reluctantly about his involvement in the operation and what he did in the war," said Mr Hanisch, dangling a sophisticated metal detector over the entrance to the cavern, which shows up red and orange, seeming to indicate the presence of precious metals. "So when he died I went straight to his papers with great curiosity."

Monika Pach concentrates intently on the scene. "My Siegfried always said there was treasure to be found here," said the pensioner. Siegfried, a history professor and the local historian until his recent death, also possessed documents supporting the claim that diamonds and gold lay in the manmade cave.

"We used to receive death threats from people wanting to know where the treasure was," she said, "so the documents are now kept in the safe in the town hall so that I can sleep at night."

It would indeed be nothing short of a sensation if fragments of, or evidence leading to, the remains of the Amber Room were to be found in this tiny and economically-downtrodden eastern German village. Not least because the search for the 18th century chamber of Baltic amber resin, a gift from Prussia's Friedrich Wilhelm I to Tsar Peter the Great in 1716 at a time when amber was 12 times as valuable as gold, has continued unabated for more than 60 years, fuelling endless conspiracy theories, diplomatic rows and expensive searches in everything from lakes to sea beds.

The chamber was stolen by the Nazis from Catherine Palace in St Petersburg in 1941, and taken to Königsberg, now the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad, where it disappeared in 1945.

Theories abound as to what happened to it - everything from its destruction in an RAF bombing raid, or a fire, to a claim that it was sunk in the Baltic Sea. A Russian-German reconstruction of the chamber in 2003 has done nothing to quell the interest in its fate.

Mr Haustein is one of thousands of treasure hunters who refuse to believe the Amber Room - which experts say would be worth around €350m (£263m) today - is no more. He has pumped tens of thousands of euros into the search for it. What if he does indeed find it?

"It's not a case of finders keepers," he said. "It would belong to the state but the resulting tourism would be a gift.

"I would love to see it handed back to the Russian people and maybe in return they would give the village just enough reward money to build a new school."

kenb

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kenb said:
He claims that a sophisticated scan for precious metals indicated that the hillside contained a large quantity of gold or silver.

Was he using a Long Range Locator? :D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

One quote I found interesting was

"My father talked reluctantly about his involvement in the operation and what he did in the war," said Mr Hanisch, dangling a sophisticated metal detector over the entrance to the cavern, which shows up red and orange, seeming to indicate the presence of precious metals."

Well shucks sign me up for a metal detector that flashes red and orange only for precious metals?

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions