Victorian era silver coin hoard found

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sudhar (Jagraon), March 12 A Dispute over a booty led to the confiscation of 172 ancient silver coins, which were found buried at Sudhar village near the Halwara Air Force Station on Monday.
The coins of the Victorian era have, however, been deposited with the Archaeological Department's museum at Sanghol village by the police.

According to some villagers, the number of coins found is much more than what has been confiscated by the police.

On Monday, a pitcher containing silver coins was found from the land that belongs to one Kartar Kaur (70), a Chandigarh-based woman.

While the work on the tilling of the land with the help of a plough fixed on the back of a tractor was going on, a pitcher surfaced. When it was opened, a lot of silver coins were found in it.

The work to plough the land was given on contract to one Balbir Singh, who had further hired a tractor and plough of one Jasjit Singh.

After the pitcher containing the coins was found, Balbir immediately got his hands on all the coins with the help of his brother Kashmir Singh, who was also present there.

Jasjit, who was ploughing the land, was under the impression that Balbir will give him the share out of the booty. "But when I demanded my share, Balbir refused to give even a single coin. In the meantime, the news spread like wildfire and someone informed the police. The police could find only 172 coins. The rest of the coins are with Balbir," Jasjit Singh told Newsline.

Balbir Singh, meanwhile, denies having hidden any of the coins. "Yes, I wanted to keep the coins but the police came to my place even before I could do anything," he said.

Kartar Kaur, who also came to the village today, said all of the coins found from her plot had been handed over to the police. She said after the death of her husband, she has been the owner of the land for the last 60 years.

According to some villagers, the land originally belonged to a family that migrated to Pakistan during Partition. "Earlier too, some old coins have been found from this land," said a villager requesting anonymity. This villager also said that the number of coins found on Monday was more than what the police have confiscated.

However, the Sudhar SHO Balwinder Singh said, "Only 172 coins have been confiscated. We are investigating the matter. We have deposited the coins with the The coins were dated to 1840 and the image of Queen Victoria was embossed on it."

kenb

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man...no wonder Cache Hunters usually work Solo...

:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread