Treasure hunter finds rare Carausius coins

Satori

Aug 1, 2007
Anywhere there's treasure

Last Updated: 1:10am GMT 17/03/2008

A treasure-hunter could be in line for a small fortune after unearthing two rare coins that shed light on a little-known rebel Roman emperor.
Donatello's David shines after laser clean-up

Derrick Fretwell's finds, which date back to AD286 and the reign of Carausius, have been hailed "priceless" by experts at the British Museum.

Mr Fretwell, 57, was digging in a field near Ashbourne, Derbys, when he uncovered the coins, which are at least 90 per cent gold.

The machinery sales manager said yesterday: "I'll be intrigued to find out what they are worth, although to me their worth is their rarity value."

Carausius, a Roman fleet commander, declared himself Emperor of Britain around 286 or 287 after the emperor in Rome ordered his execution.

Sam Moorhead, an expert in Roman antiquities at the British Museum, said: "Gold coins of Carausius are extremely rare, with only 23 in existence until now. Ethically, I am not allowed to put a valuation on them - but I reckon they are priceless."

A coroner has ruled that the coins are "treasure trove". An independent treasure committee will decide a value for the coins before Mr Fretwell, a father-of-three, learns the size of his windfall.

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Treasure hunter finds rare Carausius coins

"independent treasure committee will decide a value" - I somehow don't think the finder will receive "market" value - IE if he sold them in a major auction house like Christies.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tommi said:
if he sold them in a major auction house like Christies.
your ignorance of the British treasure laws shine threw :thumbsup:

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Under the Treasure Act, it was taken away for valuation by the Treasure Valuation Committee.
Once its value is decided, a reward equal to the value of the item is given to the finder.

EDDE go play cricket with your father :thumbsup:

Magic Fingers - I hope he also gets a lot of money :)
and I hope one day you can get back there and find many Carausius coins :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread