Gold Cache PA worth 20 Million

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Gold Cache PA worth 20 Million

I found this on Yahoo News this Morning!!!! I have heard this story be4 also.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- A treasure hunter wants permission to dig in a state forest in northern Pennsylvania for a cache of gold he believes was lost by a Union convoy transporting it to the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia during the Civil War.

The legend has circulated for decades about the half-ton of lost gold - worth $20 million or more at today's prices.

Dennis Parada believes he has found the site of the missing treasure in an Elk County state forest and is fighting to get state permission to dig it up.

The state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources said Parada needs to provide more proof before he starts tearing up state land. The department will not decide whether Parada can dig until he provides more information, spokeswoman Chris Novak said.

"There's a lot of people that will say this story is not true, and you'll have your share of people swearing that it is true," said Parada, of Clearfield, who runs a treasure-hunting business called Finders Keepers. "You'll get that with any treasure."

According to the legend, a Union officer received orders in the summer of 1863 to lead a wagon train from Wheeling, W.Va., to Philadelphia through Harrisburg by way of northern Pennsylvania. The story claims that the route was chosen to avoid Confederate soldiers advancing into southern Pennsylvania for what would become the battle of Gettysburg.

As the story goes, the convoy - with two wagons, eight soldiers and 26 50-pound bars of gold - got lost in the wilderness, and the gold vanished.

Parada, who won't reveal details of the location, said he and his partners made some initial digs in 2005 and found bones, a shattered bottle, a pocket knife, tin cans and two bullets. The state halted that effort, saying it's a crime to remove historical artifacts from state lands.

Officials later examined the items and said they were newer than the Civil War era and of little value.

"The circumstances arouse my suspicions that this is some very old wives' tale," said Allen Guelzo, a Gettysburg College history professor who specializes in the Civil War.

He doubts that Union troops hauled gold through northern Pennsylvania, and believes it more likely would have been transported by rail through Altoona to Harrisburg. Even in summer 1863 the train would have been safe, he said.

Parada, 55, first heard the legend more than 30 years ago. In 1975, he and some friends obtained a map he thought would lead to the gold but the search was unsuccessful.

He resumed the quest in 2004, taking his case to state officials.

"They shot everything down. Everything," Parada said.

Parada said he and his three partners hope for at least a 10 percent finders' fee if they find the gold - which would be more than they'd get on the black market if they took it without permission.

"We stand to make as much or better and sleep at night instead of going to jail," he said

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Re: Gold Cache PA worth 20 Million

I buy a two-box to get in on that hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are listening, Dennis Parada, I am will and able to
"assist" you in the hunt! :wink:
Thanks for sharing.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X

This fellow doesn't sound like the kind of treasure hunter a person would be wanting to work with even if one could. He sounds like his own worst enemy. He says he has already dug various places in the forest, so what's the problem? The bars likely are not buried deep. So why didn't he just dig them up and put them in his pocket so to speak. The normal person would and not tell anyone. However I must remember that I can't judge another person on my standards. There are some people out there that do some silly things some times. Just read in the papers what happens to treasures that make the news. He hopes to get 10% from the state when he could have it all. Or if he can't, it would be better to walk away from it altogether. Just my opinion. Yah all have a nice day. Monk

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can bet that the state will have a looksie with some high tech equipment.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's the newspaper article..........

Attachments

• Civil War gold.jpg
    Civil War gold.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 2,340

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona

In 2 years I may move out to AZ when I retire from the PD. If I do so I think I'll post a map of where the wagons were found, bones were found, 2 gold bars in 1986 and the route traveled. Then sit back and watch the mad rush. Now that would be interesting. Perhaps the Lt's grave site. Though I think I'll hold back on that one. Would not be right everyone digging him up. 8)
Gold bars burried 6 ' down in that ground, (or should I say rock field). I don't think so. First bar found (not by me) was just sticking out of the rocky ground. That ground is so rocky things don't sink more that a couple inches.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II

With the history of this and the story .........I was wondering ,The State is making this a big deal about needing more facts and other BS...............are they (the state) covering up the fact that perhaps they or some of there cronies already found it. Hhhhmmmmmmmmm now that would never have happened.......YA RIGHT!!!!!

Just an old wolf barking at the moon!

kronos416

Jun 23, 2006
N.E. OHIO
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270 * garret gti 2500 * minelab safari

sgtfda said:
In 2 years I may move out to AZ when I retire from the PD. If I do so I think I'll post a map of where the wagons were found, bones were found, 2 gold bars in 1986 and the route traveled. Then sit back and watch the mad rush. Now that would be interesting. Perhaps the Lt's grave site. Though I think I'll hold back on that one. Would not be right everyone digging him up. 8)
Gold bars burried 6 ' down in that ground, (or should I say rock field). I don't think so. First bar found (not by me) was just sticking out of the rocky ground. That ground is so rocky things don't sink more that a couple inches.

Hello Frank how you been? What part of Az you plan on moving to... im with you on that there is no way in hell that those bars are buried 6 feet down way to rocky..
i think finderskeepers is blowing smoke up someones a$$

Sep 2, 2008

:icon_king: Its funny that some say this is just a bunch of gas. I'm not laughing. I have been in hot persuit of this treasure for almost 5 years with alot of documents to back up my mouth. I have a problem thou. Sorry sonny your in the wrong place what you have come across is nothing more than maybe a homestead of short lived. Do your homework before digging up land and walking away empty handed. you would not find just a bone you would find alot of bones. also your way off course. become who they were and walk where they walked. and do your homework. Its a mighty find. Only 1 and a half bars were ever recovered to date. Do you know where they were found? no where near you. But dig if you must.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread