Hypothetical question.....

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
What if a cache of gold and silver is found. Whether it be gold and silver bars, or gold and silver coins? How does a person "move" it to get cash, without causing too much attention?

I was reading other posts here, and the concensus is to keep quiet. But how do you sell it. Hypothetically, what if the amount of gold bars would be about 20, and about 40 silver bars. Let's say they are small bars like the little minty chocolate type. Instead of gold bars, what if they were coins? Like a couple of large coffee cans full of gold and silver coins.

This treasure would have to be shared with all involved.

What if!

thanks.

ejf

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi "e"

? ?I can only till you what I'd do.

? I'd take 1 Bar (if Silver or Gold) to a local Buyer of Precious Metals.
and Ask him to tell me if it is Pure or what % it is & it's Weight & value.
If I like what he tells me I'd sell it.

? ?Then I'd ask him IF he'd have a Market for the rest, on A Strictly CASH ONLY deal.
( I have a Buyer I trust, to ask this to)

? IF he is unwilling, I would Circulate them around all the Buyers in my State.

after that, IF I have more, I'd start over, Or start Listing them on E-Bay, 1 at a Time,
Under Different E-Bay? ?I'D's of Friends, each time saying "Been in the Family for Years" or "bought at a Yard Sale or Auction Years ago, Don't remember where"

? The Share'ees (Spelling ?) would just have to understand, Or take their Share from the Get-Go.

If Coins, Definetly, the E'Bay Route as Described above? ;)

? ? ?Not that I ever thought about it.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? J E F F

OP
OP
K

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
I can understand some........but then if your stake is huge, like Texas, that's a lot of traveling.

I guess the main thing would be to get the value of a single piece of item. And if the "gold bar" is worth $3000 or more, then the time it takes to move one at a time is great. No rush.

If it's coinage, and a single is worth say up to $300, then the time it takes to move one at a time becomes more of a curse. Even though it's "free money".

I think we need to come up with a plan to follow, just in case a real cache is found. Of course if there is 1 greedy person, it becomes ugly. Just my opinion.

I would like to hear more ideas.

thanks again.

edwin j.fowler = ejf

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
As I have said before, I would take my share of the find as-is and stash it, then after a little while start "FINDING" it with my metal detector, a little at the time! I have a buyer already lined up for such an event, who (hypothetically) would give me cash money, no questions, based on pennyweight. Hypothetically of course! HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
K

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
I am now guessing it might be better to find sucha person who would buy, before a find happens.

thanks, I will work on that guy as well. Ihope I find one.

ejf

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
If there is no historical signifigance to the find, remelt the gold/silver into ingots, any jewelry supply house has the molds needed along with torches etc. then take the ingots to a refiner, such as hoover and strong. use your computer to create a letterhead for a jewlery repair shop or something of the sort and send in your gold/silver.Jewlers are always sending in scrap in ingot form to be refineded and you can take payment in $$ or in metal I would recommend taking it in both. if it has a historic value I would sit on it and investigate who would be interested, also it would be worth a trip over seas if it is valubale enough to talk with some of the larger european auction houses, like Chrities etc, I know they have US offices, but the rules over there are abit more lax than over here.

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
I'll buy all you find. Cash.
If it has historical value, (MELT IT). You can buy a small electric melting pot from online from jewelry supply stores. They will usually do about 36oz or more at at time. Make your own bars. Anything will work. I like those little cast iron corn bread molds the sell. They work good. The little ones shape like corn are my favorite. But youcan use anything. If want to go the extra mile you can set up a mining & exploration company as a front. Some guys even go to the extent to wash or purify the gold if there may be a reason for extra caution. This way it removes the finger print of the gold itself.
Coins are easy to sell you can sell them anywhere even in bulk.

Good Luck
Remember I will buy all you find.
ColoradoMike

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Two choices, grind up the bars and take a trip out west to a "public land state". Dig a hole, throw in the dust and then take it out and go to a refinery. Check out the refinerys before going to one. They vary in honesty and pricing. Best I have found for pricing was 3% to refine it and 3% to purchase it from you. Add in the taxes to the state that you have to declare it came from, and then file the taxes with the IRS. Your trip to the diggings and the refinery are now business expences.
Until it turns a profit it is a "hobby".

Second choice, take it into Mexico and convert it into dollars, open a dollar bank account and transfer it to your account in the states and pay the taxes on it. Think of something good to explain the amount of cash. They will be ooking for drug money proceeds so be carefull on your story. I persona;;y like #1 better.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Most coin dealers have a place to sell their scrap gold, silver, dental gold, platinum, etc. And most will pay cash per dwt. It helps immensely if you get to know them a bit so a mutual trust can be worked out. Here in Wisconsin, there is a form that a seller is required to fill out, which the dealer is required to submit to the local gendarmes, but after after getting to know a few coin dealers, I have never been required to fill one out, they can be such nice guys! (wink)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v had One Buyer tell me to Put a Fake SS Number Down

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
Yea, and if your really good at documenting your discoveries you might get movie rights and make more money.
That's the only way you will have profit after the government take theirs.

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
Just to reiterate.... I will buy all you find at a fair price... Coins, relics, bars ect. Just send me a personal email... Discretion is my middle name. Well really it's Karl but you get the idea.

Good Luck.

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
Hey all
The goverment will bother with you if they know of a large find, they want thier share (thats what irs agents paid to do) personally I have a small gold refinery and and all my findings got thru there be it in nugget or ingot form, then out to mainstream market (client's) or to gold houses like MONEX. You should not be afraid just keep it on a download and use a small refinery. One word of caution do not use large refinerys first they will ask for all your info then they will rat you out with the new terrorist act they want to know that the gold was not provided by terrorist. if you have any questions please feel fre to email me.
George
www.goldmelter.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread