Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lawmaker has budget solution: Plunder Florida's treasure

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- With the state desperate for cash to balance its budget, one lawmaker has come up with a solution worthy of Blackbeard or Captain Kidd.

Rep. Juan Zapata wants to plunder Florida's booty.

One of the world's largest publicly owned collections of Spanish treasure - doubloons and other coins, some gold and silver ingots and chains - belongs to the state.

"We have some interesting goodies in the closet," said the Miami Republican. "Why not have an interesting garage sale, put them out there and see what we can get for them?"

How much the state could reap, though, is uncertain, as lawmakers struggle with a budget that is $5 billion smaller than the previous one.

One expert says Florida's 1,600 gold and 22,000 silver coins are worth at least $17 million, but state officials say the collection is priceless.

Much of it is hidden in a vault and occasionally lent to museums across the nation. The state gets up to 25 percent of treasure salvaged from shipwrecks in its waters, but the collection also includes less glamorous artifacts such as cannon balls, plates and cups.

More http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/492063.html

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: lawmaker has budget solution: Plunder Florida's treasure

I have an interesting idea. When my income does not equal my spending I prioritize what my expenses are then cut where I have to. I do this first before I plunder my wealth. Do you think government has that much sense? No, they will threaten cutting Police and Fire protection and scare us half to death. I suggest they get rid of the State archeology department first and some of their other nonessential departments.

When I was growing up the Government section of the telephone book was just one page. That included State, Local and Federal government. Count the pages today and look at some of the departments. Just by doing this a guy off the street would do a better job of cutting gov't expenses than our legislators.

TE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread