ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLD? BURIED TREASURE NOT WORTH TROUBLE

The family of a man who claims to have found millions of dollars worth of gold and antique guns in a desert cave says he's tired of dealing with the federal government, and plans to just leave the cache where he found it.

"He's having a terrible time with it," Glen Taylor said recently of his son, Scott.

Scott Taylor, 34, has been a virtual recluse since news broke this week on two Salt Lake television stations that he allegedly stumbled across a lost fortune while hiking on public land in west Utah about a month and a half ago.

Taylor told the television stations he found 280 gold bricks with "U.S. Cavalry" stamped on each, two Civil War-era rifles, a six-shooter and dynamite.

"He is the only one who has claimed to see it and knows the location. Until he shares that with somebody, nothing can be verified," Bureau of Land Management spokeswoman Laura Williams said in a recent interview.

The problem, the Taylors say, is the federal government's unwillingness to kick over some of the profit as a finder's fee, which they say one Brigham Young University professor estimated should be 40 percent.

"It's not up to us to negotiate," Williams said. "It's not our gold, if it exists.

"If his story is true, and clearly marked, we know who it belongs to, and the Army can take it," she said, adding that Scott Taylor is not returning their phone calls, either.

"We think at this point that the best thing for us to do is not make a comment," said Army spokeswoman Martha Rudd. "It would be too hypothetical. We would have to know a lot more about what's going on."

So, rather than battle this out in court, the Taylors say they will let the gold sit. Taylor couldn't simply claim the gold as a find, Williams said. "If it was ore in the ground, he'd need a mineral permit to remove it. If it's smelted into gold bars, it's protected by ARPA," the Archaeological Resources Protection Act.

Glen Taylor said his son left the cache where he found it because he immediately recognized its historical importance.

From The Associated Press, submitted by many readers via e-mail.

B

bradandmilan

So, would this now be considered a treasure lead? ;)

Or is there most likely too much interest at the present time?

Brad

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Sure There are A few Looking for It.

IF it was True There is Also The Possability Someone Did The smart Thing & Snuck It out Already.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
U.S.Cav. That puts it at over 100 years old. The dynamite has bled old and crystalized, on tap and it blows up. IF the story is true. Even I would have been tempted to use one of the muskets as an "Alpine Stock" hiking out.<G>

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If this is a true story then the guy should have definatley kept quite...but since he didn't he should produce 1 gold bar and use it as a bargaining chip. At this point the government probably thinks its a BS story anyway and is waiting on some sort of evidence to the contrary. What is 40% of 50 million dollars agian?????

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend
I swear I saw this on the news... not locally...

Can't find the link now, but it was a man who hikes?

Anyway, he said the dynamite was very unstable and sweating... I think I smell a sweaty rat! >:(
We'll have to keep our eyes posted for any conclusions to this one.

kat :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread