SPANISH GOLD MINES IN OKLAHOMA ?????

Okielawman23

Dec 28, 2004
I FOUND A MAN MADE LOOKING CAVE,, IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE NATURAL, IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS PICKED OUT OF THE SIDE OF A ROCK FACE ,, APEARS TO BE A MINE,, IT WAS DARK AND I HAS NO LIGHT BUT I AM GOING BACK IN A FEW DAYS,,, I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE WERE SOME VERY OLD SPANISH MINES IN OKLAHOMA,,, AN Y THOUGHTS?? I WANT TO GO HIT IT WITH A DETECTOR AND MAYBE GO DEEP INSIDE IT,,,....

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi,

Let people know where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Better yet, take 2 other people, one for inside and one to wait outside.

Good luck.

Harley digs it

Jun 27, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
If you want to be safe I would take helmets also. Before going in too far check the support beams if there are any and see if they are rotten. Also keep in mind if you go really far in that there may be some harmful gasses might want to take a parakeet lol.

Like the above post said don't go alone, and walk 10 feet apart. Else you might find you become a find for someone else.

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
Lost Treasure mag has had some recent articles on how some mine sites are booby-trapped (by Spanish & other miners, with areas set to collapse - kind of like Ripley's - beleive it or not.. but
had pictures of what to look for.
Early Spanish were finding gold all over (except Florida where they kept losing ships..)

M

monkeyman

Steve Wilson's "Oklahoma Treasure Tales" would be a good read for you. He talks of the spaniards mining gold in the Wichita Mountians. Devils Canyon imperticular. Unfortunately from what I understand, Devils Canyon is off limits. I do know that if you look at a typo map of the area, the government was very careful to include Devils Canyon as part of the Quarts Mountian State Park, even though it is several miles away from the actual park...Odd how they always seem to make the places that would be most promising to treasure hunt, OFF LIMITS!! Anyway...get the book...it should be able to answer most of the questions you might have about the spaniards early activities in Oklahoma!!!! Its really a well written book!! Hope I've been of some help!

Dave (AKA- Monkeyman)

labato

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Speaking of Steve Wilson's book, one of his treasure maps led to some of its treasure for one lucky person. Check out the month of September, 1993 of the daily Oklahoman for the guy's picture and story - what a nut.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to penetrate into the hole make sure you have three independent sources of light. For example, in my cave exploring days I carried a carbide light with spare carbide and water,a flashlight with spare batteries and bulbs and candles with matches. Also the advice about letting someone know where you are going and when you will return is very sound and something I always did. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread