Evan Tanner (UFC) 37 dies while on a treasure expedition.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
115 is way to hot for anyone. bummer...aa

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why on earth would he go there all by himself? what a shame.

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
115 is way to hot for anyone. bummer...aa

I think it has more to do with ego ......... going out in a 115 desert like that.
This is no place to play around in the summer even if you are in tip top shape !

Yep Sad for sure

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I plan on going so deep into the desert that any failure of my equipment could cost me my life," he wrote.

Looks like he did just that..what a shame and waste.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Where did you read he was on a treasure hunt? Everything I've read says that he was going to "cleanse" himself.

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
Where did you read he was on a treasure hunt? Everything I've read says that he was going to "cleanse" himself.

n an Aug. 16 posting on his blog at Spike.com titled "Treasure hunting in the desert," Tanner wrote about his desire to explore the Southern California terrain.

"The idea of going into the desert came to me soon after I moved to Oceanside," he wrote. "It was motivated by my friend Sara's talk of treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration."

Tanner described his fascination with the desert and his preparations for the trip.

"I plan on going so deep into the desert that any failure of my equipment could cost me my life," he wrote.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
T.Parker said:
af1733 said:

n an Aug. 16 posting on his blog at Spike.com titled "Treasure hunting in the desert," Tanner wrote about his desire to explore the Southern California terrain.

"The idea of going into the desert came to me soon after I moved to Oceanside," he wrote. "It was motivated by my friend Sara's talk of treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration."

Tanner described his fascination with the desert and his preparations for the trip.

Hmmm, I wonder if he was actually following a lead to gold and silver, or if he was just planning on hiking and looking around every so often? Have you seen anything about whether he was found with any treasure hunting equipment?

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
T.Parker said:
af1733 said:

Hmmm, I wonder if he was actually following a lead to gold and silver, or if he was just planning on hiking and looking around every so often? Have you seen anything about whether he was found with any treasure hunting equipment?

it was all news to me as of this morning and i havnt found anything else out.

Im sure he was looking into some kind of lead...(im just guessing)....as his blog said he was obsessed with the thought of treasure laying around out in the desert ! (we all know how that goes) Probably picked up a story somewhere and dove feet first into going to take a look.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
This story made me think of that guy from the Darwin Awards. He wanted to break a world record by hiking 20 miles across the Badwater Salt Flats alone. He was found dead within eye sight of his car. He had become so dehydrated that his weight was down from 165 to around 90.

Doctors speculate that when he saw his car, he thought he was safe and sat down to rest. Due to the extreme heat, his body had lost too much fluid and his heart was unable to pump the unnaturally viscous blood to his brain. So, he fell unconscious and died.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One less meat head perpetuating the stereo type machismo head stomping rigged main stream televised violence
:thumbsup:

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the actual post he left on his blog. You can read it for yourself and see he does not mention going out searching for anything in particular. He says that " Treasure does not necessarily mean something material ". Here is the link to the blog if you want to read it and see the pics that are missing from my post. that is what he is talking about at the end o fhte blog. There are pics that gop in the blank spots between the sentences. http://www.spike.com/profile/Evan_Tanner

August 16, 2008 in UFC

Treasure hunting in the desert.
It's Saturday night. I'm not out on the town socializing, not hanging out with friends, not chillin, watchin movies. I'm sitting on my couch beside a stack of books, listening to some Eddie Vedder, reading about the Southern California desert.

I'm hoping that very soon I'll be sitting out in the quiet of the desert beneath a deep blue midnight sky, listening to the calm desert breeze. The idea going into the desert came to me soon after I moved to Oceanside. It was motivated by my friend Sara's talk of treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration. I began to imagine what might be found in the deep reaches of the untracked desert. It became an obsession of sorts.

"Treasure" doesn't necessarily refer to something material.

Today, I ran to the store to pick up a few things, and with the lonesome, quiet desert thoughts on my mind, I couldn't help but be struck with their brutally stark contrast to my current surroundings, the amazing congestion in which we exist day to day. The landscape as far as I could see, crowded, choked, with me and the rest of the species, an almost writhing mass of organisms, fighting over space and resources,....on the highways, in the parking lots, on the sidewalks, and in the ailse of the stores. And to think, there are still places in the world where man has not been, where he has left no footprints, where the mysteries stand secure, untouched by human eyes. I want to go to these places, the quiet, timeless, ageless places, and sit, letting silence and solitude be my teachers.

I've been gathering my gear for this adventure for over a month, not a long time by most standards, but far too long for my impatient nature. Being a minimalist by nature, wanting to carry only the essentials, and being extremely particular, it has been a little difficult to find just the right equipment. I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life. I've been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I'm going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.

One more week. I think one more week, and I'll be ready to go.

I had been waiting on some parts I ordered for the bike. Aluminum luggage panniers, crash bars, and other necessities for a real adventure.

** MISSING PICTURE **

It's always like Christmas when the Wells Fargo wagon comes to town. UPS, I know.

** MISSING PICTURE **

My friend Jorge getting to work reading the instructions. I stay away from them as much as possible.

** MISSING PICTURE **

Got to work with plenty of daylight left.

** MISSING PICTURE **

It seems that aftermarket parts never seem to fit quite right. Slowed things down a bit. Got caught finishing up in the dark.

** MISSING PICTURE **

The next day. The apartments are being painted, so I had to park both bikes out front on the street. The salt air is eating up my Harley. Not liking that.

** MISSING PICTURE **

A few more small things, and the KLR will be ready for the great desert adventure.

Posted by: Evan_Tanner

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
its a real shame that this happened but i find it hard to feel bad for this guy. anyone who doesnt have the common sense enough to know that trekking out into the desert by yourself is really really stupid has it coming in my book.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
truckinbutch said:
Sort of like the guy that got himself and his girlfriend eaten by his "buddy",the grizzly bear.

exactly. :wink:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY! I've been going out in the desert by myself for many years. As long as you are familiar with where you are going, it's not a problem, and I've been out there when the air temp was about 130 and the temp on the rocks was in the 140s.

His biggest problem is that he must not have been familiar with where he wanted to trek. On my website, I have have an entire section on Survival, and a ton of digitized military field manuals free to download (the manuals are in the Reference Section):

http://1oro1.com/survival/index.html

Best-Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great bump waffles i lost the link from old puter :thumbsup:

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
EDDE said:
One less meat head perpetuating the stereo type machismo head stomping rigged main stream televised violence
:thumbsup:

Wow. What a moronic post. I am an ex fighter (still train) and have known Evan for 25 + years during our freestyle wrestling days. Most of the top tier fighters I know are college graduates as well as Olympic athletes. I myself went to Stanford and UC Davis on a scholarship. What Stereotype is it that you are perpetuating here? The "moronic speaking of something you know nothing about" stereotype that runs rampant in our society?

Attachments

• evantannintervi.jpg
    evantannintervi.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 616

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions