3 Million Nickels

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Even when they clean it, they won't get them all...

...and if someone in the distant future happened to detect this site without knowing this story, can't you imagine them wondering why there were so many nickels in one patch of grass?

Jay

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I recall back in the 70s or 80s when an armoured car overturned on an overpass.

Lotsa bags of cash fell on the street below. People went nuts.

Naturally, the armoured car service offered a reward of 10% of the total turned in.

However, one guy called a TV station that evening, and, while declining to give his name (of course), he said he had got enough cash from the scene that he was set for life, and he was moving out of town immediately.

Lucky bastid.
;D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
We had something similar happen in a small town just outside of Lubbock Texas a few years back. A truck overturned carrying something like 4.8 million Denver-minted pennies overturned into a bar ditch during a downpour. The company I was working with at the time was housed in a building owned by my boss's father, and the father contracted with the government to clean and repackage the pennies, so a day or so after the accident three flat-bed semi's pulled up at one of our warehouses and started to offload something like 20 tons of dirt and pennies dug out of the ditch. It took almost 4 months to sort the coins.

The father tried 3 or 4 different methods for sorting the coins before he came up with a large sifter-screen with 1/4 inch wire mesh that he would dump a few bucket-loads of dirt onto and wash out with water, then sort out the rocks and plant-bits by hand, dry the coins and rebag them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions