Jadeite axes found - Treasure from Stone Age

Satori

Aug 1, 2007
Anywhere there's treasure
Reward for tourists who handed in buried treasure from Stone Age
Adam Sage, Paris

Adam MacHale had always dreamt of finding treasure on his travels. But as the British holidaymaker scoured the shallows of a beach in Brittany, he didn’t expect to find more than a few pretty seashells.

Even when the greenish-coloured blade caught his eye in the sea off Petit Rohu beach he believed that, at best, he had found a clam shell.

It turned out to be a Stone Age axe - one of four he found in what French experts are hailing as an exceptional archaeological discovery.

Now Mr MacHale and Sonia Hoba, his French girlfriend, have been put forward for a prize from the Ministry of Culture for donating the Neolithic axes to the State.
Related Links

Officials say they deserve the reward, which could be as much as €30,000 (£23,800), for resisting the temptation to keep the objects or to sell them to a private collector.

“Their attitude was that of good citizens,” said Emmanuelle Vigier, curator at Carnac Museum of Prehistory in southern Brittany, where the axes went on display this week.

Mr MacHale, 38, a telecommunications engineer from Malvern, Worces-tershire, noticed a pair of glistening objects sticking out of the mud at low tide while on holiday with his two children and Ms Hoba, 34, in Saint-Pierre-Quiberon in August 2007.

“I thought they were two edges of a clam shell and I was a bit nervous putting my hand down at first in case it snapped shut on me.”

The axes, made from jadeite, were buried in what was then marshland, about 6,500 years ago, according to French scientists. Researchers believe that the axes, made from a rock found in the Italian Alps, were owned by a Stone Age elite and had possibly been received as a form of diplomatic gift from leaders elsewhere.

S

stefen

Isn't it wonderful how researchers (archeologists) can fabricate a fairy tale for an object based on nothing other than an anal pick...

"...were owned by a Stone Age elite and had possibly been received as a form of diplomatic gift from leaders elsewhere..."

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Officials say they deserve the reward, which could be as much as €30,000 (£23,800), for resisting the temptation to keep the objects or to sell them to a private collector.

This should be shown to lawmakers and archeologists around the world(except for England, which has already figured it out).

Pay finders what it's worth and they will turn stuff in. It's simple.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread