Wanted - Starter Metal Detector

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
I'm looking for a used Starter Metal detector. Any unit that you have laying around collecting dust that still works would be fine with me. I would like to get into metal detecting, but can't make an investment in a unit yet, until I make a first few finds for the hobby to start paying for itself. I got into coin roll hunting a couple months ago when I found this board. That hobby has been paying for itself, so the wife doesn't mind so much as long as it pays for itself.

Free would be best, so I don't have to explain it to the wife, but I suppose I could trade 2 rolls of %40 Silver Half dollars..

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Right..............

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 255
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
2 rolls of 40% is about $100 in silver... I suppose i could go 3 rolls... or about $150.. How much would you say for a used basic starter unit.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tim2357 said:
pinebarrens1 has offered a Bounty Hunter Prospector, for 2 rolls for %40....
I see one listed here $80 for http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds_config.pl?noframes;read=148808

Is this a good unit to start with?.
I'm hoping to dig old coins or rings, and maybe around the lake.. so I'm also wondering if the coil on this would be water proof?

The Bounty Hunter prospector is a good unit.

It works well in parks and fields. It works well around fresh water.

For 80 bucks with headphones you can't go wrong.

Just remember to dig everything until you get used to the tones.

Download the Prospector Manual here:

http://www.detecting.com/products/product.cmdl?c=e0109bb4afb45209

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like the Prospector is very similar to the tracker IV, which is the one I was thinking about getting anyway...

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
THE COILS ARE WATERPROOF

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I bought this one last night.

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds_config.pl?noframes;read=148808

also bought this pinpointer

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

I picked it up today at my local harbor freight store to save on shipping.
After a fresh battery and adjusting the sensitivity right to the limit before it starts a solid tone it is detecting coins about 2 inches away...Which is good enough for what what I was hoping for a pinpointer to do. Can't beat $16

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Well, I got my metal detector, and tested it last night using a variety of items including a 1854 Gold dollar. We got about 4 inches of snow last night, and with 15 mph winds and windchil of -2 I went out and scored my first find.

Attachments

• First find.jpg
    First find.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 189
  • First find .jpg
    First find .jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 194

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats a nice gold dollar

crh has to pay for itself -- since you find silver at "face" value -- and since the coins value will always be at least face --no matter what silver does up or down wize simply put you can't lose --- and if you sell a few silvers that you find replacing the "base face" value ---the "cash" excess you earn is your own "free money" to play with that way momma can't say "boo" since your not shorting the house hold "income" for your "hobbie" items -

use your earned by CRH "hobby" found silver --sell it to fund your fun -- complaint free of the wife --she gets your "job" money for bills -- hobby made cash is "bonus money" you earn for your fun items --that is more than fair to her and "the house".

if she wants your "free money" you get from your CRH hobby too -- I'd say "sorry" shes just being greedy --(some women want every buck their man ever gets -- they keep their man broke and poor and no matter how much he earns --the money is all hers --its a power game ) the only way I'd hand over my "hobby" made money is if we were way behind "household" bills wize.

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
1851, and 1854 They are about 1/20 of an OZ, and sound somewhat similar to the aluminum foil.

If anyone was interested in them... I have to say that I think they may have made into a set of earrings in a past life because they both have a identical spot that looks like it was drilled,and filled, or perhaps soldered? A coin dealer told me they were cleaned and thought they would only be worth around $80 a piece

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread