🙋 WANTED WTB: Broken or busted pinpointers

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to replace my current pinpointer (I think it's a Bounty Hunter), but I don't want to use a 9V battery with my new pinpointer. I will probably buy a Minelab Pro-Find, Fisher F-Pulse, Whites TRX or the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (aka: the Garrett Carrot). But if I buy one that uses a 9V battery, it's staying in the package until I have a functional method or operating it without a 9V battery. Because using the Minelab or Garrett Carrot is my preference, I will plan on examining the feasibility of running either with AAA batteries (lithium, NiMH LSD and alkaline).

Therefore, I need a pinpointer to work on when trying to size everything, but I don't want to work on a fully functional one, in case I break it during development. So I'm looking for anyone who might have any of the following pinpointers:

Minelabs Pro-Find 35
Any version of the Garrett Pro-Pointers (AT, Pro-Pointer original or Pro-Pointer II).

I'm willing to pay $5 per propointer + your actual cost of shipping. I can pay via Paypal and will add $1 to cover the fee. If you feel a higher price is warranted, let me know why and I may be willing to give you more. For example, if you have a Garrett Pro-Pointer and the only thing wrong with it is a broken switch, I'd be willing to pay more than $5 for it.

Oh, and I'm only looking for sellers in the USA (to save on shipping costs on my end, that's all).

Thanks for looking!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mh, welcome to treasurenet, great to have you.

There always has to be a charter member involved in any sell either as seller or buyer, since your not a charter member it means only cm can reply with offer to sell, anyone else who replies with offer to sell who isnt charter member their reply will be deleted. Just giving y po u heads up incase you see post disappear you will know why.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, thanks for the heads up.

How do you become a charter member?

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: Now only looking for Pro-Find 15 or 35 pinpointers. Now willing to pay $10 and up (plus shipping), depending on unit's condition.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also willing to purchase fully functional Pro-Find 35 (and maybe the Pro-Find 15) units.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious as to your aversion to a 9v battery? If it's a rechargeable 9v battery you wish for then get one with a 9.6v rating like i have. It's the lower voltages of other 9v rechargeables that presents the problem with them as they still have plenty of power left in them, but their operating voltages go below the minimum voltage requirements of the pinpointers.
Here is a link to one and get a good charger for it too if you go this route.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...vp_pre_charged_rechargeable_nimh_battery.html

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious as to your aversion to a 9v battery? If it's a rechargeable 9v battery you wish for then get one with a 9.6v rating like i have. It's the lower voltages of other 9v rechargeables that presents the problem with them as they still have plenty of power left in them, but their operating voltages go below the minimum voltage requirements of the pinpointers.
Here is a link to one and get a good charger for it too if you go this route.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...vp_pre_charged_rechargeable_nimh_battery.html

What's my aversion to the 9V battery? What's your aversion to to horse drawn carriages as a primary means of personal transportation?

If you're truly curious, you can read my other thread about it here:(deleted by mod for rule violation, no links to other treasure websites)

Last edited by a moderator:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I read the first page and you have a point in that a 9v battery will only supply so much power due to its size. Other types are more popular and add physical size to achieve the higher electrical capacity. The 9v battery was a compromise battery to the needs of the electronics vs size of the battery way back then. AA batteries were unpopular then just as the 9v battery is unpopular today. Your best recourse is an external battery pack that wires into the pinpointers or whatever else you wish to power, but involves the wired leads and a passage way into the device which could compromise it with a water or rain event. If you come up with something innovative please do write it here so that we may see what you've come up with.

Adding that any modification to a device could compromise the warranty on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I read the first page and you have a point in that a 9v battery will only supply so much power due to its size. Other types are more popular and add physical size to achieve the higher electrical capacity. The 9v battery was a compromise battery to the needs of the electronics vs size of the battery way back then. AA batteries were unpopular then just as the 9v battery is unpopular today. Your best recourse is an external battery pack that wires into the pinpointers or whatever else you wish to power, but involves the wired leads and a passage way into the device which could compromise it with a water or rain event. If you come up with something innovative please do write it here so that we may see what you've come up with.

I will definitely post a thread when I'm done; I already have a working prototype. I'm now stalled because the next step is to cut up the pinpointer itself and I REALLY won't want to do it when I haven't even taken it out on a hunt yet and it has almost 100% of its warranty left.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...911-using-pro-find-35-without-9v-battery.html

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
That will work, but being the voltage converter is being run by the battery and the on/off switch is further up the circuit, this will continue to draw power from the battery until dead if you don't disconnect it. Furthermore, if it is equal to a 9v battery then why go through all of this trouble as you can get a rechargeable 9v battery instead and the on/off switch will disconnect the battery from any draw?

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That will work, but being the voltage converter is being run by the battery and the on/off switch is further up the circuit, this will continue to draw power from the battery until dead if you don't disconnect it. Furthermore, if it is equal to a 9v battery then why go through all of this trouble as you can get a rechargeable 9v battery instead and the on/off switch will disconnect the battery from any draw?

Yeah, there will be parasitic current draw and yes, this is a lot of trouble. So why do it? Because I HATE 9V BATTERIES THAT MUCH. It's also a symbolic way I can try to stick it to the companies that are too stubborn or cheap to innovate.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some people on the forum good with 3D printers.
You might what to look into having a case 3D printed.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's some people on the forum good with 3D printers.
You might what to look into having a case 3D printed.

But 3d printing is the easy way! But yes, it would save me from having to cut up my current end cap.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, sorry about that! I'll remove the link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread