Looking for a detector to gift to my dad for Christmas...

crumpinator

Nov 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to get my dad to go metal detecting with me on various occasions saying we could spend "valuable father son bonding time":laughing9:, whether it be to the beach or an old house site, and there seems to be a recurring excuse; I dont have the time, or I dont have a detector and Im not sharing yours.

I would say that he is not entry level, but he is definitely not too experienced :laughing7: so I would like to potentially gift him a decent detector so we could spend time in the field together. I need to know what type of detector I should think about purchasing that isnt too expensive in case he ends up giving up on the hobby, but also isnt completely useless in the field. I want him to enjoy going out there and digging up history :D.

Let me know what you guys think would be a good mid-entry level detector that wont break the bank!

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if there are and Nokta Simplex+ available by then...cant go wrong for the price and features. $339 shipped with wireless phones.

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Nokta Makro Simplex. They just got delivered to the USA. I'm expecting mine tomorrow.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet! The Simplex+ seems like a great suggestion for your Dad. Loosely based on what videos I seen. I haven’t yet used one. That will be tomorrow for me. Good luck with your choices.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they said or a Garrett Ace 400. The Simplex is so new no one knows how it will do. However, by the end of this month you should be able to get some user feedback.

Sal

Sep 17, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
dfx-eagle 2 sl-troy x 5-newforce r 1-6000 xl pro- tejon-cz 6a- shadow x 5 xp deus explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 350 is a good priced unit that has v.g ratings.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
before you worry about what detector to get him, first you need to find if he REALLY wants one. Sounds like hes making excuses to not go metal detecting. Just because people here love to detect, dont assume everyone else will. Most people find it to be the most boring thing on the planet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread