More scammers...BEWARE!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased a MD on this site a few weeks ago. A member of this site under the name of goyetteham, responded. I purchased the MD, but never heard hide nor hair from him after I paid for the item...even after repeated attempts to reach him. Please be careful when asking to buy something on this site! You are perfect prey for these predators!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal, sorry to hear about the scam, but there were some red flags, goyetteham is a new member, just joined January 31st, he hadn't made a single post and if you search that name in google there are multiple posts about scams on different websites under that name.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes indeed, this site or any site.
Sorry to hear, hate to hear news of being scammed - So its clear and possibly for the benefit of others, did this guy post a sales ad, how exactly was this fraud transaction made ?

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a "want to buy" ad and he/she was the first to reply. They sent me pictures and everything. Looking back now, I should have done my homework and checked out this person's background. Lesson learned...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a "want to buy" ad and he/she was the first to reply. They sent me pictures and everything. Looking back now, I should have done my homework and checked out this person's background. Lesson learned...

Remember you can always ask a mod if there have been any complaints about a member and a sale too, even though there was none for him I would have done a google search and advise not to buy from him.. Again I am sincerely very sorry you were scammed.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Damn, been here over 15 years and never noticed want to buy subforum, I reckon that would be most vulnerable of all to buyers if they don't have to be charter members to sell.
Red flags mentioned, should have been burning for a new join with no posting history but for anyone regardless of forum status, unless we have a history of years long banter which some I do, I would want a phone number to talk to the person, I do this when buying and selling on craigslist as well ,,,, You can get a little feel for the person, and anyways most scammers wouldn't want to give out their phone number.
I then would have paid by paypal, where at least you have some chance of getting your $$ back, unless they talk you into the "Friends and family" payment option [another red flag if they do] because it is convenient if you have reason to trust the person or actually know them, you don't get charged fees, but the kicker is you are on your own if you don't get the goods.

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did use PayPal, but I used the friends and family option which voids any chance of getting my money back. I'm still new to this forum (less than a year). Perhaps there should be something in BOLD PRINT about how to go about doing business when looking for something, including googling the source...etc. Disappointed more than anything else, but at least I'm alive:)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did use PayPal, but I used the friends and family option which voids any chance of getting my money back. I'm still new to this forum (less than a year). Perhaps there should be something in BOLD PRINT about how to go about doing business when looking for something, including googling the source...etc. Disappointed more than anything else, but at least I'm alive:)

Never ever use Paypal's "friends and family" to buy from someone you do not know and trust.

Actually there is......

TERMS, CONDITIONS, & GUIDELINES

"A WARNING ABOUT ONLINE FORUM CLASSIFIEDSIn recent years, online classifieds scams have increased and have affected many people. They pose threats to both sellers and buyers. Typical Examples: (there are others!)

A scammer posing as a seller may post an ad for an item that he/she doesn't really have.

The seller will then ask for money, and after receiving it, refer the buyer to the shipping company who is supposed to send the item to the buyer. The buyer waits for few days and contacts the seller, but there's no answer. The buyer tries again for couple of more days... but still no answer. Finally the buyer decides to call the shipping company with the reference number for the item. The shipping company replies that they don't have anything related to this reference number or it is not for your item.

A scammer posing as a buyer may ask for the item to be shipped, and promise "the check is in the mail..." but the check never arrives. There is an almost unlimited variety of potential scams. From simple to complex, from petty amounts to millions of dollars. We strongly urge you to use caution when making deals online!

If anyone makes a statement such as "I am a valued/respected member of TreasureNet, trust me", BE WARY! If anyone makes a statement such as "the operators at TreasureNet.com know and trust me", THAT IS FALSE! We do not vouch for the credibility or honesty of anyone at TreasureNet! (but we still love most of you! ;))

Be especially wary of any dealings with people outside your local area.

We recommend you always verify the person's identity and location you are dealing with before completing any deal... Have them call you, and confirm their phone number. If their phone number is blocked or unidentified USE EXTREME CAUTION! While confirming their phone number is no guarantee of their legitimacy or honesty, it is one thing you can do to lessen the risk of being scammed!

TreasureNet urges all users to use due diligence when using our Classified Ad section."

TreasureNet - Rules

Also first thread on the classified forum about Paypal Gift.
PAYPAL GIFT OPTION NOT ALLOWED IN SALE ADS (treasurenet.com)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions