"Unread Replies"

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Unread Replies"

When clicking on unread replies and there are currently none, shouldn't the message be, "No Replies" instead of "No Messages?"

Not trying to nit-pik but was just thinkin'.....
There are other nuances that probably should be addressed but, what do I know? :dontknow:

Best,
Scott

PS. I think I may have just thought of a new business venture; "Internet Website Proofreader"....
Aw, shoot. Someone else has probably beat me to it....

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN'T FIND THE UNREAD REPLIES....
WHERE ARE THEY?:dontknow:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
No, not Personal Messages, there was a Unread Replies (to "My" posts) function that used to be in the top and bottom tool bars, which I can't find now either. Do we not have that ability any more, or is it that we have to "subscribe" to each thread that we post in, in order to see when there are new posts? Any suggestions?
Oroblanco

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
No, not Personal Messages, there was a Unread Replies (to "My" posts) function that used to be in the top and bottom tool bars, which I can't find now either. Do we not have that ability any more, or is it that we have to "subscribe" to each thread that we post in, in order to see when there are new posts? Any suggestions?
Oroblanco

I belive you have to supscibe to a thread now.That option from the old board did not make it across.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
So the answer is no, we don't have that ability? Any chance that we will in the future? I don't have the time to go hunt through every discussion that I have participated in, and the extra time required to subscribe just seems like a nuisance.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Right under the home, is a button called new posts try that. For a specific thread subscribe.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
So, if someone replies to a thread you created or participated in, there is no way to know unless you've subscribed to that thread? Unread replies was the first thing and sometimes the only thing I checked every night when I logged on here. Sometimes I only want to know what has been added to a topic I am currently involved in. Is there a way to bring that feature back?

Picture this,
I rarely go to the bottles forum, but I posted a thread a long time ago there about a bottle dump I found. There were a lot of pics and some good discussion, but now the discussion has ended. I knew when someone posted in the thread because I checked unread replies, but other than that, I don't go to the bottles forum. Now, if someone comes in and revives the thread with a comment or question about my finds, I won't ever know and won't ever answer them. A loss to me, because I like to participate in these discussions. A loss to the member asking the question, because they never get their answer, and a loss to the forum because two members failed to receive satisfaction from the asking and telling.

Without this feature, my interest here will be limited, as it was the main thing I used. I did look at unread posts as well, which I also do not see. I read the daily threads from there, and if I made a reply, I knew I could go to unread replies to see if more discussion was added since my last visit. Not being able to do this means I will lose interest (already have).

What about this as a suggestion: If when a person starts a thread or replies to one, they are automatically subscribed to it, and then there could be a quick link in the site toolbar to subscribed threads so we can view them. Then, have a cookie that remembers which ones you have already seen and it makes the title faded unless a new post has been added, then the title is bold again, alerting the user that there is unread content in the thread. This would remedy the situation.

it would also be nice to have the "unread posts" option again as well.

Edit:
I see that once I posted this, it is in my subscribed threads, so part of my suggestion was already in place. I wonder if it will change (some kind of notification by the thread title that there is new content) when someone else posts after me so that I know to check it again. This is my first post here since the change to vbulletin.

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the answer is no, we don't have that ability? Any chance that we will in the future? I don't have the time to go hunt through every discussion that I have participated in, and the extra time required to subscribe just seems like a nuisance.

In the navbar up top, click on the My Posts, next to the Quick Links. Then from the drop down you can click on "My Posts / Replies" -- on the threads that show up here, the ones that are bold have unread replies. The ones that are not bold do not have anything new.

So, if someone replies to a thread you created or participated in, there is no way to know unless you've subscribed to that thread? Unread replies was the first thing and sometimes the only thing I checked every night when I logged on here. Sometimes I only want to know what has been added to a topic I am currently involved in. Is there a way to bring that feature back?

Picture this,
I rarely go to the bottles forum, but I posted a thread a long time ago there about a bottle dump I found. There were a lot of pics and some good discussion, but now the discussion has ended. I knew when someone posted in the thread because I checked unread replies, but other than that, I don't go to the bottles forum. Now, if someone comes in and revives the thread with a comment or question about my finds, I won't ever know and won't ever answer them. A loss to me, because I like to participate in these discussions. A loss to the member asking the question, because they never get their answer, and a loss to the forum because two members failed to receive satisfaction from the asking and telling.

The new system supports this as well as thread subscriptions. By default if you post in a thread you subscribe to that thread. You can now keep track of it depending on how you want to do so. You can get an instant email notification anytime anyone posts in there and the email it sends you even contains the full text they post. If you choose to get emails. You can get daily updates. You can get weekly updates. Or you can simply "Subscribe" through the control panel so if you click on "Subscribed Threads" you see every thread you are subscribed to. Unread posts are bold. Read posts are not bold.

So either method I described above should work for you. The only time using thread subscriptions is a problem is in the situation where in the conversion if a thread did not get "subscribed" for you that you participated in the past. This should have been done for you during the import, but it is possible it wasn't 100% perfect.

Without this feature, my interest here will be limited, as it was the main thing I used. I did look at unread posts as well, which I also do not see. I read the daily threads from there, and if I made a reply, I knew I could go to unread replies to see if more discussion was added since my last visit. Not being able to do this means I will lose interest (already have).

What about this as a suggestion: If when a person starts a thread or replies to one, they are automatically subscribed to it, and then there could be a quick link in the site toolbar to subscribed threads so we can view them. Then, have a cookie that remembers which ones you have already seen and it makes the title faded unless a new post has been added, then the title is bold again, alerting the user that there is unread content in the thread.

This is exactly how the system works ;)

I found a couple of videos that may explain it better then I can:

To set your default thread subscription mode, click on Settings at the top, then General Settings. To view your currently subscribed threads, you can click on "Quick Links" then Subscribed Threads.

I hope that with the various number of ways to keep track of your important posts and threads that everyone will have an option that works out for them.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Okay, but what designates the thread as needing to be read again? I checked this one before I read your reply, and the title was the same as it is now as far as I can tell. (under the subscribed threads). If I look under "my posts/replies", I just see my actual posts, no indication that the thread the posts are in have more content than they did last time I looked.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
if you go to the top of the page and click on settings and then view all subscribed threads all the subscribed threads will show up.
regular threads with no new posts are grey files.
regular threads with new posts are blue files.
hot threads are gold colored files.
hot threads with new posts have a blue ribbon on the file.
hot threads with no new posts have a red ribbon on the file.
files with a circle on the file are threads you have posted in.
files with a lock on the file are closed threads.

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, but what designates the thread as needing to be read again? I checked this one before I read your reply, and the title was the same as it is now as far as I can tell. (under the subscribed threads). If I look under "my posts/replies", I just see my actual posts, no indication that the thread the posts are in have more content than they did last time I looked.

2Screwed has a good summary of the icons as well.

Essentially, you need to keep in mind that if you have a tab open or window open and you don't refresh the window the status of the threads can be out of date. Ie, lets say I click on a link to read a thread and open it in a new window. After I read that thread and close it, if I come back to my main window... the window hasn't updated. So it's not going to reflect that I just read that thread unless I refresh the page.

If a thread is bold, it means someone has posted new content in there since I read it... by reading it, you have to go to the last page in the thread. Not just the first page.

Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread