This site is too cluttered

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site has WAY too many categories. This makes it very difficult to navigate and less likely to to get responses to certain posts. It's just too spread out and gets very frustrating when sifting through the multitude of sections. Condense the categories, please! It's just too much to scroll through.

In addition, I think it would be better to have the location sections at the top instead of the bottom. Being from California, I frankly don't care about the nickel Bob found in South Carolina. I want to learn more about my specific location just as many, if not most, here do. Having the locations at the top should draw in more people and make them more likely to write relevant posts.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I'm new here, but I would have to agree with much of the first posters opinion. I just keep hitting "Last 200 Posts" and scan through to see if there are any topics I am interested in.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Treasurenet If You want to see Cluttered You should See My Treasure Hunting Desk!!!! Chug It like A metal Explosion Happend that Cant Be Cleaned Up!!!!!

Now for the Serious Part!!!!!! Paying for a Charter Membership Has Many Benefits!!! #1 Seeing Live Posts as Soon as they are Posted!!!! # 2 Search's are the Bomb!!!! Ill Let others add to this One

Again Welcome to Treasurenet!!!

One of My favorite areas to Watch Is the What is It section!!! also Beach and Shallow water!!!

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
You have the choice as to what topics you see,I think its on your profile page.

While you are not interested in Bob's nickle in SC, others can learn new things and appreciate the work involved.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NaturalJWL said:
You have the choice as to what topics you see,I think its on your profile page.

While you are not interested in Bob's nickle in SC, others can learn new things and appreciate the work involved.

I understand that and I'm not saying that Bob shouldn't share his story. All I'm saying is it needs to be organized better. As mentioned above, maybe I'll look into the benefits of a paid membership.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I like the way it is layed out, it is easier to find a post about a certain style of hunting this way..... If you have a problem getting a reply on something, post it under a related board that has more traffic....

Being a charter member gives you the ability to search, want to find out about a mod on a detector use search, remember reading about something but don't remember where it was, use search....

As far as the location section, I personally don't think it would matter where it is placed it would be used about the same amount, it stands out just as much at the bottom as it would at the top......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine how clutterd it would be if there were 2 Subjects

Todays Finds & Eveything else.

By the time you Come on there would
be 200 Hundred Posts in one Catagory.

& By the time you Got through them,
& what was posted in that time,
You'd miss a years sleep :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Imagine how clutterd it would be if there were 2 Subjects

Todays Finds & Eveything else.

By the time you Come on there would
be 200 Hundred Posts in one Catagory.

& By the time you Got through them,
& what was posted in that time,
You'd miss a years sleep :laughing7:

Who said anything about only 2 subjects? It's just too spread out and time consuming just to find what categories you want to post in or read about. This is especially true for dead sections such as "X Marks the Spot" that shouldn't even have their own section. Also, "Civil War" and "Revolutionary War" can be condensed to "Early America" or something along those lines.

Let me break it down on how I would do it if given the choice:

Have a general discussion area (national) for "What is it?", "General discussion", "How much is it worth?", "Tips", and "Classifieds". I would then have a "Pick a state" type section that would be broken down into "Metal Detecting", "Legends", "Laws", "Local finds", "Local tips", "Groups", and "General discussion". Again, being from California, I don't really want to scroll through the Civil War relics or Florida shipwrecks sections. Although I find those interesting and would likely read about them, most users want to get to information that pertains to them quickly and read this supplemental information when they have the time.

This is the suggestion box and this is my suggestion. I wouldn't expect people who have been here for years and know their way around the multitude of subjects to be open to changing it. However, as a newcomer and someone who frequently lurks the site, this is how it is perceived. Not just by me but by most, if not all, newcomers here. It's intimidating and frustrating to new people to see how cluttered this site is. Perhaps that's the reason the Kinzli forum for California detecting is doing so much better than the California section here. It is much more simplified and specific.

I don't really understand why people find this to be an unreasonable suggestion other than the stubbornness of the long-time members. Just a suggestion. Do with it what you will. But know that it is only a matter of time before someone comes along with a forum that is just as comprehensive but much more user friendly. When that forum is made, this one may find itself going the way of Atlantis.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Suggestions are Always appreciated,

& I Was just Making an Exaggerated Example
to get my point accross That Clutterd can work Both ways.

Either Cluttered With Forum Titles

Or Clutterd With topics :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another example there are those who like civil war but
don't care about revolutionary relics, because of their area.

just like I Like French & Indian war

& Not civil war because the civil war was not here.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
another example there are those who like civil war but
don't care about revolutionary relics, because of their area.

just like I Like French & Indian war

& Not civil war because the civil war was not here.

Right. And I just want you guys to know that I'm not complaining about the site as I find the people to be very nice and helpful. Plus, it's the most comprehensive treasure site I have found on-line. I just wish it were more organized.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customx_12 said:
I don't really understand why people find this to be an unreasonable suggestion other than the stubbornness of the long-time members. Just a suggestion. Do with it what you will. But know that it is only a matter of time before someone comes along with a forum that is just as comprehensive but much more user friendly. When that forum is made, this one may find itself going the way of Atlantis.

No offense, but just because I or we don't agree with your suggestion doesn't mean we are being stubborn, we just don't agree with your suggestion is all....

TreasureNet has been around since 1995, there are many other treasure websites, and so far none come close to the ranking of TreasureNet in page views or vistors.......

TreasureNet Website Ranking
Worldwide Rank 75,052
United States 19,595

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Customx_12 said:

No offense, but just because I or we don't agree with your suggestion doesn't mean we are being stubborn, we just don't agree with your suggestion is all....

TreasureNet has been around since 1995, there are many other treasure websites, and so far none come close to the ranking of TreasureNet in page views or vistors.......

Worldwide Rank 75,052
United States 19,595

Does that mean it can't be improved on? Or made more appealing for new members while being more organized for existing members?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customx_12 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Customx_12 said:

Worldwide Rank 75,052
United States 19,595

Does that mean it can't be improved on? Or made more appealing for new members while being more organized for existing members?

No, anything can be improved, it just simply means that I personally don't agree with you on your suggestion is all......TreasureNet has been changed several times since I have been here. Example, just recently the entire home page for the website was redone...... In my opinion it is the most easily navigated treasure website on the net and I have been on all of them.........

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have Only been On this site for just a little over a Year!!! And Have seen Many Changes!!! Most of them Positive!!! Some of Them Not so Positive But With A few Comments And Some Support The Moderators Listen And Change What Needs To Be Done ( Any one remember the Beach and Shallow water Change :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: ) HH Chug Sorry don't Yank My charter Membership!!!! ( Thanks for extending It for a Month I will Be paying for the New one On the 20Th!!!! Dont Know What We will do Without it for a couple of Days Days!!!

The Moderators look forward to all Comments from everyone and Will make Changes!!!!!

S

stefen

Again, it ain't broke...so let evolution slowly remove the rough edges and it will improve as time goes by... :coffee2:

Now, the real truth is."....................

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If you go to your profile you can ignore any topics you want to. I have several of them checked off so they don't clutter up "unread posts". Now if I get the urge to look at what the coin roll hunters are finding I can still go there but I don't have to wade through 50 posts that I am not usually interested in. Good luck and if you need any help just let us know.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
If you go to your profile you can ignore any topics you want to. I have several of them checked off so they don't clutter up "unread posts". Now if I get the urge to look at what the coin roll hunters are finding I can still go there but I don't have to wade through 50 posts that I am not usually interested in. Good luck and if you need any help just let us know.

HH Charlie

I did that about a week ago and it makes a huge difference. Thanks!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Me personally, I look/scan all the unread posts since my last visit and read the ones that I am interested in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread