Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4714 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben View Post
    Bug report (using Firefox):
    As of this morning, I cannot stay logged in, after logging in successfully and then closing my browser. It asks me to log in every time I open a new browser.
    Pages are loading very very slowly.

Looking for some follow up on my previous post...
    Looks like some changes were made to the "parent" pages and actual posts.
    However, when browsing topics in today's finds, I am still having a hard time looking at the titles. It looks too cluttered when combined with the BOLD text.
    Are you considering altering this in any way? As it currently appears, it is very hard to focus or zero-in on the topics that I want to open.
    Yep, titles need to be by theirselves and thread starters need to be in column just like last post by is. If they do that,people will start coming back to this site.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9854 times

The New Forum: Gripes, Issues and Other Mentionables...

Feel free to add to this thread.

I was going to add this to the New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread. but decided to make a post on it's own so others could add their own concerns to it. I don't know how this will be taken (constructively I hope) but here are my issues after the first week or so of the new forum.

1- I think it was mentioned before, can we get the green check mark back on the "what is it" forum to show whether a post has been solved or not. That was a unique and integral part of that particular forum. Right now I see you've utilized the green check to show "subscribed threads" or to "subscribe" to a forum. Bad move.

2- Also how come we can't see what child forum our "subscribed threads" are posted in when viewing them from their perspective page under quick links? Had it before.

3- After replying to a post, I am still on the same thread versus returning to the child forum board itself.

4- You can't see the topic when moving your cursor over the banner as you could before.

5- I think the gold TN coin (double-click this icon to mark this forum and it's contents as read) on the left side of each subject board is kinda of useless. I mean who has actually read every subject in an entire forum and why would they need to mark it read to begin with? And why are some of them silver?

6- RSS feeds- who cares? except maybe the 20 (or a few 30) somethings. Maybe you are trying to attract a younger type member to the site? The "old" guys are your main member base.

7- Certain pages (especially ones with pics and a lot of replies) are still very slow to load in IE8 and Firefox. I do weekly maintenance on my PC's so it's not caused from a build up of anything. Happens on my laptop too which is 4 times the machine my desktop is.
    There is a glitch somewhere.

8-What about all of our old bookmarks? I guess they are gone for good? I wish we would have been warned of this so we could have saved them.

9-Switch places with those generic looking smileys and put the "imported" ones to the top of the list instead. No big deal, but since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it.

I'm starting to agree with some of the others, this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context. This place has yet to start "growing on me". I've been trying this past week or so and it isn't getting any better for me and the negatives do outweigh the positives as far as the changes go. Don't forget the average age of the person on this site is probably early-mid 50's. At 45 i'm one of the younger ones, I can only imagine how the septuagenarians on here feel. They don't care about all this new fangled social media BS, neither do I for that matter. That's what FB and Twitter is for. I no longer feel like i'm on treasurenet anymore when I am on here. I feel like a visitor in a cold foreign land. I don't know, maybe i'm just missing my old (what I considered) "home" so to speak. I'm done venting.
    Last edited by diggummup; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spacing

May 2005
    48 times
    " since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it."

have a good un....
    SHERMANVILLE
    Last edited by SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

us
    Apr 2011
    Mason-Dixon Line
    eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
    6 times
    I have to log in each time, even after checking "save"....what am I missing with that? Nothing was changed on my cookie/security settings.
    So many yards, so little time!

us
    Subterranean Metallogical Locationist

Jan 2009
    Finger Lakes, N.Y.
    Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
    88 times
    Thanks for expressing most of my thoughts on this new format, DGMP. I will add a few more, if it hasn't been mentioned above already---
    My trouble is I can't tell which post I have read before, sometimes the icon turns gray and/or the lettering is not bold. Then the next time I check in, like 3-8 times a day, it's reset and I'll have reread old posts.( I rather be out detecting, reading history, working my gardens or playing music!) The tech team has tried to explain the solution to this, but this geezer just don't get it, or they haven't set it up right yet.
    As far as posting new threads with photos, I'l be trying that later this morn and find out how difficult that will be.

-HEY, T.N.-- please read these grips and get it together-you really don't want a bunch of 'mad pirates' to abandon ship--- da Prof♬♬

us
    Nov 2006
    Florida
    Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
    20 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have said it before, change for the sake of change is none productive!
    They wash their feet 5 times a day, but use their finger instead of Charmin?

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    4714 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I thought I would get used to it but instead I find myself coming here less and less...feels like a chore to come here...I hate the thumbnail pics...sad day for T Net. I still think the old format could have been upgraded and kept the same look...the new owners say they HAD to do this but I think they WANTED to do this. They say there was too much traffic on here for the old system to handle...guess what...not anymore. Ive honestly tried to get used to this but you cant get used to something that is so much worse than the old format. You want our support...admit you made a mistake and go back to the old format.

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2679 times
    Diggummup should be commended for trying to improve the site. Myself Im overwhelmed here and in my personal life and sorry I will not be of much help. I also have to login each time.

One thing I will say is I also cannot find the green check/solved icon and others are missing like a wink and a "dont know" but we have so many new icons, in at least FOUR different places, so many that my screen is not even large enough to see them all!!! Smilie List - TreasureNet - The Original Treasure Hunting Website I also cannot send a PM because my mailbox is full so it appears our space is very limited. . But what does my alloted space have to do with sending a PM?

Dont take it the wrong way. I am no longer going to complain or gripe because it doesnt help anything. This is meant to be constructive.

Digg summed it up it well quote: "this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context."
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 01, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    4714 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I cant even hit the back button and get out of here so I thought I might as well gripe some more...oh the site is going to be better now...THIS IS STUPID...Im not trying to be constuctive, Im mad.

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2679 times
    I found the winking icon but Im sure I will have to jump through loops to post it and I shouldnt have had to search for over a week to find it. We need to downsize and simplify.

I also had trouble using the back button.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 01, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

us
    Feb 2012
    Austin, TX
    147 times
    Guys, I know it may be easier to start your own thread but it certainly makes it harder on us keeping up with 15 threads at once. Please use the existing threads for these issues. I'm going to merge this now.

Treasure Hunting Forum & Metal Detecting Forum - Register for free today!.
    Thread Subscriptions, My Replies, Keeping track of signatures - Explained here!
    Charter Member Forum Chat is live! - Click Here!
    Want to ignore a forum or thread? You can! To learn how click here!
    The Help! Section contains a ton of tutorials on how to use the new system. Click here to visit the Help forum! (Thanks Wicked!)
    Having trouble staying logged in? Check out the instructions for help in this thread!
    How to change the subscription notification type for your threads. Click Here!

us
    Jan 2007
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    Tesoro, Fisher
    1 times
    TreasureNet was a whole lot easier to navigate before these big changes were made. I don't like it now the way it is. Bring back the old way.

us
    Feb 2012
    Austin, TX
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diggummup View Post
    Feel free to add to this thread.

I was going to add this to the New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread. but decided to make a post on it's own so others could add their own concerns to it. I don't know how this will be taken (constructively I hope) but here are my issues after the first week or so of the new forum.

1- I think it was mentioned before, can we get the green check mark back on the "what is it" forum to show whether a post has been solved or not. That was a unique and integral part of that particular forum. Right now I see you've utilized the green check to show "subscribed threads" or to "subscribe" to a forum. Bad move.
    Can you post a screenshot where you are referring to us using the "green check" to show "subscribed threads" -- I'm not seeing what you are seeing. As far as getting that going in the "What is it" forum -- yes, we can get this added back in.

2- Also how come we can't see what child forum our "subscribed threads" are posted in when viewing them from their perspective page under quick links? Had it before.
    Everything isn't going to be the same as it was before. I think it's time we all stop and realize this. Some things we can add back in. Some things can't. This, unfortunately, is not going to be feasible.

3- After replying to a post, I am still on the same thread versus returning to the child forum board itself.
    This is the intended and normal behavior and will not be changing.
    4- You can't see the topic when moving your cursor over the banner as you could before.
    I can (Google Chrome) -- so if your not seeing it, please paste the URL/screen you are at where it's not working and I will look into it.

5- I think the gold TN coin (double-click this icon to mark this forum and it's contents as read) on the left side of each subject board is kinda of useless. I mean who has actually read every subject in an entire forum and why would they need to mark it read to begin with? And why are some of them silver?
    I think you misunderstand the intent of this feature. Let's say you scan a forum and don't see anything that's interesting to you, however you don't want it showing up on your new posts, etc. as unread. Double clicking this marks everything as read so it signifies to the site that you only want to be notified of NEW content in there as unread, not necessarily hundreds of threads that you don't want to read.

Silver coin means every topic in that section has been "read" -- Gold means it contains "new", unread content.
    6- RSS feeds- who cares? except maybe the 20 (or a few 30) somethings. Maybe you are trying to attract a younger type member to the site? The "old" guys are your main member base.
    Does the RSS really take up that much room? It's a tiny tiny icon and it's part of the default installation of VB. I think there is a point where we are asking for small changes just for the sake of small changes. Does the RSS icon hurt anyone? Does it really take up a lot of room? Even if there are only a handful of 20 or 30 somethings that use that feature -- at what point do we stop and say "hey.... we need to remove this feature because only a couple of people use it". There are probably hundreds of features that are only used by a handful of people but there is a point where its more effort to remove it then it is to just leave it, not to mention that if it's useful to someone then why not have it?

7- Certain pages (especially ones with pics and a lot of replies) are still very slow to load in IE8 and Firefox. I do weekly maintenance on my PC's so it's not caused from a build up of anything. Happens on my laptop too which is 4 times the machine my desktop is.
    There is a glitch somewhere.
    How many posts per page are you showing? For those of you showing 80 posts or way up there -- its' going to be somewhat slow. That's a lot of data to send/pull from the database. It's very zippy for me at 30 posts per page but I honestly don't like going much beyond that personally.
    8-What about all of our old bookmarks? I guess they are gone for good? I wish we would have been warned of this so we could have saved them.
    As mentioned in other threads we are still working on integrating this into the new system. They won't be lost, we have them, we just haven't found a good way to get that feature added to this site.
    9-Switch places with those generic looking smileys and put the "imported" ones to the top of the list instead. No big deal, but since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it.
    This can be done easily but again, should we ask ourselves is this what "I" want or is this what the majority of the forum wants. I think this is so subjective that it needs to be a poll. Feel free to start one.

I'm starting to agree with some of the others, this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context. This place has yet to start "growing on me". I've been trying this past week or so and it isn't getting any better for me and the negatives do outweigh the positives as far as the changes go. Don't forget the average age of the person on this site is probably early-mid 50's. At 45 i'm one of the younger ones, I can only imagine how the septuagenarians on here feel. They don't care about all this new fangled social media BS, neither do I for that matter. That's what FB and Twitter is for. I no longer feel like i'm on treasurenet anymore when I am on here. I feel like a visitor in a cold foreign land. I don't know, maybe i'm just missing my old (what I considered) "home" so to speak. I'm done venting.
    I don't understand why anyone keeps mentioning "Social Media BS" -- we don't discuss Social Media here. We don't have a ton of twitter or facebook integration. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that. The site got upgraded. It's different software. It's going to look and feel different. We are trying our best to put as many features back as possible. We are trying our best to incorporate different elements of the old look and feel. But you must realize that this is NEVER going to be the old site, it's NEVER going to look like the old site. We can only come close... so things will be different no matter what we do.

I still see members telling us to switch back to the old software. That's not going to happen. To keep pressuring us to do so is a waste of time. The old software (as has been mentioned, literally, hundreds of times) wasn't changed "just for the sake of change" -- it was changed because it was outdated, broken, buggy, full of security holes and had custom coding holding it together from someone who is no longer associated with the site. It HAD to be changed. If not at that moment then after someone hacked the site, defaced it, stole all the personal information and content and did god knows what to the site that we MAY or MAY NOT HAVE been able to fix.

If your wheel is breaking on your vehicle and your going 60 miles per hour down the road... do you think to yourself "well, it hasn't broken yet, so if it's not broke don't fix it" -- or do you weight the consequences of what would happen IF it breaks and instead decide to nip it in the bud before it REALLY gets bad.

That's what we had to do. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to like it. But it is what it is, and the sooner we all move past getting the old software back and onto making THIS software better the better off we will ALL be.

Treasure Hunting Forum & Metal Detecting Forum - Register for free today!.
    Thread Subscriptions, My Replies, Keeping track of signatures - Explained here!
    Charter Member Forum Chat is live! - Click Here!
    Want to ignore a forum or thread? You can! To learn how click here!
    The Help! Section contains a ton of tutorials on how to use the new system. Click here to visit the Help forum! (Thanks Wicked!)
    Having trouble staying logged in? Check out the instructions for help in this thread!
    How to change the subscription notification type for your threads. Click Here!

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    742 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post
    I can (Google Chrome) -- so if your not seeing it, please paste the URL/screen you are at where it's not working and I will look into it.

I use firefox and I can't do it either.

us
    Mar 2012
    IL,FL,CA,AZ,VA,PA,MI,CO - I get around.
    BH Tracker IV , Garrett Pro Pointer
    4 times
    As someone who owns a web development company I want to say that the upgrade was not just for the sake of change I hear this all the time and it pisses me off. The old version of the forum software had vulnerabilities and less built in mobile support. If you want TN to be able to scale in the future and work better on mobile devices and keep all YOUR data safer this was a MUST. BTW John if you have any issues or questions let me know I have 18+ years of programming exp and about 6 years VB exp.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links