To our new owners, administrators and moderators (and everyone else too)

Do you like the NEW or OLD T-net better?

• NEW is better!

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • OLD was better!

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigos,
Count me among the unhappy with the new format and look. I see that a similar background has been added, which only serves to "trick" the old timers like me into thinking we are on the old format, which is not the case.

What surprises me the most is that the new owners did not try any sort of customer survey before making the sweeping changes. The site just suddenly went down, then re-appeared in a new format, which is way too similar to all the other treasure forums that many of us don't like and don't use. Would it not have been a good idea, before making such sweeping change, to perhaps send out an email questionnaire for the members (you have all of our email addresses and a form letter would do) just to ask what we like and don't like? The members and visitors are what help keep the ad revenue coming in, and some of us are paying members. I pay because I wanted to support the forum, not for the extra features of being a charter member but at this point am not sure I will renew.

I see that we have lost the "New replies" function and have a "subscribe" to replace it, which is clunky by comparison and a nuisance for me. I never realized it but that old "Unread Replies" function was the function I used the most here on T-net. I could sign in, click on that replies button from either toolbar, and presto any thread that I had been participating in that got new posts shows up on a list. Made my limited internet time work - I could sign in and catch up on all the conversations I am following in minutes. Now it is a maze, a hunt to search out to see if there are new posts. I am not interested in what ever is the "hot" topic today, or what someone else just found I mean good for them and all that, but more in a moment. Perhaps there was something about this particular forum that was not noticed in the sale transfer?

Many online forums are focused on one subject, car collectors, or fly fishing, or Little Bighorn afficianadoes, ad infinitum for different subjects; for these forums, the v-bulletin system works alright, for most of the conversation is around one main thing. In treasure hunting there is a w-i-d-e variety of different sorts of treasure hunting, from armchair hunting to geocaching to coin roll hunting to bottle digging (and I am skipping many) and many whom are interested in one or more of those pursuits, are NOT interested in every type of treasure hunting. So a person who dives on sunken wrecks, is not likely to be interested in the 1913 Mercury dime I found in my back yard today - it isn't even a treasure for some folks. Point I am getting at is the idea of the most popular topics and "hottest" for new posts, are not going to appeal to a fairly large segment of the membership since it has nothing to do with their own interests. Heck we often go off into totally non-treasure related topics for discussion matter, from recipes for cornbread to UFOs, politics and religion.

I also realize that we have no vote in the matter, you are the owners and we use your site. I am somewhat of an old-timer on this forum, in fact if you go into the old archives you will find posts from Oroblanco in the early 1990s, but I left the site for several years due to the hostile attitude of some members whom are no longer members and returned in 2005. I don't have time to spend trying to re-learn how to use a site and this forum is the only one I have even tried to keep up on, mainly for the good folks and great conversations, and now am not sure I can do that. The "subscribe" function is (to me) a kludge, not a tool, and will it now track the OLD conversations that still occasionally get posts? Not unless I can go back and hunt through the thousands of pages to find them apparently, and it does happen that someone will post a question for me on a thread that has not been active for two or three years - well now I will not be able to answer them because I can not find them.

One of the old forums I used to frequent was run by Lost Treasure magazine - they pulled the plug on it and it vanished, then not too long ago they attempted to bring it back. The members mainly did not return. Once you drive away your customers it is very hard to get them to come back, look at DesertUSA for an example of what I am talking about. I have to agree with those that think this new format is going to have a sad result on the forum membership. I have owned successful and un-successful businesses in the past and can offer a bit of advice; it is not a good policy to tell unhappy customers to "get used to it or get left behind" for many will choose to just go elsewhere, and bad word-of-mouth advertising spreads faster and farther than good.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but I have been specific about what I dislike. I saw that someone said we were supposed to put our software glitch complaints in a particular thread, well I could not find that at the time I asked about the Unread Replies. I realize you folks are still working on things and have mentioned for us to check back in a week, so I will give it a little more time. :clock: The format is not "growing" on me, in fact I am getting a stronger dislike. Maybe that is just me though. The member who said it is like getting a new car, you just have to learn the new features well no amigo, not a good analogy; it is like waking up in Timbuktu with no map and no clue, with a car that has completely different controls, a steering wheel on the wrong side, hand brakes , clutch and throttle instead of foot and a gear box that is a complete opposite from what your normal vehicle was. There is a McDonald's sign and you see familiar faces but otherwise it is alien. :protest:

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. I don't know if I will be visiting Treasurenet much in the future. I miss the old Treasurenet already. :sadsmiley::sadsmiley::sadsmiley:
Oroblanco

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been here nearly as long as a lot of you but I do dislike the new format the site has taken on

BUT

Because I've been a moderator on another vBulletin forum for the past 6 years, I do understand why the change was made. vBulletin is king when it comes to forum software. It has so much to offer and I'm positive that there will be some "good" that comes out of this. I wasn't going to make any posts defending the change since I didn't really care for it but I'm being realistic here. I feel terrible for the forum "old timers" that have been here a lot longer than me and have so much time invested in sharing their stories, knowledge and treasures. Hopefully they (you, if you are one of them and reading this) will continue to share with us new guys. You make the site worth visiting. This is one of the, if not THE largest forum I've ever been a part of. For the new owners to even be able to switch everything over to new software without losing threads, posts, banner finds etc. is amazing. I haven't been visiting as much since the change but hopefully I'll get used to it because there's no choice.

Just my 2cents

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss the old TreasureNet too. I've been browsing the Wayback Machine - looking at how things were , I found it soothing . Unfortunately , most of the posts I clicked on sent me back to this place . Politics were still the same way.
O well .

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too miss the old TNet, BUT i understand the need to move forward. I will percervere to learn how to use it.

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
this is like anything that is new,if your use to a certain way for a lot of years then bang they change it well,some would say,I'm not going to relearn that stuff. why not you got to learn how to use your computer didn't you,you had to learn how to use a remote didn't you,well then you can relearn how to use this site too.I'm not into new things but if the owners want to update this site then so be it.give it a little time,you may like it Mickie/lol

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I see the writing on the wall now...

Greetings,
I have seen the comments and responses for several days now to the new format and look. I can also see that no matter what we may dislike, this is it. Our new owners and moderators have made it crystal clear that the old Treasurenet is dead and buried, they will not even consider a return to the popular old format, and our choices as members are like it or lump it,

LOVE IT OR LEAVE.

Well I for one am not feeling the love. I saw the arguments about how the old software just "had to go some where" and how it was so "insecure" well I don't want to hear any more of that BS, for you folks didn't even know what some of the basic features and functions of the old system were. You can't be a judge of something without knowing it at all. What this tells me is that you new owners and moderators never even tried out the old system software to see what it was like. That old software also has many available upgrades and updates, and being open source if you were good programmers you could 'doctor' and tweak it to no end. It should have been a noticeable point that with that "old archaic" software you hate so much without even knowing, Treasurenet had the largest membership of any treasure forum, and regardless of the headaches for the administrator, ran pretty smooth and easy for the END USERS. So I don't want to hear how you are so concerned about the people for you really do not care.

In fact, you don't care as you don't know us, you don't know what the old format was like, we don't know you and you don't mind in the slightest if you manage to drive off hundreds of old members for you have already calculated that into your equation. It is all an equation for you.
I didn't like the look and feel of the new format at first look, and after a few days of it have come to hate it. I find myself getting frustrated and aggravated just trying to find the posts relevant to what I was interested in, and I do not go to a forum to get frustrated and angry. I have also seen the repeated comments and snipes about we have to learn a new car, well amigos no one has ever sneaked in to my driveway at night, took away my old pickup and awoke in the morning to find a foreign brand new car with completely alien control systems. So not a good analogy especially as all of those scenarios you list are things which we chose to initiate, not had forced down our throat. Well we are told, we have to learn new software, well when I buy new software and hate it, I remove it from the computer and get something else or go back to what I had before. You offer us only one option, to leave.

Our new administrators and moderators have mentioned how they have worked for hours trying to make folks happy, and again, think of what a similar amount of effort on your part might have done with the old system and no flood of complaints to deal with. That too tells me that you really do not care what we like, dislike or want, we must settle for this or nothing. I have had several courses in computer programming and was a moderator for another forum so what your excuses look like to me are blowing smoke, knowing that most people don't know how the software operates or what goes on behind the scenes.

You have a totally new forum here, so I wish that you would take that "Original Treasurenet" title off your page as it is false advertising. Be honest with your members and put the real name up there:

"THE ALL NEW TREASURENET'

I saw that some friends have already left, and speaking for myself, won't be visiting here very often in future, certainly won't be posting so much for it is rude to not answer someone when you are asked a question and since I can not find the threads and posts that I participate in and don't have the time to search them out, don't want to be rude to anyone.

I wish that I could say I wish you folks luck with your all NEW forum, but I can't; you are driving some of us away and don't care about that so we will lose touch with many friends eventually so for that I blame you. We have seen many a business do just what you folks have done, that is to buy a running concern and make sudden and sweeping changes that you like, but without any thought of how the customers or members might react, only to see the business fail. There are a bunch of failed forums out there. But some people will not learn about good business practice and customer relations any other way than the hardest way.

To all of you members, thank you for having enriched my life, for years now. Many an evening I will remember fondly for the great people and great conversations, not to mention the information. More than once, an evening visit to T-net was a high point for me on an otherwise dark day. You have helped me more than once and I hope that I have helped some of you at least a little at some time. Even when we have disagreed, most often I ended up learning something from our differences and have never really been angry with anyone for our disagreement. I will miss you folks and our discussions and even the lively debates. I have blood pressure issues and don't need the aggravation I have gotten from this - I don't go to a treasure forum to get frustrated and angry.

The new owners asked us to give it time, wait a week, but I see also that they have stated that no major changes are going to be made so for us waiting is their hope that we will just "get used to it" and accept something we do not like. As this new forum is now just like all the other forums out there running on v-bulletin, I will probably visit it about as often as I do those others I don't care for so will still be listed as a member, but I won't even try to keep up on the conversations. Our new owners have told us and made it crystal clear, and their word is final, the old Treasurenet is dead and buried and will never be back. It was great while it lasted.

Please do NOT post any questions for me, or anything that you want me to read, for the probability is that I will never see it so write to me by email or you can find me on other forums as I am always Oroblanco on any forum I belong to.

Good luck and good hunting to you all, thank you again for the years of comraderie, help and great discussions. I truly hope you find the treasures that you seek for you are the best people.
Roy A. Decker ~ Oroblanco

I will leave you coffee, and hope we can share some around a campfire some day
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee::coffee2: :coffee2:

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well I think I can get used to this format, it may take some time to do so. Nobody really likes change, and a lot of people resist it.

But I will say to the owners/admins/mods to listen very carefully to what your members are saying. I realize software needs to be updated as things change and old things will not work properly with upgrades, etc. as I run a busy forum as well on a different subject. If your post count drops dramatically and doesn't return to normal within a month, and the same with your hits/page views, the ship might be sinking. Good luck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that I have noticed--and this bodes very well--is that the new moderators have withstood lots of verbal abuse over the change, and I have not seen any negative words, snippy replies, etc. from them. They have also been willing to make changes, and they realized that they had to get the content transferred over because the content already on the site is what sets TreasureNet apart. BRAVO. I am still learning the site, and rest assured I'm not going anywhere.

-Buckles

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
To the new owners, administrators, moderators, and everyone....

The REAL treasure of treasurenet is members like Oroblanco and Mrs Oro, and many more of the trully facinating
people whose posts have been my main reason for frequenting this site. If they go away, you have
lost the treasure.

May I suggest that one of you personnally contact Oroblano and discuss his particular problem of
not being able to access "New Replies", work with him and find a solution. His vast knowledge of
many subjects and the lively conversations he has been part of is my main reason for reading this
forum. I am sure many others feel the same. It will be a tragedy if you loose Oro,
please, someone make a serious attempt to work this out soon.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been around this site for a while,
from afar. I've seen quite a few changes to TNet and they all seem to have improved the site.
I'm quite impressed with the new format.

I have huge respect for every Treasurenet member who adds their finds and/or knowledge to the site.
It seems people come and people go - as in life.
Some people in life have no choice - it's your choice to continue to add your knowledge to this site, or not.

I'll hang around for a while yet; my God willing.

Cheers, Mike

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I liked the old better, but getting used to the new one.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"the old Treasurenet is dead and buried and will never be back. It was great while it lasted."

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well it has been another week, and I see there still is no UNREAD REPLIES function, and I do not have time to wade through 16 pages of "My Posts" much less go subscribe to over 5000 posts. This is not looking good.
Oroblanco

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old forum is long gone, been 3 years on new forum....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I thought that was the case. Updating and improving is all good - unless you're an old person that is thrown by change.. :occasion14:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can hardly remember the old setup but I remembered it was more fun. Wish Overkill, Overkill was still posting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hardly remember the old setup but I remembered it was more fun. Wish Overkill, Overkill was still posting.
[emoji37]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread