Hey repeat posters - could you save some space for the rest of us!!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How many posts show on page 1 as viewed on your screen? My view shows 50 discussion-starting posts, which at the present moment (1:25AM August 4) date back 51 hours (to 10:44 PM August 1). That indicates it takes a bit more than two full days (48 hours) for a post to get "bumped" off of page 1 by newer posts.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah normally two days before it goes to page 2. You can always bump your own post too.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean but, what can you do? It's a free for all... Not at all like show and tell back in first grade. There was order in the class back in those days. Teacher had her guidelines for show and tell. No rocks unless it is a very interesting one like a fossil, No Kewpie dolls and No more Dinky toys. I did all I could to look for fossils from that point. At least I tried to keep teacher happy.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
What are you talking about??? There are 2 whole days of posts just on the first page as others have noted. You want this site to decrease activity?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold on I have 51 post to make. I'll be right back.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe other people are more actively detecting then you are and find more items to ID. Maybe other people are not as knowledgeable in what they find as you are.

OP
OP
A

ATDigger

Greenie
May 6, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many posts show on page 1 as viewed on your screen? My view shows 50 discussion-starting posts, which at the present moment (1:25AM August 4) date back 51 hours (to 10:44 PM August 1). That indicates it takes a bit more than two full days (48 hours) for a post to get "bumped" off of page 1 by newer posts.

Then you're not reading it correctly. You have to look on the right at the date and time of the last post. On a slow day, you might see a post from the day before. Typically, all the activity is within the past several hours. Most of which is from people bumping their own three or four posts. If you don't believe me, just look at the names.

OP
OP
A

ATDigger

Greenie
May 6, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you're correct, I could bump my own post and skip ahead of somebody else, if I want to stay on here all day, but like many, I don't have time. I work , I have a family and in my spare time I enjoy my hobby. Occasionally I find something interesting that's unknown to me and I look to the folks with expertise on this forum, as I'm sure many do. I'll post in the evening and check back the next day only to find my post two or three pages down. I don't know about you, but I generally only look at the first page of posts - maybe two, if I have time. I would assume many of you do the same. So a one or two page bump can mean the difference in getting your question answered or not.

OP
OP
A

ATDigger

Greenie
May 6, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not looking to decrease traffic or any of the other absurd retorts that have been offered here. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask folks to combine a couple of pics or posts into one, or God forbid,, not post every hunk of rusted crap they find. And my expertise or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. I'm sorry, but I have to believe that even the newest of newbies can tell a hunk of iron slag or can slaw from something of interest.

If you want to get angry because I have an opinion, fine. Obviously I can't force anyone to change, and as I said I'm not whining or being a d**k. I thought that perhaps a polite plea to be thoughtful might encourage some to think before they post. Take it as you will, but that's how I feel.

Enjoy and happy hunting. .:icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
For a newcomer with only 17 posts under your belt, ironically- four of which are spent here crabbing about hogging the board, you certainly are opinionated.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have to admit this is one of the stranger posts I have seen,in this section.Usually if your post doesnt get answered it either is un-identifiable,or we are looking for further info.The questions that likely get missed are the ones posted in Today's Finds

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then you're not reading it correctly. You have to look on the right at the date and time of the last post. On a slow day, you might see a post from the day before. Typically, all the activity is within the past several hours. Most of which is from people bumping their own three or four posts. If you don't believe me, just look at the names.

Okay, I see what you are saying. So I checked, doing it your way.

If a post gets zero replies, it gets pushed down the page, eventually onto page 2. You've claimed that it gets "bumped to the second or third page within a hour or so" (those are your exact words.) So I checked your claim in the way you suggested. Here is the result: At the moment, the oldest "discussion-starting" post with zero replies is on page 2 as post 29. It is titled "1800s Button & Hair Piece" and it was made on July 31 at 9:39PM. To check how long it took to get bumped to page 2, I counted 50 posts forward in time (which took me onto page 1), to a post which got its last reply on August 3 at 4:53PM. This means 68 hours passed before the zero-replies post got pushed 50 places down the line and thus wound up on page 2.

Checking another way... at the moment, the oldest REPLY-POST on page 1 (located at the very bottom, position #50) is dated Aug. 2 at 7:38AM. Thus it is 52 hours old.

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should have something different, or interesting to say.....Many posts are simply the same as other's and skipped over, title you post introduction with something catching, and I think you will see the difference. Realize that there are thousands of members posting, and while your post is important to you, so are all the other ones. This is a community, and everyone has equal access, give it some time and see how the restb handle it...Welcome and only hope your stay , and interest grows....Gary

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe learn HOW to use the forum before trying to dictate how others use it...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At any given moment:

[h=2]Online Users: 2,505[/h]

310 members and 2,195 guests

Lots to be said, not sure what the right answer is. You can try and ignore certain threads with the thread tools, but folks are here. Have fun, and good luck with the forum Etiquette.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....from my observations.....a female in your Avatar will glean you all knds of attention......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread