Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American 'Mudlarking' forum suggestion

I love this site-- T-Net ROCKS! But sometimes I have trouble figuring out where to post. I know true Mudlarkers also use metal detectors, but often there's stuff to find just surface-hunting- which is what I do. And I find a ridiculous array of things- all with stories to tell of time/place/history of a particular site. I rarely use a MD because every place I've been has too many dumps- and far too much iron either in soil or due to said dumps. So... I end up showing a picnic plate of 'stuff' on an artifact forum- where only a couple pieces really belong- and no one really cares about the rest... BUT- how about pipes? How about gun flints? How about random pottery/China shards- which might be identifiable? How about the stuff that isn't metal that's just as interesting as the bits and pieces all the MDers find all the time? Doll parts (not plastic!)?, jewelry pieces (I'm thinking of some onyx beads I found- which aren't detectable w/ a MD. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't fall into any category specifically, and would be completely acceptable in a forum like American Mudlarking. The would be a forum not about value (as in something someone collects, trades, sells)- but about rough-shod history.

Often here I find that folks say- 'I look for this' or 'I generally hunt for that' but found this along the way... and they find a forum they never saw before... I keep my eye out for everything. I'd love to have a forum for that! What do you think? (it helps to check out this site to see what I mean ;)) https://sites.google.com/site/thamesandfield6/try-mudlarking

Thanks for your consideration! Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread