Treasurenet not a secure site.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ain't right man.:laughing7::laughing9::laughing7::3some:Your bride must gave you an extreme roundhouse kick to the head.:laughing7:

Or perhaps already has, way too many times.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my search bar? This is the only website that does it that I can tell Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox I don't like it but am I just paranoid or does anyone else worry about that type of thing? It really bothers me, someone please explain.

You are indeed being paranoid. About all that an HTTPS URL would do is to encrypt your password so it isn't transmitted as plain text over the Internet. That is not something I am terribly concerned about when accessing a metal detecting forum, since everything you post on this forum is already readable to anyone else.

Those three websites you mentioned (or, actually, linked to) are hardly the only HTTPS sites out there, though. If your bank and your doctor's office's portal are not HTTPS, you'd better get worried about that.

If you are still concerned about it, consider using the HTTPS Everywhere browser add-on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPS_Everywhere

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think privacy concerns since before the age of the internet is even an issue anymore. About 35 years ago when the internet was starting to explode, I went into a local PayLess drug store to buy a fishing license. The guy selling the license asked my phone number. When I gave it to him he entered it. I was standing where I could see the screen... all kinds of information about me popped up on the screen. It was then that I concluded that in this electronic age we didn't have any real privacy and never will have again. There is no reason to worry about it because there is more information about each of us out there than you would believe! And when you consider all the large supposedly "secure" sites that are always being hacked there really is NO privacy. No sense in worry about a "unsecure" site like T-Net.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The web site is for the most part free and we do not have any banking information on anyone or sell anything. The only thing one could gain would be your post and we all can read what you post anyway. I had wondered about it as well.

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
The way I look at it is, Nothing is really secure. Banks are hacked, Governments are hacked, cars, cell phones, so enjoy what you want to enjoy(this site) and stress over really important stuff like when will you be able to go out and hunt again. Ive said it for years, if someone steals my identity, I'm going to be rich, because after they find out how screwed up I am, I'm going to charge them thousands of dollars to take me back.

Bingo!

Here is what I learned from being a current senior in CompSci and knowing a locksmith:

Security is meant to deter, not prevent, intrusion. There is no such thing as a totally secure system/lock anywhere! Everything made by man is penetrable with the right skills, from locks to computer systems.

The key is to be aware of this and not rely on security as prevention but instead "security as detection" so as to minimize loss....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions