Member status upgrade idea

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I'd like to acknowledge member Red-Coat. He has made a HUGE knowledge contribution to this site since December 2019. His knowledge of various culture's artifacts/antiques is amazing! A valuable member to the site.

I'm guessing Member status upgrades (green, full .... etc) are determined by how many posts the member makes. Is there a way to modify that process to also include how many thumbs up they receive and how much important info they contribute to the site? A quality post not just quantity approach. Thanks for this site and I enjoy participating in it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yang Hao,
One way to address the situation might be to ask the mods if they would be open to the suggestion of creating a (non-binding) survey as to how treasurenet.com might be improved, including the 'rewards' aspect.
Don....

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it would be a mistake to focus on status/popularity - Am guessing most posters never even consider that, I sure don't.

There is no sure way to filter out and mark useful contributors, as what you think is useful I may not, or the next guy. On any forum you'll find people making dozens of inane posts a day, mostly saying "Good find !" or "Way to go !". I think most do it simply to inflate their post count and that can be annoying when they keep bumping up threads with their comments, but theres nothing much to be done about it, maybe a software solution would require a post to contain at least 20 characters, that would stop some of the chaff and encourage quality content.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member's likes receive are already recorded, status/popularity would be peoples personal opinions and would just cause problems.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I'd like to acknowledge member Red-Coat. He has made a HUGE knowledge contribution to this site since December 2019. His knowledge of various culture's artifacts/antiques is amazing! A valuable member to the site.

I'm guessing Member status upgrades (green, full .... etc) are determined by how many posts the member makes. Is there a way to modify that process to also include how many thumbs up they receive and how much important info they contribute to the site? A quality post not just quantity approach. Thanks for this site and I enjoy participating in it.

Yang Hao... it's extremely kind of you to say that. From a personal perspective, I have no particular interest in forum 'ratings', whether from the 'like' button, number of posts, or those tags that appear under one's avatar. I post in the hope that I have somehow helped, and if I have needed to do some research to back up an opinion then I regard that as also having helped add to my own knowledge. It's gratifying when people take the time to say 'thank you' if I have helped but, if they don't, that's fine too.

Oh. Wait. What am I saying? Of course the ratings matter. Just as soon as I get that "Silver Member" badge I'll be printing out my profile on a sheet of A3 and getting it laminated so I can wear it like an enormous sash whenever I go to the pub.

PS: you've made some great contributions yourself.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know “counts” and status mean a whole lot to some people here.

I can’t respect that much, but I understand it.

How many people actually look at the member status? I only notice when there is a potentially baited post from someone with a handful of past posts. Otherwise people are treated by me with the same respect that they give others.

I do pay attention to who is a charter member, knowing they are contributing $$ to keep this site going.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats status, is it the silver/gold bricks ?

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The quest for "likes" and so forth, as is popular on other more well-known forums, is a bad idea, IMHO. It leads to content intent on seeking the likes, rather than on content that might be more personal or more valuable. Moreover, "software solutions", on those same well-known platforms, lead to ranking of content based on some algorithm, which, IMHO, is a form of censorship. I would just leave sleeping dogs lie on this forum.

I think most of us are capable of seeking out the content we personally find valuable without the need for rankings and software solutions.

OP
OP
Yang Hao

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the red ribbons? If there was a Red ribbon for helping others with solving their treasure find mysteries (much like the Honorable Mention ribbon/Banner finds) I would nominated Red-Coat. In fact why can't the Honorable Mention ribbon be used in that fashion?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red ribbon is for charter members, so you could get one any time you'd like [or maybe buy one for Red-Coat] with a few $$.

You have publicly thanked Red-Coat, not sure why you see the need to do more. He helped you, now you can help others, thats how it works, no one needs a pat on the back to help others and share expertise.

OP
OP
Yang Hao

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red ribbon is for charter members, so you could get one any time you'd like [or maybe buy one for Red-Coat] with a few $$.

You have publicly thanked Red-Coat, not sure why you see the need to do more. He helped you, now you can help others, thats how it works, no one needs a pat on the back to help others and share expertise.

Not the honorable mention red ribbon. I did quick search and noticed non charter members with that ribbon.

Not talking about beside the name red ribbon. I didn’t mention that one so I guess you didn’t read my post properly.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not the honorable mention red ribbon. I did quick search and noticed non charter members with that ribbon.

Not talking about beside the name red ribbon. I didn’t mention that one so I guess you didn’t read my post properly.

Oh ok, never noticed it.
I don't mean to be a jerk, some members indeed go above and beyond helping others out, no doubt about it. Would be best to emulate them insofar as possible - Takes all kinds to make a forum !

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yang Hao... it's extremely kind of you to say that. From a personal perspective, I have no particular interest in forum 'ratings', whether from the 'like' button, number of posts, or those tags that appear under one's avatar. I post in the hope that I have somehow helped, and if I have needed to do some research to back up an opinion then I regard that as also having helped add to my own knowledge. It's gratifying when people take the time to say 'thank you' if I have helped but, if they don't, that's fine too.

Oh. Wait. What am I saying? Of course the ratings matter. Just as soon as I get that "Silver Member" badge I'll be printing out my profile on a sheet of A3 and getting it laminated so I can wear it like an enormous sash whenever I go to the pub.

PS: you've made some great contributions yourself.
Red-Coat you are a TRUE ASSET to this forum thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread