Got a Trommel? LET SEE IT!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
however i am not sure why you are digging so high up.. when i am out digging, my dirt comes from under my feet and as deep as i can get. i would think the better gold comes from lower. you need a conveyor that takes your material UP to your feed hopper.. OR NOT.. lol.. just sayin..
You folks from the wetlands crack me up. You are always looking down for your gold. I realize that's because that's where you find it in the wetlands but gold isn't always better deeper down.

You see that spindly bunch of dried out twigs in the top of the picture? (That's a tree in it's prime in my neighborhood) Notice the lack of any real vegetation? Dry loose dirt no mud or clay? See how the rocks and soil in the bank haven't been sorted and rounded. In the desert the gold doesn't have water pushing things around to sort that gold down through the soil to bedrock. You would get zero gold with your dredge and stream sluice in the desert. Different tools and strategies are needed.

Floods in the desert just cut the washes deeper and create more benches like the one in the picture. In the desert it's mostly wind and gravity that move gold. Gold doesn't move very far or very fast in the desert.

Gold is where you find it and in the desert a wise prospector looks up to the bedrock benches above for good gold. An even wiser prospector might notice that he could use gravity to feed his DRYwasher below the bench he's working.

Or I got it all backwards and he is trying to send his trommel product uphill to his stream sluice?:laughing7:

I agree about the need for center support but this is just proof of concept from what I read. Who knows, maybe this will lead to the next whizzbang gimcracky doodad every desert miner needs. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trommel Outer Drum is 4ft x 16ft with 8 Reverse Helix Spirals
Trommel Inner Drum is 3ft x 18ft
Turbo Charged Cummins Diesel Power Plant
Fully Adjustable Hydraulic Drive Motors Speed Control
Coarse Material (Screw) Washer

Attachments

• IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6709.JPG
    IMG_6709.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6705.JPG
    IMG_6705.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6706.JPG
    IMG_6706.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6707.JPG
    IMG_6707.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6698.JPG
    IMG_6698.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks great. where are you going to run it?

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks great. where are you going to run it?
Unfortunately it is way to large for the roads leading to the properties I have for mining at this time. The machine was built 10+ years ago by an older fella I was told passed away before he ever got to put it to work. I was told it was purchased at an estate sale a short time back and move to a storage yard where it sat until it was again put up for sale. I purchased it March 2021, made it road worthy and had it moved to the location it is now stored.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
About 15 or so years ago I went to a outing in Indiana with Chuck Lassiter on a small tributary . Chuck brought his Trommel that he just built and it was and I was totally impressed with it ! EVERYTHING was electrically adjustable ! conveyor speed , conveyor angle ,........ It was a machine to behold! It was feed with a backhoe ! I wish someone had some pics of it and who currently owns it .Probley Chuck:occasion14:

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trommel Outer Drum is 4ft x 16ft with 8 Reverse Helix Spirals
Trommel Inner Drum is 3ft x 18ft
Turbo Charged Cummins Diesel Power Plant
Fully Adjustable Hydraulic Drive Motors Speed Control
Coarse Material (Screw) Washer
She's on her way to a new home, somewhere in the area of Helena Montana. So give her a wave if you see her on her travel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread