Trommel for coins

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey gang, If there were (theoretically) a beach-side construction project, at a historic old recreation beach frontage. And if the project required excavating out all the sand beneath said-historic-location beach-side location with heavy equipment (to create footings, basement, etc... for the incoming structure). And the construction company has 2 options with the excess sand: If it's clean enough , they can dump it out on to the beach, to let the high tides take it away, no problem. But if it's got debri in it (old lumber, concrete fragments, etc...), then that portion of the sand/spoils is required to be trucked off.

And let's say that the contractor is wise to the fact there's bound to be old coins in the sand, yet also wise to the fact that the local md'rs will be "all over this" the minute that sand is dumped out on to the beach. Doh! So let's say that he has the option, at his own expense, to trommel the sand first. He can rent an industrial size trommel, and .... as he scoop out with his excavators, simply dump it into the trommel, eh ? To "clean" the sand , before being dumped out on to the beach. It can just be considered a part of the job, with the awarding agency (city, beach-side amusement co., or whomever) not blinking or thinking twice, as to his choice of thorough-ness :tongue3:

So what sort of Trommel can process sand this quickly with rotating spinning drums? We're talking dozer/excavator bucket loads of 2 to 4 yards at a time (enough to fill the back of a pickup truck in a single bucket load!).

Do you see any short-falls or cautions or tips for such a process ? Do you know, or have you heard, of anyone taking highly productive historic beach sand (like at old carnival or boardwalk heavily-trodden back-dune type sand....) and doing this ? What was their results ? What's the rental rates, and who rents stuff at this large-of-a-caliber ?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you would have to have a trommel that classified to 1/8 or 1/4 inch and I am not sure they go to that size range for the size of equipment you would need for the job.
Great idea though. Remember there will be more than coins in that... Like jewelry too.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maxresdefault.jpg

MFSB

Greenie
Sep 7, 2014
Helendale
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sounds to me like spending a lot of money to capture very little. I would imagine you might be better off, contacting some local clubs, offer it up for a fun get together. Invite a bunch of people out and have a great time, make friends, and probably even some connections for future work. If nothing else have a great time!

Or you could contact the same clubs, tell them you can't do it for free and charge like 10 bucks per person, all you do is dump the sand, and collect their cash.

Finding a bunch of coins would be great though, and if you can figure out a way to charge it as company expense, equipment or such, I bet you could get your accountant to work it into your taxes somehow.

KimberlyV

Greenie
Apr 12, 2016
California/Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A trommel is not the tool for screening treasure from beach sand. If you are looking to screen rings, coins, and other valuables out of beach sand; the ideal tool is an archaeology sifting screen. A simple frame stretching a 1/8 to 1/4 inch screen. The sand passes through leaving the treasures resting on top.

For your dilemma consider consider setting up a grizzly rock screen to sort off your industrial products lumber, rebar etc. Beneath the grizzly set a sifting screen with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch wire mesh (as opposed to screening to accommodate your buckets weight). The industrial product will fall off the grizzly, the sand will pass through the sifting screen, but will hold the treasured items.

Also note the following:

Keep an eye out for fragile or breakable items like antique cans, bottles, signs or similar items. You will want to hand pick these as opposed to letting them get broken by your excavator.

You will also want to hand pick larger antiques such as old bicycles or furniture.

If you have a right to it. I have a feeling your biggest treasure may be carrying off and selling the reclaimed lumber.

Good luck with your hunt.

Hugs,

KimberlyV

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely something I've thought about for processing old bottle dump material, and sand is much easier to work with. Land reclamation screening apparatuses, like those offered at samscreen.com look like they would do the trick.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said already, You would need a 2-stage process; a large grizzley to remove oversized material and a secondary screen to separate sand from the small items. Static screens cant work for this because they will just pack up, so you need something that rotates or shakes. A trommel would work great as long as it's set up properly ( not like a gold recovery!) You would want to collect the trommel "waste" and need to use a loader to keep removing the sand that is screened off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread