my trommel build

Mar 6, 2015
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_0301[1].JPG IMG_0400[1].JPG IMG_0391[1].JPG IMG_0390[1].JPG IMG_0333[1].JPG IMG_0329[1].JPG IMG_0369[1].JPG IMG_0376[1].JPG IMG_0318[1].JPG IMG_0314[1].JPG IMG_0315[1].JPG IMG_0305[1].JPG IMG_0471[1].JPG

Worked on this over the winter. Lost some motivation along the way but ended up finishing day before we left for trip. No testing prior but luckily everything ran good.
Specs:
- 5' long, 12" id-3/4" pvc piping. 1560 holes 3/8" diameter. 15" classifying zone.
- 1 hp 1750 Rpm motor to 10:1 gearbox with a rotation of 20 rpm. Used synchronous belts one upside down on trommel and same for driver (worked really well absolutely no belt slippage while under good load)
- Modifications to do:
- I did cut down the legs by 10"s before trip to lower for easier shovelling height.
- Feed hopper is from a grain auger (purchased at UFA). Cut down to fit, just have to touch up.
- Found some of the holes plugged up a fair bit due to the thickness of piping. So gonna cut out sections and insert some punch plate.
- Couple other minor things but I was really impressed the way this thing worked.

** I viewed AZ Vipers build for my inspiration. (Thanks AZ Viper your build was top notch and very informative.):headbang: IMG_0677[1].JPG IMG_0678[1].JPG IMG_0698[1].JPG

** I ended up cutting out the sections of all my drilled holes as they were plugging up. I inserted stainless steel punchplate 3/8" holes. Put a paint job on it. Used plasti-dip for the barrel paint. I still have to modify my feed hopper but will have done soon i hope.

Attachments

• IMG_0459[1].JPG
    IMG_0459[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0460[1].JPG
    IMG_0460[1].JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0450[1].JPG
    IMG_0450[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice build, Sherwood. I like it! Post some videos of the results, if you have time.
Jim

OP
OP
S
Mar 6, 2015
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
would love to post a video but having trouble. Will keep trying.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I post mine to my Youtube channel. Then I put in a link on here, and the video pops up in the thread.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- Found some of the holes plugged up a fair bit due to the thickness of piping. So gonna cut out sections and insert some punch plate.

Nice build ! AzViper has advised to not use thick material for the barrel, for the same reason you found out yourself ! :icon_thumleft: I was going to use a 3.0 mm gauge as AzViper did, but I needed my trommel to be light/compact enough to get it packed in a small area/moved to long distances without making me very tired :laughing7: so I made it of 1 mm thick gauge. When it wears out I have another one in the making.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Nice looking. Nice wash area before screening which is very important. Hoser John posted a trick years ago that really helps the rock in the hole problem. Chamfer your holes on the inside where the rocks slide by.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I solved the drilled hole problem on mine by cutting out a section and sleeving the barrel with expanded metal. Punch plate should work just as well and I experienced no problems with the drum integrity.

drum.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was going to build one just like GGs ! Ive got all the parts sitting there in my shop BUT being a F.O.G. im not going to build it! Plus ive run out of spaces to store it anyway!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to build one just like GGs ! Ive got all the parts sitting there in my shop BUT being a F.O.G. im not going to build it! Plus ive run out of spaces to store it anyway!

I know what you mean about running out of space Russ, not only that but now that age is creeping up on me (65) I'm finding less and less use for bulky equipment that is too labor intensive. Besides the loading and unloading and getting it set up the fact that my 15" trommel eats paydirt as fast as two men can shovel is enough to wear me out just thinking about it. :tongue3:

I'm in the process of building a mini floating 3" dredge/highbanker/sluice/combo on wheels that makes use of a quick and easy to clean detachable fluid bed gold trap to make life easier while maintaining the ability to run a good amount of material. My 4" dredge is getting to be just too much work if you know what I mean and I think you do. This way I'll have just one small manageable piece of equipment that will easily convert to the task at hand.

I have to downsize as my Wife and I are selling the house/property and going RV'ing full time. My nephew is getting the 4" dredge but all our other belongings/equipment that wont fit into a 40' motorhome or the towed Jeep will be sold/auctioned off.

GG~

Last edited:

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one considering full timing. I am converting an Eagle bus for that purpose and plan to be homeless in a couple more years.

Wes

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one considering full timing. I am converting an Eagle bus for that purpose and plan to be homeless in a couple more years.

Wes

Going to be hard parting with my trommel, ore crusher, slate miller table, gold vac, table saw, drill press, m416 adventure trailer, etc. and other belongings but we're excited about going full time gypsy. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet up on a dig somewhere.

vac.jpg pv.jpg diy.jpg miller1.jpg hgd1.jpg tra4.jpg

Most likely we will hole up somewhere in Florida during the winters and work the beaches for bling and such. The rest of the year we plan to gold, gem and treasure hunt so there is no telling where that will take us. Canada, Alaska, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, are on the list to name a few.

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to know that you should part with such creations, that you spent time and energy into building and modifying them :crybaby2: but at some point in our lives we have to make such hard decisions like these. Lucky folks who would buy some of your gears. Top class craftsmanship and easy to mod/repair :headbang:

May be someday you can make it over our way in Africa ? You'll be always welcome if you decide to try the tropics :hello: :hello2:

I have had learned a lot from your posts (makes) :icon_thumleft:
Hope you find a bunch of the yellow stuff every way you go :goldbar: :goldbar:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
GG,,,, Ginger and I are getting real close to going full time. I had a few health issues that set us back a little. Looking at Fifth Wheels and Motorhomes, trying to see which will be a better fit. We are back in Louisiana at this time, as obama has shut down our pipeline project.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodyguy, where did you get that trailor ? that is exactly what i have been looking for.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodyguy, where did you get that trailor ? that is exactly what i have been looking for.

It's an M416 military trailer used behind jeeps during the Vietnam war. I bought mine off Craigslist but they are getting harder and harder to find.
I have mine listed for $1495 picked up here in Indiana. That price includes two spare tires on rims and a pintle hitch.
Prices on them vary according to condition and outfitting for use as an adventure trailer.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Mar 6, 2015
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did a modification for the plugged barrel. Hopefully this works. Barrel was about 60% plugged.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread