Trommel idea questions

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've got an idea in my head that I'll probably start on this weekend but I had some questions for people who've built trommels in the past. I'm wanting to build a small portable trommel that would sit over a sluice that was in the water. I'm in Oregon and I'm trying to bypass the issues that have come up with pumps and dredges, highbanking, and motorized equipment etc, avoiding a whole series of issues with rules and permits. Sluicing is legal still, thankfully, can be done year around and doesn't require a permit as long as the sluice isn't connected to the trommel all the trommel ends up being is a rotating screen and wash station.

So what I'm thinking is a hand cranked trommel, that can be placed over a sluice, with an attached hang crank water pump working off the same crank to wash rocks, rather than shoveling into a screen, screening into a bucket, moving the bucket to the sluice, feeding material into the sluice, then moving back to the digging area. Just dump, crank one handle, water pumps up and the trommel turns, gold....

My questions are:
-What kind of sprocket and rollers do you use for your trommel?
-Has anyone used a rotating hand crank water pump before? If so does anyone have a suggestion for the pump to make sure I haven enough rock washing water?
-Typically what is the downward angle of the trommel to sufficiently put discarded material out the end?
-Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

I'll post more as I get it and I'll for sure post the build when it's in progress

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had thought about the same kind of set up at one point, then
I realized a Bazooka sluice would do the same job as all that hardware.

Don't work hard...work smart..:occasion14:

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hmm not super familiar with them, do you still have to screen and limit your input in to the sluice or just go for broke on it?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am building one of these...Mike's trommel. Cheap. easy why not?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'am building one of these...Mike's trommel. Cheap. easy why not?

Built one a couple years ago, and it does a fine job
with dry material. If you're running riverbank material
you'll definitely want a good spray bar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread