with low water - 1st attempt to reciculate

jrib1

Jul 22, 2016
Ascutney, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 , Bounty Hunter, Keene dredge/hibanker, Keene sluice, Garrett. Pinpointed, rock crusher, miller table, gold miner spiral wheel,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• HPIM3325.JPG
    HPIM3325.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 230

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like everything about it except for the PVC legs. They are fragile for supporting weight. The mechanics and setup look really good.

OP
OP
J

jrib1

Jul 22, 2016
Ascutney, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 , Bounty Hunter, Keene dredge/hibanker, Keene sluice, Garrett. Pinpointed, rock crusher, miller table, gold miner spiral wheel,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got steel legs but trying to figure. Best length, I classified and panned material I put thru it, looks like sluice caught all the black sand, now I just have to find where the gold is ! HAHA

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhh the joys of recirculating! Recirculating trommel is the way I roll in dry areas, just cant bring myself to drywash.

Couple of observations and suggestions for everyone that recirculates will encounter. Tailings management will be one of the biggest issues you will have to deal with, you will lose quite a bit of your precious water in the wet tailings. You will have to screen your water before it goes into your pump or you will have excess pump problems as well as spray bar plug ups. Think about how you will easily clean the screen during operation when designing your system. Spray bars should have holes larger than your screen size to minimize plug ups and removable/accessible caps on the end for when they do plug up.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ohhh the joys of recirculating! Recirculating trommel is the way I roll in dry areas, just cant bring myself to drywash.

Couple of observations and suggestions for everyone that recirculates will encounter. Tailings management will be one of the biggest issues you will have to deal with, you will lose quite a bit of your precious water in the wet tailings. You will have to screen your water before it goes into your pump or you will have excess pump problems as well as spray bar plug ups. Think about how you will easily clean the screen during operation when designing your system. Spray bars should have holes larger than your screen size to minimize plug ups and removable/accessible caps on the end for when they do plug up.
And / or a way to access the spray bars to clean out the material that WILL build up in them!

OP
OP
J

jrib1

Jul 22, 2016
Ascutney, VT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made a wooden frame and window screen, lbut I have to keep cleaning the screen, material piles up, thought by classifing before sluice it would work, next time I would put finer mesh inside trommel as the gold is small in this area.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made a wooden frame and window screen, lbut I have to keep cleaning the screen, material piles up, thought by classifing before sluice it would work, next time I would put finer mesh inside trommel as the gold is small in this area.

Just my opinion...I would not classify my feed finer than about 1/4" and rely on the sluice to trap even the finest of gold. I think you will actually lose gold from your trommel if it is lined with a fine screen due to the screen partially blinding off (plugging as did your framed screen) thus allowing some or a lot of the fines to report to the trommel tails along with the oversize material.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jrib1

Jul 22, 2016
Ascutney, VT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good info, I went from 1/2 to 1/4 screen in trammel, will try it. Soon, tnx

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good info, I went from 1/2 to 1/4 screen in trammel, will try it. Soon, tnx

I have the same trommel, and my experience is that 1/4" is about as small as you
can go. I've tried a 1/8" mesh and it needed about twice the water flow from the
spray bar, and was a PITA to keep clean of debris that would hang up in it.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jrib... in reference to your picture... it looks like you have maybe a 5gallon bucket cut up and attached to the pvc frame to direct your material into the sluice box?

OP
OP
J

jrib1

Jul 22, 2016
Ascutney, VT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it's 2 pieces of metal tried different openings,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread